User Tag List

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Easiest-To-Use Streaming Devices

Anybody have any experience/suggestions about which streaming devices are the easiest/simplest possible to use?

I'm looking for something my almost 80 yo mother might be able to use on her own to watch Netflix- she can barely work her cell phone. A couple of people I know have suggested Roku. I guess I'm just looking to gather a few more opinions.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I'm at my aunts house and the room i'm staying in has a smart tv, once you set it up and tell her what button to use on the remote that might be an option. I couldn't figure it out myself cuz i was hitting source and you hit the multi colored box but seemed easier than roku (which my aunt has at the condo). Of course at home I use a ps3 but i doubt your mom plays video games and while it's intutitve to me cuz i've had it since 2009 i believe a lot of people get undone by it and i'm usually just let me do it. I dunno nothing's gonna be easy but either a smart tv where all she has to do is turn on the tv or a roku probably.

I acutally asked my mom if she wanted a roku she was like you taught me how to connect my computer to the tv for netflix i don't need another device doing that is fine
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Z Buck McFate liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Anybody have any experience/suggestions about which streaming devices are the easiest/simplest possible to use?

I'm looking for something my almost 80 yo mother might be able to use on her own to watch Netflix- she can barely work her cell phone. A couple of people I know have suggested Roku. I guess I'm just looking to gather a few more opinions.
    Yes. Sometimes when I am traveling, I hang the shirts in the bathroom and put the shower on and close the bathroom door so the steam will get rid of the wrinkles.

Outside of that, I have The Original Jiffy Steamer. It has a long pole and a place to hang the clothes on so you can steam them. Mostly it collects dust.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

what about a streaming stick like
    Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now

they also have one for by roku and one done by amazon all seem to be 30 and have the same features, and it allow her to put on different tvs, since it's essentially a usb drive look into that cuz i think it comes with a remote and all it would be is her plugging it into the tvs usb port and changing the source.

google seems more involved but the fire one seems pretty much plug and play once you put it on the wifi.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what about a streaming stick like
    Their TV doesn't have a usb port (and it's not a smart TV). It doesn't even have an HD port- just an rca port and component port.

I use a game console too, personally. I used to use my blu-ray player, but now I use my son's Wi because it's got a closed caption option and he doesn't use it to play games anymore.

I'm just going to go to Microcenter today to ask what's best for a short-tempered elderly technophobe to watch netflix. So far, from what people I know have suggested, it's looking like Roku.

[And thanks. ]

MBTI
    yupp

all new tvs (even the dumb ones, have usb ports pretty much) and aren't that expensive. you should buy your mom a new tv as well cuz i find hooking things up to them is easier than the box tvs of the 90s. Also I realized it's hdmi not usb. and does roku even work with the older tvs. you might just have to get her a tv anyways.

and really if she's a technophobe, does she really want to be able to stream?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    and really if she's a technophobe, does she really want to be able to stream?
    Yeah. She's been nagging about wanting netflix for a while, and my dad has refused to figure out how to set it up. (lol.)

I went with the Roku- it's *supposedly* compatible with every kind of TV. (And I suspect my parent's TV actually does have an hdmi port anyway, and my dad just didn't see it when I asked. Pfft.)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Yeah. She's been nagging about wanting netflix for a while, and my dad has refused to figure out how to set it up. (lol.)

I went with the Roku- it's *supposedly* compatible with every kind of TV. (And I suspect my parent's TV actually does have an hdmi port anyway, and my dad just didn't see it when I asked. Pfft.)
    o ok just making sure. I suggested the fire stick to my mom and she was more open about that then the roku mostly cuz of the price. but for now she just plugs in a laptop and does that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all