User Tag List

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 240

Thread: White/Gold or Black/Blue?

  1. #201
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    One theory that’s been posted on several forums and social media sites suggests that people who see blue and black have “more high functioning” retina cones, while those who see white and gold have eyes that “don’t work well in dim light” and are more light sensitive.

    Jacquot—who, for the record, sees light blue and gold—doesn’t agree with this idea entirely. “Terms like ‘high functioning’ are relative terms and a bit subjective, and I wouldn’t say that one group is better than the other,” he says. But he does admit that the amount of light that enters the eye can play a role in color perception. Darkly pigmented irises let in less light than light ones, he points out, so eye color could possibly be a factor.

    Here’s What Color and Vision Experts Have to Say About the Blue and Black (or White and Gold?) Dress - Health News and Views - Health.com
    It's not that the lighting is dim, the picture is overexposed; therefore, the picture is blown out by white light. It's a very poor representation of the actual color of the dress.

    Your post is on the right track in thinking about cones. People don't have many blue cones. Some more than others. For that reason, pale blue is going to be difficult for some people to perceive.

  2. #202
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    It's not that the lighting is dim, the picture is overexposed; therefore, the picture is blown out by white light. It's a very poor representation of the actual color of the dress.

    Your post is on the right track in thinking about cones. People don't have many blue cones. Some more than others. For that reason, pale blue is going to be difficult for some people to perceive.
    The picture is over exposed and has too much white, I agree. The actual colors I see in the over-exposed camera distorted picture are a periwinkle blue and washed out brownish black, instead of deep royal blue and midnight black. My mind can still distinguish blue and black. The theory which is postulated by the article I posted entertains the idea that those with darker colored irises (which let less light in) can still perceive blue and black without being influenced by the overexposure to perceive white and gold.

  3. #203
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    The picture is over exposed and has too much white, I agree. The actual colors I see in the over-exposed camera distorted picture are a periwinkle blue and washed out brownish black, instead of deep royal blue and midnight black. My mind can still distinguish blue and black. The theory which is postulated by the article I posted entertains the idea that those with darker colored irises (which let less light in) can still perceive blue and black without being influenced by the overexposure to perceive white and gold.
    I see the same thing you see. I wonder why the experts aren't talking about how color perception is different when light is reflected off an object versus when light is radiated from an object.

    There are many variables from different characteristics of computer displays (that radiate light) to characteristics of the human eyes from person to person. Ultimately, the color cones send signals to the brain for interpretation.

    The overexposed picture is seriously lacking in color saturation and depth. Part of the image is completely blown out by white light and is undecipherable.

    What more can we say?

  4. #204
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    The picture is over exposed and has too much white, I agree. The actual colors I see in the over-exposed camera distorted picture are a periwinkle blue and washed out brownish black, instead of deep royal blue and midnight black. My mind can still distinguish blue and black. The theory which is postulated by the article I posted entertains the idea that those with darker colored irises (which let less light in) can still perceive blue and black without being influenced by the overexposure to perceive white and gold.
    BTW, my iris isn't particularly dark. To me, my iris looks like a medium shade of blue.

  5. #205
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    I see the same thing you see. I wonder why the experts aren't talking about how color perception is different when light is reflected off an object versus when light is radiated from an object.

    There are many variables from different characteristics of computer displays (that radiate light) to characteristics of the human eyes from person to person. Ultimately, the color cones send signals to the brain for interpretation.

    The overexposed picture is seriously lacking in color saturation and depth. Part of the image is completely blown out by white light and is undecipherable.

    What more can we say?
    The person who took the picture is a bad photographer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    BTW, my iris isn't particularly dark. To me, my iris looks like a medium shade of blue.
    We can toss that theory now.

  6. #206
    Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    damn you printers for correcting the colour. Or at least, that does look like blue and black to me on the same screen...



    @OrangeAppled what do you see now?
    The dress looks white and gold at the moment, but those color blotches appear black, white, bright blue and periwinkle (clockwise).
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

  7. #207
    The Typing Tabby Array grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The dress looks white and gold at the moment, but those color blotches appear black, white, bright blue and periwinkle (clockwise).
    I suspect this whole thing is a hoax. The dress is obviously red and green.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

  8. #208
    . Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    OK, after a while of coming back, now it looks like "gold" and "white". and also looking on this old TFT monitor.

    haha, if I only look at the bottom half first it turns to blue and black. My mind is playing tricks on me. I going to let this go.
    Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    I did say in one of my posts that I can see how people might see gold due to the yellow light, but not white. But I still see it as black.
    Chubber has a bit of the idea. In order to perceive it as one or the other, try focusing on different areas of the dress. Focus on the top portions to see it as more gold/white and focus on the lower portions to see it as blue/black.

    How to see the dress as white and gold and black and blue - Business Insider

  9. #209
    alchemist Array Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    This has to be, by far, the greatest discovery of the 21st century. The future citizens will gaze in awe at The Dress which defied all explanation. And still they will ponder the greatest of all questions, and never shall they arise at a satisfactory answer, for the question lies at the heart of what it means to be human.
    Likes an hero, violett, laterlazer liked this post

  10. #210
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Chubber has a bit of the idea. In order to perceive it as one or the other, try focusing on different areas of the dress. Focus on the top portions to see it as more gold/white and focus on the lower portions to see it as blue/black.

    How to see the dress as white and gold and black and blue - Business Insider

    I tried this, doesn't work for me, still blue and black. My daughter perceives white and gold, but has seen blue and black, and concludes she must be special. My son, blue and black.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do ENFPs prefer black or blue ink?
    By Nonsensical in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM
  2. Green Olives or Black Olives ?
    By kuranes in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. Do You Dream In Colors or In Black/White?
    By tblood in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:07 AM
  4. White, gray, black and colorless
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •