Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: White/Gold or Black/Blue?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Actually this whole phenomenon interested me in itself as someone who's always highly interested in multiple perception and general illusions. I saw the dress as gold and white (can see white as light blue but assumed that was lighting)

Of the articles, this was quite alright.

White & Gold or Blue & Black? Science of the Mystery Dress

In the case of the dress, the reason some people see it as different colors is not because they're colorblind, which is usually caused by a defect in a person's color cones, nor is it some fundamental difference in color vision, Williams said. "I think the brain has just made a different assumption about how the dress is being illuminated."

For example, if your brain assumes the lighting on the dress is very dim, it will assume the dress itself is highly reflective, or white and gold, Williams said. But if your brain assumes the opposite (that the lighting is very bright), it then makes the judgment that the dress itself must be darker, hence blue and black.

So why don't we encounter these color differences in everyday life?

In real life, the dress would be in a large field of view, with other objects illuminated in the same way. Our brains would be able to separate the garment's lighting from its intrinsic color, Williams said. "It's all about the context," he noted.
    Although it's quite interesting in itself I wasn't satisfied seeing it only gold and white (or light blue) so I printed the picture out and tried it at multiple angles, what managed to allow me a difference in perception was folding it into only seeing the colours and at an angle itself. Also tried putting the picture in front of an SAD light. Perhaps you can change your perception too.

With the first image I took you can quite literally see the colour gradually change from white to blue.

This is the same printed photo.

also... was listening to Blue Da Ba Dee while doing this... probably helped?
    Likes LonestarCowgirl, Arctic Hysteria liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    But we must be quite bored to be discussing this at such length

I don't have the data for you, but my crappy layman's explanation (as taught to me in a color theory class from 10+ years ago) is that the eye takes in light reflecting off an object, and how much and what kind of light affects how the brain interprets this (aka what color we see). The error here seems to be in how the eye is taking in light, which is why the photo will seem to change for some people, as the eye may adjust differently depending on how rested it is. Because the photo is so crappy and in bad lighting, it's making some people's eyes adjust so as to take in the light differently and therefore see different colors. It's like how you can distort colors by adjusting a camera lens - some of our eyes aren't adjusting properly.

I suspect people with bad night vision, such as myself, see the wrong colors. Looking at screens a lot has affected my eyes negatively, which is why resting my eyes from a screen allows me to see the right colors.

I just closed my eyes for one minute, opened them, and the dress changed. I guess I can control it a bit now, but I have to rest my eyes.
    That's the inspiration I needed. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    Actually this whole phenomenon interested me in itself as someone who's always highly interested in multiple perception and general illusions. I saw the dress as gold and white (can see white as light blue but assumed that was lighting)

Of the articles, this was quite alright.

White & Gold or Blue & Black? Science of the Mystery Dress

Although it's quite interesting in itself I wasn't satisfied seeing it only gold and white (or light blue) so I printed the picture out and tried it and multiple angles, what managed to allow me a difference in perception was folding it into only seeing the colours and at an angle itself. Also tried putting the picture in front of an SAD light. Perhaps you can change your perception too.

With the first image I took you can quite literally see the colour gradually change from white to blue.

This is the same printed photo.

also... was listening to Blue Da Ba Dee while doing this... probably helped?
    Thanks for posting the reference to how it happens. There's a little more to it, which I'll try to briefly explain.

The eye has three types of cones: blue cones, green cones, and red cones. When the cones are stimulated by light, a signal goes to the brain to perceive a color. I mentioned in another thread about blue being at the highest frequency (short wavelength) end of the visible color spectrum next to violet, which is harder for the eye to focus on compared to the other colors and above that is ultraviolet (outside of the visible spectrum). So why don't we always see a blue dress? Well, humans have much fewer blue (short-wavelength) cones than they do of the red and green cones and the blue cones are randomly placed. (Side note: when all the cones are stimulated by light, white is perceived.)

Reference: Cone cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I suspect people with bad night vision, such as myself, see the wrong colors.
    I'm not so sure. I have very poor night vision, but I have pretty much perfect color perception.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Probably Most Brilliant Array Craft's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I, and my sister, can shift colors by changing the zoom settings(probably about context clues related to lighting), but I wonder if I can 'willpower' it to change colors without changing zoom. Wildly speculating but I think it's all about this very fine line between the more conscious parts of us or our brains via our deeply held assumptions and the more mechanistic parts of our brain (visual cortex, dorsal stream, the cerebral cortext and all that stuff). More physically, it's about those specific brain areas vs. the dynamic electrical synapses between our entire neural network, our "more conscious parts". This 'function proximity' between two "parts" of the brain is probably what caused the confusion. Less so about the rest of the visual system (the eye, retina, optic nerves etc.)

Some more 'perspective' on this:

A search for truth is a search for a greedy perspective.

Nah, that's not truth. That's just your bullshit ideas of truth. Truth is always inclusive. If it's not inclusive, then toughen it up and try harder.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't know how this thing became so popular.

But I posted on every facebook status mentioning it, and several times in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    It is blue all the way for me.

I swear, you whities are weird.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is blue all the way for me.

I swear, you whities are weird.
    Wished I could see it black and blue naturally. Like those colours better.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Different monitors yield different results. At work it's definitely blue and dark brown. At home it's light blue and gold.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    I can see why Jaguar would mention how the same image can appear different from one display to another and that it's common sense or common knowledge. How many of us have gone to an electronics store to shop for a TV, computer, or phone and browsed the floor models all turned on (some displaying the same images) with noticeably different characteristics?

I definitely noticed the difference and I'm surprised to learn it's not a common experience.
    Well, that's a timely comment. Last night I was in an electronics store having a bit of fun. The store is huge with fluorescent lighting. I Googled the dress image on a Hewlett Packard, (I use a Mac at home). The dress looked even whiter and more gold than ever, so I burst out laughing. That's when I started motioning people over and asking what they saw. I loved the little girl who came over with her father and said, "Gold and White, dummy." In the end, about 25-30 people took a look at the image. All had the same answers - white/gold, gold/white. But it was with one particular person that I had the best convo. He and I were brainstorming together about the types of light on computers vs other devices, as well as in rooms, vision, brain etc. before some mouthy guy came over and said, "They're all just fucking color blind." (Referring to anyone who didn't see white/gold.) He knew of one person who saw black/blue using a small, handheld device at home.

Later, I went to the HD TV section of the store. Don't get me started on that . . .
    From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

failed poetry slam career Array chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

As always I'm late to the party...

People who saw blue and black the first time, must have had their lcd screens tilted at an angle further away from them.

Try seeing the 3rd image's colours by adjusting/tilting your screen.

If you can see the colour boxes encircled with black in the last picture, then have a look at the dress again and see if it changes now to "blue and black".
    Likes an hero liked this post

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast