User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    Omg light! LIGHT! LIIIIIGHT! I still don't understand that people don't see it? The light cast on it may make it look weird but it's so black. Some shitty black that's not jet black, but black nonetheless. Obvs it's yellow light cast down.

Attachment 13363

The real dress.
    The question was, 'which pair of colors do you see in this dress?' You cannot see black there, you have to substract the lighting effects to conclude that it is black, which, in my vocabulary book, exceeds the definition of seeing.

This is black/blue:

How anyone can see white there is still beyond me.

MBTI
    yupp

at first i saw white and gold then later on in the night i was seeing blue and black and the same picture will switch colors and i know for a fact my resolution in my monitor isn't being fucked with, so i just went to sleep.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

On my laptop it looks like it's white and gold, cast in shadow. On my desktop at the office and on my phone it's very clearly blue and black.

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The question was, 'which pair of colors do you see in this dress?' You cannot see black there, you have to substract the lighting effects to conclude that it is black, which, in my vocabulary book, exceeds the definition of seeing.

This is black/blue:

How anyone can see white there is still beyond me.
    I saw black still, pretty sure my eyes just naturally adjusted, it's not like I saw a different colour first and then had to think about it. The moment I saw it I saw black and blue. I could see why people might get the gold due to the lighting, but white and gold just sounds way too wrong to me. There was even a shot which had more lighting to show how it could look white and gold to someone but I still couldn't see it, it's so strange.

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    I saw black still, pretty sure my eyes just naturally adjusted, it's not like I saw a different colour first and then had to think about it. The moment I saw it I saw black and blue. I could see why people might get the gold due to the lighting, but white and gold just sounds way too wrong to me. There was even a shot which had more lighting to show how it could look white and gold to someone but I still couldn't see it, it's so strange.
    Ah, well, then I guess people really do see it that differently, not just interpret the task in different ways.
    Likes laterlazer liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I swear I really did see it differently when I came back to it. At first, I would have sworn with a gun to my head that the dress was white and gold. But now I can't "unsee" the blue and black. It's gotta be a brain thing, not a matter of different monitors/angles/personalities or not having your settings correct or whatever.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

^^^ what is frustrating to me is that it changes in front of my eyes. well not exactly but i'll look away from the computer for a second look back and i'll see the opposite. so first i was like white and gold then later on in the night i was seeing blue and black and this morning was when it started changing. now it's white and gold again. in short i'm confused over this dress, and i'm not even that interested in clothes.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Here's a color palette from the lightest/darkest dress colors I found in the original image. Must be some interesting lighting that dress was under, and with some reflection from the fabric sheen.

White/Gold or Black/Blue?-palette-jpg

palette.jpg

What do these colors look like to everyone? I see lilac-y blue and browny gold.

eta: I can see how people see blue in the original image, but there is no true black to be found in that image, so seeing black does surprise me.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I swear I really did see it differently when I came back to it. At first, I would have sworn with a gun to my head that the dress was white and gold. But now I can't "unsee" the blue and black. It's gotta be a brain thing, not a matter of different monitors/angles/personalities or not having your settings correct or whatever.
    When I looked at a picture of it last night, I very assuredly saw white and gold.

Then I went to another page, where the picture had been cropped and had some other pictures embedded around it, and it was very distinctly blue and black. (and I know it's blue and black now.) Yet even looking back at the thumbnail in the OP here, that pic distinctly still looks gold/white to me.

Have you guys ever seen the optical illusions where something looks much darker or lighter depending on what is surrounding it, even if they are the exact same shade of gray? I'm wondering if that is part of the issue here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It was the exact same picture, in the exact same context, that I saw the two different ways.
    Likes an hero liked this post