123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Special Snowflake-ism as it relates to type and stereotypes

It's very possible this thread could eventually dissolve into a bitter fight of INFP vs. INFJ. For the sake of not bringing up that twice overbaked rotting dead horse, please keep it civil (or at least try).

This is something that has been in the back of my head for a little while, partially prompted from things I have seen on reddit, and the backwaters of tumblr. There is this pervasive idea that the idea of "special snowflake syndrome" is confined primarily to IxFx types, more heavily concentrated on INFx types due to their higher visibility on the internet. What I have been noticing though, is there seems to be a mislabeling between these attitudes. Specficically referring to the difference between being excessively self-focused/self-concerned vs. passive narcissism coupled with low self-esteem.

While most people seem to take a stronger issue with passive narcissism (meaning, someone who is narcissistic in a round-about manner and might even be unaware of it), people tend to respond more poorly to excessive self-focus when it's focused on the negative. Unfortunately, both of these are equated with Fi much of the time, when only one typically applies. Since Fi focuses on internal logic in a qualatative sense, by it's very nature it must be self-focused otherwise it can not operate correctly. If the Fi user is afflicted with issues, a poor personality, hardship, or anything that would render them less than functional, this can turn to a lot of beating oneself up, and a tremendous amount of self-focus in order to heal and cope. It's not uncommon for this self focus to be very negative "woe is me help me" that can persist for very long periods of time that is extremely difficult to pull onesself out of. I've seen quite a bit that this is referred to as special snowflake-ism. It really isn't though. This is really just pitifully low self esteem, or someone who is at a low point and is trying to cope. It might not be ideal or the best way to help onesself, but it's often the tactic employed.

Where as passive narcissism (often with low self-esteem) often does display itself as special snowflake-ism. This has been unfairly attributed to several types and functions, but as time goes on it's something that I am seeing as independent of type, with a slight higher occurrence in introverts. While it might seem obvious, passive narcissism and subsequent special snowflake-ism really isn't easy to see. Or at least, easy to see in the sense that someone could conscious think "what I am seeing right here is special snowflake-ism". Most of the time, what happens is someone sees an individual simultenously beating themselves up, while talking about and playing up their virtues. This is difference from attempting to build ones confidence, but using the down-talking as a guard to show their attributes and distinct them from not only being unique, but better then others for being one of the few or only one to possess these attributes. There isn't much of a type or thinking style that predisposes one to this. If just for the fact that narcissism can happen to anyone. What people often see with this, is someone being distasteful. It's rarely called out to be special snowflake-ism since, well, that is thought of as being direct, on display, and easy to spot.

The thing is though, it's well known that if one announces directly "look at me! I am unique!", they're going to be called out for it. As such, what is being looked for is never really seen, but somewhat felt. It's then assumed that simply talking about oneself a lot is automatically special snowflake-ism, when very often that isn't the case. Since IxFx types talk about themselves and internal workings more so than others more often than not, they get smacked with that unfairly.

Really, I am more interested in what people's perspectives and reactions to this are. Further, how do you make the distinction between what special snowflake-ism is and what it is not? Discuss.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I had to do a search of "special snowflake syndrome", because to be honest, I've only heard the term a couple times, and it was never explained to me what it meant. An Internet search didn't really clarify the matter, either, as everyone seems to have a different definition of it. I assumed it had something to do with thinking you're special and unique (like each snowflake is unique). From what I've learned, and correct me if I'm wrong, people with special snowflake-ism tend to act self-important and entitled; basically because they're unique, they deserve special treatment. Is that right?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I had to do a search of "special snowflake syndrome", because to be honest, I've only heard the term a couple times, and it was never explained to me what it meant. An Internet search didn't really clarify the matter, either, as everyone seems to have a different definition of it. I assumed it had something to do with thinking you're special and unique (like each snowflake is unique). From what I've learned, and correct me if I'm wrong, people with special snowflake-ism tend to act self-important and entitled; basically because they're unique, they deserve special treatment. Is that right?
    Essentially yeah.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    yupp

society, it's society that tells us we're all special snow flakes. none of us are, sorry it hurts I know *pats the "unicorns" heads tenderly*
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes BadOctopus, Hard liked this post

I think Ni types are just slightly more prone to this special snowfale syndrome, because this syndrome also comes with a lack of sympathy for others, which is not really an Fi issue

If you could help it you'd be the same as everyone else. Consistent failure convinces you that you have a unique defect. No one wants to be the exception. We want a rationalization for why we're cast out. The final goal is to be loved like everyone else.
    Likes Hard, cheapsunglasses liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

lol... I had a much more vicious thread ranting about the same thing a couple of years ago...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes prplchknz, TopCatLSD liked this post

INFJ's are good people in real life, but "INFJ's" are not.

In all the typology forums supposed Ni-doms treat people like shit, and act like no one can touch them. Whats interesting is that most of them are self typed and haven't bothered taking the official MBTI.

"INTJ's" are arrogant pricks that think that they're the gods of the internet.

"INFJ's" are closet narcissists who think they're super special and we should all give a shit.

If you claim to be an INxJ either get professionally typed, or get the fuck out!
    ~ F*ck this place that we call home! ~

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatLSD View Post
    If you claim to be an INxJ either get professionally typed, or get the fuck out!
    Read the damn OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's very possible this thread could eventually dissolve into a bitter fight of INFP vs. INFJ. For the sake of not bringing up that twice overbaked rotting dead horse, please keep it civil (or at least try).
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatLSD View Post
    You sound fun.