First 6789 Last

Thread: Veggie people?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Ok, well I've never heard of a case of malnutrition which wasn't due to inability to get food, that's why I asked.
    Actually, being a person who was raised on the poverty line, we were able to eat better nutritionally in some ways, because we ate a lot of beans and rice, and more vegetables. Not that I'm advocating poverty as a dietary lifestyle.

MBTI
    ISTx

Do you like soy protein LJ? I'm assuming it's safe?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Do you like soy protein LJ? I'm assuming it's safe?
    Yes Do you have something in mind? I drink soy protein shakes sometimes ( I drank them a lot when I got out of the hospital ).

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Yes Do you have something in mind? I drink soy protein shakes sometimes ( I drank them a lot when I got out of the hospital ).
    Not really. Just saw you were concerned at one point with getting protein, being a vegetarian. Soy protein is probably covered in Vegetarianism 101 () but just making sure you got the memo if it wasn't. heh heh

MBTI
    ISTx

I should probably get out of a vegatarian discussion. I'm out of my league here.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Actually, being a person who was raised on the poverty line, we were able to eat better nutritionally in some ways, because we ate a lot of beans and rice, and more vegetables. Not that I'm advocating poverty as a dietary lifestyle.
    Actually in medieval Europe, peasants fared better nutritionally than nobles and royalty. Talk about excess, people with means gorged themselves on luxurious meat and wine till they were under the table in a stupor and just plain obese. Seriously, look at those pics of King Louix XVIV...or XVII...or... I lose count of the numbers. Very high in fat and excess, excess, excess. GOUT.

Peasants on the other hand, ate very simple meals consisting of 'mostly bread and a little red wine.'
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Not really. Just saw you were concerned at one point with getting protein, being a vegetarian. Soy protein is probably covered in Vegetarianism 101 () but just making sure you got the memo if it wasn't. heh heh
    Whey protein has higher bioavailability, but I'm thinking it's a milk product, so I guess it's out for vegans.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Actually in medieval Europe, peasants fared better nutritionally than nobles and royalty.
    Yes, the nobility had unhealthy tendencies, but weren't the peasants pretty lacking in a balanced diet? Suffering from stunted growth and a variety of diseases they might have avoided with a functioning immune system?

MBTI
    GONE

Well, if you really want to get technical, medieval Europe was pretty nast all around. I mean, they thought 'too much' bathing was bad for you.

But comparatively between peasant and nobility in in the same area and same time era -- I think most historians would agree that peasants lucked out health wise compared to their lords in medieval western europe.

I bet Google agrees with me.

I'm not saying meat is a 'bad' thing, though a lot of special diet proponents will say this. I'm just saying the dependence on meat is really mental and a cultural byproduct rather than based on nutritional superiority or fact.

In a historical class view, meat and seafood have always been the 'prize' of all food, the most expensive, the hardest to procure. 'Steak' and 'lobster' are synonymous with luxury. (And on the low end 'Spam' and 'tuna' are much maligned

So people today, in the states but especially in other cultures, prize and value meat. But you bring in that mentality of scarcity into the 'modern age' where food in general is more plentiful and easier to procure and no longer scarce and medical science tells us what our bodies actually need to be at peak performance annnnnnd -- turns out 'splurging' all the time on meat is bad for you.

It's really about moderation with anything, diet, excercise, etc.

But I don't think you'd find as many medical or nutritional experts telling you 'only eat veggies and fruits in moderation' while they will tell you that about refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol and meat.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Well, if you really want to get technical...
    That's all I ever wanted.
    But I don't think you'd find as many medical or nutritional experts telling you 'only eat veggies and fruits in moderation' while they will tell you that about refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol and meat.
    I've done research and always come up with (for the general public) "A moderate amount of meat is better than a large amount or no meat at all."