User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I've seen both, though more often white/gold than blue/black. I admit there was a little part of me that would put it past the internet to circulate two subtly different pictures to fool us.

Right now, I'm sitting in the perfect mixed lighting where if I scroll a picture of the dress to the bottom of the screen, it looks white/gold, but if I scroll it to the top, it appears blue/black. So I understand how it's an optical illusion now.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Can you also see why he said it after people had explained that at different points in time the same people perceive different colors on the same device? Furthermore, does his different-computers hypothesis explain how two people looking at the same picture on the same monitor see different colors?

No and no. Hence the discussion.
    I understand. I don't think this is complicated. I think the differences in perception can easily be attributed to the display, image size (some browsers are set to resize images), resolution, and rod cone pupil eyeball physics. The latter will be affected by light. If one walks away from the computer or looks out the window and then looks back at their display, the eyes go through a readjusted period to the change in light. One may see the same image differently for a time. If the room is bright in the morning when you're looking at the image, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the image looks like a different color compared to sitting in a dark room at night where minimal amount of light is reflected in the room. Even though the display radiates light, every time you look out in the room, your eyes adjust, so quickly looking back at the display might have different results. I don't know the technical terms in eyeball physics. I'm just recalling general information I learned years ago and hoping some of this triggers something in your memory of a time when you were an eyeball expert and you'll be able to help me fill in the gaps. <3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.
    Likes Hard, Wistful Muffin liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I see both, or rather, mostly light blue/gold, sometimes whiite/gold, and every now and then it's blue/black. It changes for me, without lighting changes. It just randomly changes....
    I have poor night vision though.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I see both, or rather, mostly light blue/gold, sometimes whiite/gold, and every now and then it's blue/black. It changes for me, without lighting changes. It just randomly changes....
    I have poor night vision though.
    No silly, the lighting is changing since computer displays radiate the light and it's going to vary based on how dark or light the images are that you're viewing. As you scroll to the top of a page where the TC header is dark navy blue, your display doesn't radiate as much light. Is the webpage in the same position every time you view the image? Someone earlier said the image changes as they scroll.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    No silly, the lighting is changing since computer displays radiate the light and it's going to vary based on how dark or light the images are that you're viewing. As you scroll to the top of a page where the TC header is dark navy blue, your display doesn't radiate as much light.
    No, Ive tried scrolling, and it doesn't affect how I see it. It doesn't change in front of my eyes. It's more like an hour later I can look at it, and it will have changed. I'm more likely to see it as blue/black if I haven't been on a computer or looking at any screen for awhile. I think it's a matter of how the eyes adjust to a bad photo in crappy lighting being viewed on a digital screen, which is why it changes for some of us, depending on how rested our eyes are.

I first saw it scrolling on Instagram as whitish/gold, went off my iPad for a good hour, then scrolled by it again and it was blue/black, and then I was on my iPad awhile and it stayed whitish/gold whenever I looked at it. I guess it's not that random, but I can't will to see it black/blue. Not looking at a screen for awhile seems to be the only pattern for why it's blue/black at times when I otheriwse see whitish/gold.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

No, Ive tried scrolling, and it doesn't affect how I see it. It doesn't change in front of my eyes. It's more like an hour later I can look at it, and it will have changed. I'm more likely to see it as blue/black if I haven't been on a computer or looking at any screen for awhile. I think it's a matter of how the eyes adjust to a bad photo in crappy lighting being viewed on a digital screen, which is why it changes for some of us, depending on how rested our eyes are.

I first saw it scrolling on Instagram as whitish/gold, went off my iPad for a good hour, then scrolled by it again and it was blue/black, and then I was on my iPad awhile and it stayed whitish/gold whenever I looked at if. I guess it's not that random, but I can't will to see it black/blue. Not looking at a screen for awhile seems to be the only pattern for why it's blue/black at times when I otheriwse see whitish/gold.
    My gut is telling me we're on the verge of a breakthrough here in solving a mystery, if we had just a little bit more data!

P.S., Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ I actually hope that is sarcasm.

Likes Starry liked this post

^ I actually hope that is sarcasm.
    It's not sarcasm. The data I think we're missing is how the human eye works and how the brain interprets what it sees.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    It's not sarcasm. The data I think we're missing is how the human eye works and how the brain interprets what it sees.
    But we must be quite bored to be discussing this at such length

I don't have the data for you, but my crappy layman's explanation (as taught to me in a color theory class from 10+ years ago) is that the eye takes in light reflecting off an object, and how much and what kind of light affects how the brain interprets this (aka what color we see). The error here seems to be in how the eye is taking in light, which is why the photo will seem to change for some people, as the eye may adjust differently depending on how rested it is. Because the photo is so crappy and in bad lighting, it's making some people's eyes adjust so as to take in the light differently and therefore see different colors. It's like how you can distort colors by adjusting a camera lens - some of our eyes aren't adjusting properly.

I suspect people with bad night vision, such as myself, see the wrong colors. Looking at screens a lot has affected my eyes negatively, which is why resting my eyes from a screen allows me to see the right colors.

I just closed my eyes for one minute, opened them, and the dress changed. I guess I can control it a bit now, but I have to rest my eyes.

Likes highlander, LonestarCowgirl liked this post