User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Brushes With Greatness

Someone just started this thread on INTPC. I'm pretty sure I started one there awhile back on the same topic, but I don't think we've done it here yet. My apologies if we have and I forgot/failed at my search.

So, the thread topic: have you had any chance encounters with famous people? Here are a few of mine, all with very obscure musical acts:

This isn't going to mean much but to a handful of you, but when I was a teen I attended a backyard barbecue with the members of Camper Van Beethoven. They did an album with my friend's dad who is an extremely obscure musician that nobody has ever heard of except other musicians.

I also babysat for his younger kids (my friend was the oldest and she was a bit too wild to babysit) and once answered the phone to take a message for Henry Rollins.

And finally, I cowered beside an armchair and soaked up the self-absorbed genius that is Jello Biafra for an afternoon when he visited. I was only in 6th grade at the time but I recall him being very pleased with himself but absolutely a force to be reckoned with.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Two days ago the Vans "Off the Wall" Tour bus stopped by (the one they took to the X-games), my friends and I went in and got free T-shirts, hung out for a bit, and left.

Wasn't that an amazing story?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, I'd love to have a free Vans T-shirt, so sure! Cool.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Not much from me.

The most amazing thing I ever did was explain to the governor that my name was Welsh inspired, he told me he thought it was Gaelic, he signed his name, I shook his hand, the end.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I've met a bunch of NHL players. (Family connections.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Banned
    MBTI
    type

"Interesting" eye contact with Suzi Gardner at an L7 show. Apparently she's promiscuous (But it's L7, could be BS), wish I'd known that....Also Paul Banks got a big grin when he saw me hopping around during PDA at Interpol. That's it, no conversations or anything.

Add: Wait, I talked to some of the Kingsmen of "Louie, Louie" fame.

MBTI
    INTP

Hmm. One time, my theatre director invited a Star Trek actor friend of his to give a monologue workshop--Mark Lenard, I think was his name. I did my Titania monologue and he told me I should be more emotional. I didn't know I was in INTP back then.

I saw a few celebs on the street when I lived in New York. Once walked behind Danny Glover as some annoying businessman talked his ear off and Danny politely listened while looking frantically for a cab. At one point he slipped free of the guy, then looked back and locked eyes with me. He could tell that I recognized him, but I smiled and gave him a "don't worry, I'm not gonna bug you" look. He was really nice to the douchebag guy.

Walked past Susan Sarandon around the Union Square area. She was with her daughter, and wearing no makeup and a tshirt and cargo pants.

I met and had dinner with another actor who I won't name here, but he was and is a beloved but minor character on a long-running action series. I loved this guy and respected him a lot until I actually got to see him up close. He fancied himself some sort of New Age guru, and he also clearly wanted people to be awed by the minor amount of fame he possessed. I really regretted meeting him, b/c it has kind of ruined the character for me ever since.

There are probably a few more I'm forgetting...

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, I haven't met him because he died before I was born, but my great (x a few) grandfather was the chief surgeon on board the Royal Research Ship Discovery, aka Scott's famous trip to Antarctica during Queen Vic's time. I recently visited Dundee in Scotland, where the ship is still docked and open to visitors, where I learned a lot about what the crew endured and the amazing discoveries they brought back with them, and I found the officers' mess on the ship which had my grandpappy's cabin with his name still above it, right opposite Scott's. I was allowed inside (where tourists aren't usually allowed) to sit in the cabin on the bed and have a look through his bookshelf and stuff.

I felt very proud and inspired
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Does being within 10 feet of Weird Al at a concert count for anything?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've been privy to many of the Philadelphia Phillies completely drunk. I met and spoke to Elijah Wood two years ago in Beverly Hills. I once had a conversation with Robbie Williams (who had stuck his head out his tour bus to talk). I sold hashish to The Witnesses. I did coke with The French Kicks. I was headbutted by Wesley Willis in my living room. I was sexually propositioned by Bobby Trendy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"