User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Um, the parents of one of the drummer from The Comeback Kid live right across the street from me. I met him once due to the fact that I'd locked myself out of my house after school and ended up staying there until someone could bring a key for me. I don't actually listen to the band myself, so I'm not sure if they're popular or anything, but yeah.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Don't get me started, Ivy.
    When you have a Brush With Greatness every time you get out your comb, they start to lose their luster, I would think.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I hate when people crosspost with abandon, but since this whole thread is a crosspost I'm doing it now.

So I think enough years have passed that I can tell this without violating the privacy of this famous person and his family. Several years ago I was a private tutor with a local service. I would drive to a rich person's house, help their kid with his or her (usually his, let's be real here) homework, collect a check for $50/hr to deliver to my pimp so that I could be paid $25 a month later, and jet.

One of my students was clearly very well-off. Over the weeks I worked with him, I started to wonder exactly how well-off he was. Clues included:

* In the office where we did research on the internet, there was a photo of his mom with president Clinton, and not your typical "shaking hands with the president" photo. They were holding a framed document together. I later noticed that next to that photo was a framed document on Oval Office stationery, thanking her for her participation in some kind of Arab-Israeli peace accord. I assume it was the same document.
    * After winter break, when I came for our first session in January, he had a giant shoe in a shadowbox. I had to ask. It was one of Shaq's.
    * He did an essay in which he named "my godfather, Wayne Gretzky" as his personal hero.

I later found out that his dad produced a well-known series of comedy movies in the 1980s. His mom had moved out here specifically so that her son could go to the school whose tutoring center I worked for (among other things). His dad visited once while I worked with the boy and he was a really nice guy. He thanked me for helping his son and told me that I had come very highly recommended by the school's tutoring center. (I guess, in retrospect, I thought he was nice because he said a nice thing about me. Oh well, objectivity shattered.)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    LEAVING ME FOR ANDIE MACDOWELL!

Doesn't anyone care?
    Hey, she's cute. Maybe you could have a threesome.

My celebrity was Steve McQueen. He came into the antique brass/nautical shop where I was working. He was about 60 at the time and he had a 25 yo girlfriend whose birthday was that day. She kept reminding him they had to catch a plane to Idaho where they were meeting her family for said BD. He seemed like a jerk.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 08-12-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added a story
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh, I once walked 2 miles in the snow to stand shivering in a park for an hour and then get sprayed all over with snow by Prince Charles' helicopter. He even shook hands with the person standing next to me, and smiled politely at me. I wouldn't have done it by choice, our school made us.

I wouldn't exactly call that greatness though. Unless we're talking about the world record holder for heir to the throne with the biggest ears.

And a band I played in as a teenager got a gig at Glastonbury in 1993. That was pretty cool.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Oh, I once walked 2 miles in the snow to stand shivering in a park for an hour and then get sprayed all over with snow by Prince Charles' helicopter. He even shook hands with the person standing next to me, and smiled politely at me. I wouldn't have done it by choice, our school made us.

I wouldn't exactly call that greatness though. Unless we're talking about the world record holder for heir to the throne with the biggest ears.

And a band I played in as a teenager got a gig at Glastonbury in 1993. That was pretty cool.
    Which band was that?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

• I got autographs from Ursula K. LeGuin and Stephen R. Donaldson.
    • I met John Kovalic (Dork Tower, Apples to Apples art) once.
    • I saw Arnold Swartzengger in California years ago at the opening of a Planet Hollywood.
    • Eric Idle walked right by me in the hall of a computer game company; I wanted to say something witty and knew I had no chance to pull it off, and I think he said something smartass to me as he went by but can't for the life of me remember it now.
    • I spent two weeks on retreats with Christian psychologist and prolific author Larry Crabb, even had a one-on-one spiritual direction counseling session with him.
    • I talked for an hour on the phone to Patty Hansen, who helped her husband Mark Victor Hansen build the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" empire.
    • Sang as part of a backup choir for Christian singer/author Michael Card.

I think the biggest thing now is that I feel no need to impress anyone or "say something important" around bigwigs. When I was younger, I'd sort of flip because I would want to make the most of the opportunity. Now it's sorta "meh." People are just people, and I don't feel the need to somehow achieve something out of the encounter, although if it happens, that is very awesome.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I shook hands with President Clinton in 1996 when he visited the American embassy of the country I lived in at the time and gave a speech in the on-embassy school auditorium. Hillary was there too. It's too bad the Lewinsky affair hadn't yet broken; in that case my adolescent mind would've been much less bored. (To be clear, I was bored by the speech. The handshaking was embarrassingly exciting considering that I had tried to argue with my friends beforehand that it was senseless and that we shouldn't make an undignified effort to get to do it. )

That same year I had eye contact with Val Kilmer for like ten seconds on a movie set that a friend's parents had somehow gotten us access to. (Expatriate kids in backward countries get to do cool things.) I know it was that long because we analyzed for hours afterward why he had maintained eye contact for so long. (As I recall, we settled on, "What are those kids doing here? Mental note to self: Write into my next contract that I don't want random kids on the set.")

As an adult I've met a couple of musicians that are famous within their subcultures but I figure since they're not household names they're not worth mentioning here. I did very much enjoy getting hit on by the lead singer and creative force of one of my all-time favorite bands though.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    As an adult I've met a couple of musicians that are famous within their subcultures but I figure since they're not household names they're not worth mentioning here. I did very much enjoy getting hit on by the lead singer and creative force of one of my all-time favorite bands though.
    People keep NOT naming these musical artists. Very annoying! This is the Internet in 2008. People can conceivably possess every recording these people have ever done in this day and age.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I mentioned mine and nobody knows who they are.