User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think about Vent?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never used it

5 15.15%
  • I'm an active user and love it!

13 39.39%
  • I've used it a lot before but fell away from it

6 18.18%
  • I use it sometimes

10 30.30%
  • I used it but don't like it that much

1 3.03%
  • It's too complicated to figure out

2 6.06%
  • Vent intimidates me!

4 12.12%
  • Other (please explain)

4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Thread: Vent Is Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Why is vent superior?
    Because it has voice chat.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

@DisneyGeek
    voice chat!
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

your resident asshole

@Nicodemus @GarrotTheThief How often are you two on Vent? I'm not there much, but I've rarely seen people voice chatting.

A better question might be, don't we have both?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'm afraid I'm confused. Why is vent superior?

I already said there are mobile applications, but they really are a poor experience. I have a tablet and Vent is a very poor experience on it. I can't have more than one window at the same time, so it's hard to do something else and follow a conversation at the same time. Unless maybe you have a Windows tablet?
    Your line of questions is good. Is Ventrillo still the best thing out there? I don't know. I think it would be hard to give up on voice but of course if there are options other than Ventrillo in particular that offer something better than what we have now from a features, capabilities and usability standpoint, I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered. It seems strange to have to give up voice in order to chat on a mobile phone with text. Is there something that supports voice and text chat and multiple devices better than what we have now?

My immediate reaction to your initial question was why not consider a vent mobile app (like Ventrilode or Ventriloid). I have heard about them but haven't used them. Have you tried that already and it doesn't work well?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

@Nicodemus @GarrotTheThief How often are you two on Vent? I'm not there much, but I've rarely seen people voice chatting.
    I am not on as much as I used to, but I am pretty sure voice chat is used daily.
    Likes SpankyMcFly, GarrotTheThief liked this post

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    My immediate reaction to your initial question was why not consider a vent mobile app (like Ventrilode or Ventriloid). I have heard about them but haven't used them. Have you tried that already and it doesn't work well?
    The mobile apps work totally fine for voice chat. It's just text chat that isn't all that great. It's the nature of phones and such where you aren't going to be able to multitask all that well. So you really can't follow the conversation unless you are 100% focused on the app.

I was more referring to people who want to chat on a computer that is not their own. E.g. a work, school, or library computer. The only way for me to use Vent in these instances is on my phone, which is almost pointless. If we had a chat embedded into the website, more people could chat from different locations.

The best solution to this is if the developers of Ventrilo allowed it to be a "portable app" (able to run without installing to the computer), but that isn't going to happen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The mobile apps work totally fine for voice chat. It's just text chat that isn't all that great. It's the nature of phones and such where you aren't going to be able to multitask all that well. So you really can't follow the conversation unless you are 100% focused on the app.

I was more referring to people who want to chat on a computer that is not their own. E.g. a work, school, or library computer. The only way for me to use Vent in these instances is on my phone, which is almost pointless. If we had a chat embedded into the website, more people could chat from different locations.

The best solution to this is if the developers of Ventrilo allowed it to be a "portable app" (able to run without installing to the computer), but that isn't going to happen.
    So then the key issue is people using computers where they can't install new apps and the fact that the mobile app text interface isn't good?

You're suggesting IRC as sort of a lowest common denominator - supports every platform and it doesn't require any software installation - but it doesn't have voice. Is that correct?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

your resident asshole

@highlander Basically yeah. But maybe it's just me? I'm not sure how many people are able to bring their personal computers everywhere.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

@highlander Basically yeah. But maybe it's just me? I'm not sure how many people are able to bring their personal computers everywhere.
    I can see benefits but that would be giving up a lot. We looked at VBulletin text chat software for example, which would require no software installation. People didn't like that for multiple reasons but one of the bigger ones is that reliable options did not provide voice.

It seems like if we were going to change something, it would be better to go to a more feature rich platform that supports all the major OSes - Mac, Windows, IOS and Android.

Tri-type 639

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am not on as much as I used to, but I am pretty sure voice chat is used daily.
    Hmm...I guess I'm not there often enough to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I can see benefits but that would be giving up a lot. We looked at VBulletin text chat software for example, which would require no software installation. People didn't like that for multiple reasons but one of the bigger ones is that reliable options did not provide voice.

It seems like if we were going to change something, it would be better to go to a more feature rich platform that supports all the major OSes - Mac, Windows, IOS and Android.
    Well there are things like tinychat.com that do video, voice, and text chat and are totally in browser, but I'm not sure of what other services are out there. Google Hangouts might do the same sort of thing, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

But anyway, there really is no best solution.