User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 240

  1. #81
    Rogue heart
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Also:
    Likes Hard, an hero, Floki liked this post

  2. #82
    Rogue heart
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Last one I promise


  3. #83
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    There are two questions here:

    What colour is the dress?

    What colour is the photo of the dress?
    There's actually a third part, which is still your eyes see the colors in the photo, since even in a picture I make in a graphics program, I can make pure gray look like another color by putting it next to another color, and dark gray look black by putting it next to white, etc...

    That is of course the ultimate outcome that causes people to take their stance.

    EDIT: actually, there's an intermediate step, too. The dress has physical properties we would say gives a color, typically, but it also depends on the light it is being put in. That is, even outside of the photo, if you were right there, the dress will appear differently based on the brightness, hue, and saturation of the light cast upon it.

    So: Dress > Lighting > Photo > Your eyeballs.

    I saw it is blue and black, but I also immediately saw it as blue and black muddled by lighting and the artifacting of the camera. I wonder if that sort of awareness makes a difference. The fact that the dress is actually blue and black means little, because, as you said, no one is actually seeing the dress, they are just seeing the photo. The photo itself lacks context, and what's more, if you read the colors in a graphics program, you find it is more like gold and blue in the photo, which is neither what the dress is nor what anyone is reporting to see. Both camps are making a guess based on sub-conscious heuristics.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #84

    Default

    I see it as gold and white for a second and then the white changes to blue. So blue and gold.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

  5. #85
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's actually a third part, which is still your eyes see the colors in the photo, since even in a picture I make in a graphics program, I can make pure gray look like another color by putting it next to another color, and dark gray look black by putting it next to white, etc...

    That is of course the ultimate outcome that causes people to take their stance.

    EDIT: actually, there's an intermediate step, too. The dress has physical properties we would say gives a color, typically, but it also depends on the light it is being put in. That is, even outside of the photo, if you were right there, the dress will appear differently based on the brightness, hue, and saturation of the light cast upon it.

    So: Dress > Lighting > Photo > Your eyeballs.
    Why does it change for some of us? Same dress, same lighting, same photo, same eyeballs, same context, same screen, same viewing angle, etc. etc. but I've seen it look both ways. I would have sworn on my mother's grave at first that it was white and gold and I thought the people who saw blue and black were nuts, but then it started to look blue and black to me and I can't unsee that.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

  6. #86
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Why does it change for some of us? Same dress, same lighting, same photo, same eyeballs, same context, same screen, same viewing angle, etc. etc. but I've seen it look both ways. I would have sworn on my mother's grave at first that it was white and gold and I thought the people who saw blue and black were nuts, but then it started to look blue and black to me and I can't unsee that.
    Well, I don't have any idea why only some, perhaps a small minority, of people experience that. But it's not surprising that it would happen at all. There are some optical illusions where it happens pretty dependably. If you've ever seen pictures like the Rubin vase or the duck rabbit, it's worth noting that must people will see both forms of the image.

    I'd actually say the bigger mystery is why THIS picture is so polarizing. It seems to me that most of the time an illusion is either so robust that basically everyone always sees the same thing, or it's a situation where just about everyone sees both.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #87
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Fun thing I just did. I just looked at the photo again, and then adjusted my laptop screen back and forth. The further back it went, the more it looked blue and black, the further forward it went, the more it looked white and gold.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #88
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,639

    Default

    I want to know the origins of this whole thing. I frankly don't care about why people see different things or what color the dress is. Like, what the hell is this whole thing? WHY the hell is this thing? The internet is a strange place...
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes Legion liked this post

  9. #89
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    I want to know the origins of this whole thing. I frankly don't care about why people see different things or what color the dress is. Like, what the hell is this whole thing? WHY the hell is this thing? The internet is a strange place...
    Much what I've been thinking, even if I do find explaining the reasons for this interesting.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #90
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Much what I've been thinking, even if I do find explaining the reasons for this interesting.
    But you're not explaining the reasons for this. Nothing you have explained about optics has been news to me (I have a geology minor, I studied optics) but neither is it a satisfying explanation for THIS phenomenon. A ton of different smartypantses, including you, have come up with The Definitive Answer For Why This Happens, and they're all different, and none of them satisfy me. WIRED, Scientific American, blah blah blah. They all require something about the context to be different (background, viewing angle, screen settings, whatever) for the people to see it differently but that's not the case. People are looking at this thing at the same time, from the same angle, in the same setting, on the same screen, and seeing VERY different colors. It's not like some of us see light blue and some of us see dark blue, or some of us see black and some of us see grey. It's just weird, and it hasn't been satisfactorily explained as far as I'm concerned. Other optical illusions have plausible explanations so I might go "huh, that's neat" and move on, but this is truly weird, IMO.
    Likes Rasofy, Craft liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Do ENFPs prefer black or blue ink?
    By Nonsensical in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM
  2. Green Olives or Black Olives ?
    By kuranes in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. Do You Dream In Colors or In Black/White?
    By tblood in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:07 AM
  4. White, gray, black and colorless
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO