User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Veggie people?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I just read an article on the deficiencies resulting from a vegetarian diet, so I don't think I'll ever ride that bus. You don't see many (I would say "any" but I'm sure there's ONE somewhere) pro athlete vegetarians. If you eat eggs and drink milk I think you'll be OK though.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I just read an article on the deficiencies resulting from a vegetarian diet, so I don't think I'll ever ride that bus. You don't see many (I would say "any" but I'm sure there's ONE somewhere) pro athlete vegetarians. If you eat eggs and drink milk I think you'll be OK though.
    Falcarius thinks he found him:

"And I will tell everyone this, my best performances were when I was 30 years old and I was a vegan vegetarian."- Carl Lewis
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    My GF is a vegetarian. I still eat meat, but I eat significantly less than I did when I was a child. For a while, I was eating on average only one meal a day with meat. When I was a child, I was eating the typical Southern USA diet, which includes meat at every meal. They even put meat in the vegetables as a kind of seasoning.
    Hah ha! Same here. BBQ on everything. When we went vegetarian, we bought a can of Luck's Pinto beans, thinking, " Hey, beans", and after we ate them, we felt kinda sick, and I got suspicious. So I called the company and they told us it was cooked with LARD. LOL. Oh, man. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    If you cook it in a soup like that, it won't change, it'll still be white and mushy. If you want a tougher, meatier texture, you can press some of the water out and fry it with some hot oil.

I don't really care for tofu, though. I'd prefer beans and rice, lentils, or tempeh, to get my non-meat protein.

Oooooh, I forgot about tempeh! That's made from chick peas, right?

MBTI
    GONE

There are vegan athletes. Vegan body builders even have their own website and forum and there are some well known ones. I've heard trad body builders say that it's admirable, but it's just not physically possible to get the same results without the large amounts of animal protein in the trad body builder diet.

Americans eat A LOT of protein and way more than you can digest and incorporate in one day. Eat more of anything than you can use or store and it passes your system or turns to fat. Or something. I'm pretty sure that's it though.

Most people don't really know the nutritional content of food. And meat while it does have nutritional value and is tasty, isn't an essential 'must have' at every meal. If you start getting into digestive health and other stuff, you will find myriad reasons not to eat meat.

And Lady Jaye - HA HA HA, so true!

Lots of people eat vegan and vegetarian for 'diet' or 'health' reasons, but you still have to check labels carefully. Lots of veggie prepacked and restaurant and even recipe home made food is high in fat and calories and/or salt. Or are similar fat percentage wise to meat meals.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

Most people don't really know the nutritional content of food. And meat while it does have nutritional value and is tasty, isn't an essential 'must have' at every meal. If you start getting into digestive health and other stuff, you will find myriad reasons not to eat meat.
    Exactly. I was really unsure at first about cutting out meat, because I had been a meat eater all of my life, and was quite content with it. I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to get enough protein, but I came to realize that there's a lot of protein in several grains and lentils. More than enough for the average person.

And Lady Jaye - HA HA HA, so true!

Lots of people eat vegan and vegetarian for 'diet' or 'health' reasons, but you still have to check labels carefully. Lots of veggie prepacked and restaurant and even recipe home made food is high in fat and calories and/or salt. Or are similar fat percentage wise to meat meals.
    Ha hahaha! I KNOW! I'm a fastidious label reader, and I still got tricked! Stupid southern pinto beans.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Exactly. I was really unsure at first about cutting out meat, because I had been a meat eater all of my life, and was quite content with it. I was concerned I wasn't going to be able to get enough protein, but I came to realize that there's a lot of protein in several grains and lentils. More than enough for the average person.

Ha hahaha! I KNOW! I'm a fastidious label reader, and I still got tricked! Stupid southern pinto beans.
    This really isn't my favorite argument, but it's getting a little one sided here. 1. There are things, good things, which meat does to your body, that are only done half as well by veggies.
    2. The "problems" of eating meat, if saturated fat is kept low, are overblown and can usually be prevented.
    3. Protein types vary in usefulness, see 1.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

This really isn't my favorite argument, but it's getting a little one sided here. 1. There are things, good things, which meat does to your body, that are only done half as well by veggies.
    2. The "problems" of eating meat, if saturated fat is kept low, are overblown and can usually be prevented.
    3. Protein types vary in usefulness, see 1.
    I eat vegetarian because I have an autoimmune disorder that requires me to changing my eating habits. Vegetarianism isn't for everyone, but it has helped me. I also take supplements, to take care of what might go missing with my diet, such as B12 and Vitamin D.

I would like to point out that I know of several people who eat quite a lot of meat, and they ended up being malnourished. That isn't uncommon.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I would like to point out that I know of several people who eat quite a lot of meat, and they ended up being malnourished. That isn't uncommon.
    I find that interesting. Were they normal ordinary regular people with homes and money?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I find that interesting. Were they normal ordinary regular people with homes and money?
    I'm going to ignore the inference that I'm daft enough to include those on the poverty line.

No. They were everyday, run of the mill, idiot white men.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm going to ignore the inference that I'm daft enough to include those on the poverty line.

No. They were everyday, run of the mill, idiot white men.
    Ok, well I've never heard of a case of malnutrition which wasn't due to inability to get food, that's why I asked.