User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 240

  1. #91
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    I saw bluish and goldish. I had a hard time understanding how people could not see either one of these colours.

    The explanation I saw for why people see it differently was to do with sensitivity to different aspects of light/colour.

  2. #92
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    But you're not explaining the reasons for this. Nothing you have explained about optics has been news to me (I have a geology minor, I studied optics) but neither is it a satisfying explanation for THIS phenomenon. A ton of different smartypantses, including you, have come up with The Definitive Answer For Why This Happens, and they're all different, and none of them satisfy me. WIRED, Scientific American, blah blah blah. They all require something about the context to be different (background, viewing angle, screen settings, whatever) for the people to see it differently but that's not the case. People are looking at this thing at the same time, from the same angle, in the same setting, on the same screen, and seeing VERY different colors. It's not like some of us see light blue and some of us see dark blue, or some of us see black and some of us see grey. It's just weird, and it hasn't been satisfactorily explained as far as I'm concerned. Other optical illusions have plausible explanations so I might go "huh, that's neat" and move on, but this is truly weird, IMO.
    I already said that I don't know what causes that difference between people. Most of what's going on here is in the realm of the thoroughly explicable. The only part left unexplained is why person A makes the assumptions that lead to black and blue and person B makes the assumptions that lead to gold and white, and why some people are more malleable in their perception than others. For that, it's easy to spitball an explanation anywhere from socialization, to personal experience, to neurology (and those things are probably actually related, too). But of course no one has done a study on this thing that became big news yesterday, so we can only throw out a handful of good sounding hypothesis about that wait until someone actually does some testing (if anyone ever does) to know which it actually is. One remark I saw is that people who spend a great deal of time awake at night will probably see blue and black. An interesting suggestion, it would make sense based on the kind of lighting that person would take as a given. So is it true? We don't know, because there's been no test.

    There's a big difference between a thing we don't yet know but is subject to many reasonable hypotheses, and something that defies even a hypothesis. This is the former, but I feel like people are reacting to it like it's the latter.

    EDIT: Although, for entirely different topics, it's already been established that conditioning/development alters how people perceive colors, so there's nothing weird about thinking some form of that is going on here.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #93
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,063

    Default

    No, I think there's definitely an explanation, but I don't think we have the full one yet, and I don't think it has anything to do with the circumstances of viewing, which a lot of people seem to think is all there is at play here. The most plausible explanation I've heard is like what you say, that there aren't enough clues in the original photo for people to know what the original lighting was like, so they are making an assumption about whether the dress is in bright light or shadow, and their brains are removing a tint based on that assumption. And of course, as you also say, the mystery there is why are people making those assumptions and why is it changeable for some of us. THAT is the interesting part to me- what is going on in the brain. Brains are neat.

    Whatever it is, I feel pretty sure it's going on inside the brain/eye, and doesn't depend on the angle of viewing or the way your computer screen is calibrated. But a lot of people are tossing those out as obvious explanations. I'm just finding myself getting annoyed at people who are like "God, it's so obvious, this is the explanation, case closed," so I'm less annoyed with you now that you are admitting that there is some mystery here. I just find it neat, and I get annoyed with the people who are like, "you dumbass, this isn't neat, it's very easily explained." Fuck those people. Let me have my mystery.

  4. #94
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    It looks silvery grey and gold to me.Perhaps people with fewer cone cells perceive the silvery grey as blue and people with excessive cone cells perceive it as white. My left eye sees duller colors compared to my right eye.
    If people had the emotional maturity to accept that others may have different views, the world would be a far better place.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    [...] it is more like gold and blue in the photo, which is neither what the dress is nor what anyone is reporting to see.
    Gold and blue is what I saw. I could make myself realize it should be black (not least because that blue and gold are a terrible combination), but I saw gold. The white people are just insane, though.

  6. #96
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    hey the government does weird ass things to distract us. wouldn't suprised, probably the republicans
    Naaah, the current commander-in-chief (recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, on account of how awesome it was that he wasn't Dubya)...is a Democrat.

    Maybe they can still find a way to blame the dress on Monica Lewinksy.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

  7. #97
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Naaah, the current commander-in-chief (recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, on account of how awesome it was that he wasn't Dubya)...is a Democrat.

    Maybe they can still find a way to blame the dress on Monica Lewinksy.
    Republicans control a lot of the government and other leaders in other countries.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy


    by @agentwashington

  8. #98
    Senior Member Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Gold and blue is what I saw. I could make myself realize it should be black (not least because that blue and gold are a terrible combination), but I saw gold. The white people are just insane, though.
    I eventually got myself to see how it could work.

    Like, if you assume the trim is black, then any white next to it should look extremely white by contrast. You know this, even if you don't know you know this. So starting with the assumption that the trim is black, it follows that the other part looks way too blue.

    If instead you start with the premise that the trim is gold, a similar thing happens. The complimentary opposite of yellow is blue. If the trim is gold, you'd expect a blue surface near by to be intensely blue, but, probably due to the picture's lighting and/or camera quality, it's kind of muddled. So instead, you might see it as something not blue with a blue shade, white being the obvious go-to as it takes color easily. This might be reinforced by the fact that the interpretation of black and blue requires there to be a light shining from the shirt to create the gold part of the trim, whereas the interpretation of white and gold requires shading on the gold part to create the black, so in general the gold interpretation means there is shading of some kind on the shirt that might be adding that blue look...

    I don't know if that made sense, but thinking about it that way allowed me to see the gold and white, anyhow.

    (it works the same way if your starting premise is with the blue/white part. Undoubtedly this trick works in part because black and white, and blue and yellow, are two complimentary pairs)
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right
    Likes Craft liked this post

  9. #99
    Chumped. Obsidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I heard somewhere that it depends upon your mood, but that could be bs.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

  10. #100
    Senior citizen velveteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Black and blue.

Similar Threads

  1. Do ENFPs prefer black or blue ink?
    By Nonsensical in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM
  2. Green Olives or Black Olives ?
    By kuranes in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. Do You Dream In Colors or In Black/White?
    By tblood in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:07 AM
  4. White, gray, black and colorless
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts