User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

I don't care what color that dress is. I just want to go on record as saying that I think it's ugly and you'd have to pay me to get me to wear it! But believe it or not, I can see it blue/black and white/gold at will without changing anything. I can also see reds and lilacs in it.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What planet are you on, Nico? It's common knowledge.
    It's such common knowledge that everyone here would have already thought of it. Did you consider that? The point has been left behind because it has been established that it does not explain this conundrum. It does not explain it because even two people looking at the same screen sometimes report different colors, and people like Ivy alternately see it both ways on the same screen. Differences in monitors is not the explanation for what's going on here.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's such common knowledge that everyone here would have already thought of it. Did you consider that? The point has been left behind because it has been established that it does not explain this conundrum. It does not explain it because even two people looking at the same screen sometimes report different colors, and people like Ivy alternately see it both ways on the same screen. Differences in monitors is not the explanation for what's going on here.
    Whoa there partner, , Jaguar already clarified his position...

The point was how and why people can perceive things differently - whether it's observing an event or observing an image. There isn't just one possibility. If you don't get that, it's your problem to work out. Not mine.
    Well said.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

When I saw this the first time, it was all shenanigans to me.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Whoa there partner, , Jaguar already clarified his position...

Well said.
    No.

Laterlazer said...

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    It honestly creeps me out how so many people see white and I'm trying but I can't see it. Like this is a simple picture, not some fabricated optical illusion, someone needs to explain this properly immediately.
    Jaguar gave this response, which was both snarky in tone and clearly was meant only to make the point that differences were due to computers, that is, laterlazer must be naive about computers to not understand this problem is caused by differences in computers.

Are you new to computers? How a pic appears on one can differ from another.
    Laterlazer gives a snarky response in return, perhaps with justification, which does point out why that is a terribly silly answer and why he must not have been paying attention to gives this answer we have already thoroughly ruled out in this thread.

Congratulates you on your brilliant explanation of how the phenomenon must be easily explained by the difference in everyone's computers, obvs people must have different brightness level and different processors and that makes the whole difference to change the colour blue to white. How did I not know? It was so simple after all. Regardless of the fact that a friend looked at the same picture on the same computer as I did there must have been a difference in processing speed or something when we looked at the picture maybe a millisecond apart that made him see White and Gold where I saw Black and Blue. Thanks so much, it all makes sense now.

Tbh lol, are you even paying attention.
    From there, Jaguar responds to snark and attempts to defend himself, but it is at best back-peddling from the fact that he originally proposed the differences in perception were caused by differences in computers and that laterlazer was silly for not knowing that.

EDIT: As if to prove the point, right before laterlazer's first post is a post by Nicodemus saying he still sees the same thing on a different monitor.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In fact, here's how I was thinking about responding to laterlazer before this nonsense started.

It honestly creeps me out how so many people see white and I'm trying but I can't see it. Like this is a simple picture, not some fabricated optical illusion, someone needs to explain this properly immediately.
    It's a simple picture, but that doesn't keep it from being an optical illusion. Those don't have to be designed. They pop up in the natural world all the time. If you are familiar with optical illusions (which I will bet you are to some extent because most people are) you know how powerful they can be. Well, those powerful illusions are typically accidentally discovered before being made into popular, explicit illusions. This dress thing is just another one of those in the making.

Now, what causes people to see it one way or the other? Like I said to Ivy, we can make promising hypotheses but we don't actually know yet.

EDIT: Drawing from various things that have been posted in this thread, you can see how the whole thing is entirely explicable right up until the variation between observers. That's the thing that needs to be explained. Answer pending.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No.

Laterlazer said...

Jaguar gave this response, which was both snarky in tone and clearly was meant only to make the point that differences were due to computers, that is, laterlazer must be naive about computers to not understand this problem is caused by differences in computers.

Laterlazer gives a snarky response in return, perhaps with justification, which does point out why that is a terribly silly answer and why he must not have been paying attention to gives this answer we have already thoroughly ruled out in this thread.

From there, Jaguar responds to snark and attempts to defend himself, but it is at best back-peddling from the fact that he originally proposed the differences in perception were caused by differences in computers and that laterlazer was silly for not knowing that.
    Okay, then I'm going to say this as kindly as I can. Oh, for heaven's sake! Baby claps!

@Magic Poriferan, I can see why Jaguar would mention how the same image can appear different from one display to another and that it's common sense or common knowledge. How many of us have gone to an electronics store to shop for a TV, computer, or phone and browsed the floor models all turned on (some displaying the same images) with noticeably different characteristics?

I definitely noticed the difference and I'm surprised to learn it's not a common experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    @Magic Poriferan, I can see why Jaguar would mention how the same image can appear different from one display to another and that it's common sense or common knowledge.
    Can you also see why he said it after people had explained that at different points in time the same people perceive different colors on the same device? Furthermore, does his different-computers hypothesis explain how two people looking at the same picture on the same monitor see different colors?

No and no. Hence the discussion.