The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default Fighting Racism

In what ways have you seen racism continue to pervade our culture and how can we stop it?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Likes Rasofy, SpankyMcFly, TopCatLSD liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    In what ways have you seen racism continue to pervade our culture and how can we stop it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    well this shits.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    well this shits.
    I have to question why MQ linked me to this thread in the first place unless he wants a shitstorm. My views on this subject aren't exactly a secret.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

As a residential rental property manager, racism usually asserts itself very subtly and the people guilty of it usually try to rationalize or justify it rather than just own up to it OR individuals who will let their hate flag fly and not give two snots how you feel about it.

Some examples

1) A white father looking for a rental home for his college aged daughter and not wanting to be in a "black neighborhood" because, and I'm paraphrasing here because it's been a few years since this happened, "black men can't control themselves around white women and we want our little girl to be safe". Apparently black guys start foaming at the mouth and chewing up the dry wall when a pretty white girl hooves into their field of vision.

And here I thought that was just me

2) One of my homeowners (whom I do not work for anymore) was a bonafide member of the KKK and HOLY CRAP he lost his marbles when he discovered we had black tenants in there. He kept threatening and get his friends over there to lynch them, he bitched about how he was going to have to "clean" the house of the "taint" of black people living there. When I asked him about what he meant by "taint", he told me, "Kind of like the taint in a child that's born from a black father and a white mother."

I REALLY wanted to ask him exactly how one goes about removing "blackness" from a house, but decided against it.

I've had black couples OR white spouses to black couples ask if certain neighborhood were safe for them to be around, I've had neighbors (always Stars-and-Bars flag flying rednecks) who antagonize black tenants, and I've had homeowners ask me about refusing applications from black couples (I can't).

Bottom line: Here in the deep south, racism very much still exists and anyone who feels otherwise has clearly never worked with rentals.

How to fight it? I feel the best way is with Empathy. Once you realize that these people that you dislike for one reason or another REALLY ARE just like you in a bunch of ways, I think it will go away.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    As a residential rental property manager, racism usually asserts itself very subtly and the people guilty of it usually try to rationalize or justify it rather than just own up to it OR individuals who will let their hate flag fly and not give two snots how you feel about it.

Some examples

1) A white father looking for a rental home for his college aged daughter and not wanting to be in a "black neighborhood" because, and I'm paraphrasing here because it's been a few years since this happened, "black men can't control themselves around white women and we want our little girl to be safe". Apparently black guys start foaming at the mouth and chewing up the dry wall when a pretty white girl hooves into their field of vision.
    It is perfectly rational not to want to live in a majority black neighbourhood, give that black men are far more likely than men of any other race to commit violent crimes. Women are less likely to be able to defend themselves so it's a heightened concern for them. Also, some black men do have a complex about white women. This is for two reasons: entertainment and media representing black men and white women together as an ideal couple and hardly ever showing black women, and an engendered racial resentment that has created a fetishisation of white women amongst black men. Impregnating a white woman is seen as a way of "having revenge" on white men.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I've had black couples OR white spouses to black couples ask if certain neighborhood were safe for them to be around, I've had neighbors (always Stars-and-Bars flag flying rednecks) who antagonize black tenants, and I've had homeowners ask me about refusing applications from black couples (I can't).

Bottom line: Here in the deep south, racism very much still exists and anyone who feels otherwise has clearly never worked with rentals.
    I am not accusing you of lying, but statistically, the chances of your hypothetical black couple being assaulted in a majority white neighbourhood is hugely lower than the inverse. Therefore, it's hard for me to accept the premise of your post.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There's hipocrisy on both sides of the equation, and I don't think either side will concede anytime soon
    Likes Hard, Jaguar liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

It is perfectly rational not to want to live in a majority black neighbourhood, give that black men are far more likely than men of any other race to commit violent crimes. Women are less likely to be able to defend themselves so it's a heightened concern for them. Also, some black men do have a complex about white women. This is for two reasons: entertainment and media representing black men and white women together as an ideal couple and hardly ever showing black women, and an engendered racial resentment that has created a fetishisation of white women amongst black men. Impregnating a white woman is seen as a way of "having revenge" on white men.

I am not accusing you of lying, but statistically, the chances of your hypothetical black couple being assaulted in a majority white neighbourhood is hugely lower than the inverse. Therefore, it's hard for me to accept the premise of your post.
    Long version: That said, most black people are poor, and crime rates are higher among the poor. Given past and current discrimination against non-white people in the workforce due to cultural stereotypes, there is a barrier between minorities and economic mobility. I posit that it is primarily the poor and desperate who commit crimes, and that race has a correlative, rather than causative, relationship to violence. We have already began to see the racial gap in income begin to narrow, but it will take a while before this correlation goes away.

Short verson
    : Those people are violent because they are poor, not because they are black.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I don't expect to make any friends by posting this, but anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Long version: That said, most black people are poor, and crime rates are higher among the poor. Given past and current discrimination against non-white people in the workforce due to cultural stereotypes, there is a barrier between minorities and economic mobility. I posit that it is primarily the poor and desperate who commit crimes, and that race has a correlative, rather than causative, relationship to violence. We have already began to see the racial gap in income begin to narrow, but it will take a while before this correlation goes away.
    I believe that the rate of crime is only partly due to socioeconomic factors. If you were right MQ, then people from different racial groups who have equivalent incomes would commit crimes at a very similar rate, and this is not the case. Minority groups are also not always underrepresented in the higher echelons of society - Jews and East Asians are actually overrepresented (think banking, media and technology). Therefore, racial discrimination clearly can't be the main reason for disparities. Average intelligence, however, has a good correlation with average income, and one of the dirtiest secrets in psychology is that racial gaps in intelligence exist. Unsurprisingly, there's a trend of groups with the highest average IQ being the most well off - and as a result they have a more stable family structure and are less likely to fall into violence.

Short version: They are violent both because they are poor and because they are black.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I don't expect to make any friends by posting this, but anyway...

I believe that the rate of crime is only partly due to socioeconomic factors. If you were right MQ, then people from different racial groups who have equivalent incomes would commit crimes at a very similar rate, and this is not the case. Minority groups are also not always underrepresented in the higher echelons of society - Jews and East Asians are actually overrepresented (think banking, media and technology). Therefore, racial discrimination clearly can't be the main reason for disparities. Average intelligence, however, has a good correlation with average income, and one of the dirtiest secrets in psychology is that racial gaps in intelligence exist. Unsurprisingly, there's a trend of groups with the highest average IQ being the most well off - and as a result they have a more stable family structure and are less likely to fall into violence.

Short version: They are violent both because they are poor and because they are black.
    Interesting. Could religion be a factor?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan