User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Veggie people?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I'm amenable to tofu, but I'm not sure how to prepare it, except for frying it in a pan, and we can't do that. Is there a way to cook it in a microwave?
    Not sure what you can and can't eat. This soup might be something you can adapt:

Tofu, cut in cubes
    Noodles (rice or hokkien or whatever)
    Vegies (eg broccoli, Asian greens like choy sum, green beans, whatever)
    Vegetable stock cube (or soya sauce or salt)
    Grated ginger (optional)
    Water

Boil in a saucepan until everything's cooked through. You might need to add some of the vegies at the end so they're not overcooked. Firm tofu works better than softer tofu for this recipe.

I rarely eat tofu these days though - seems to upset my innards, unfortunately.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTP

I was curious - for those here who a vegan/vegetarian, where do you get your sources of protein? Right now, since I've only been out of the hospital for a few months, I'm still kind of limited, so I was looking for some suggestions. I'm amenable to tofu, but I'm not sure how to prepare it, except for frying it in a pan, and we can't do that. Is there a way to cook it in a microwave?
    Outside of soybeans, the best source of protein is to be found in lentil dishes... a major staple in Indian cuisine... no meal (at least in the north and east) is complete without a Daal (lentil dish)... it's NOT a soup, contrary to what some people will say... it's generally eaten with rice... so it's liquid and not very viscous, but it's mixed with rice (manually... i.e. with your own hands as you sit to eat)... go to an Indian grocer and you'll find many varieties... BUT... you can have it as a soup and it's not bad... but the mouthfeel isn't great without rice or even some Indian breads like roti or paraatha...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

All excellent suggestions! Thanks for all of the imput - I used to be such a meat eater as a teenager, and now that I've gone meatless, I feel much better in general ( not that I don't occasionally give a longing glance to BBQ on a bun sometimes. ) I'll have to try the tofu recipe.

And I'd completely forgotten about lentils. I used to eat them all the time - I should grab some next time. A friend suggested quinoa - has anyone tried it?

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, quinoa's cool. I like couscous and buckwheat better though Kibbled wheat and buckwheat were staples in medieval Europe, eaten as the now-forgotten dish called frumenty. I eat it though, still

It's basically any of these sorts of grains, soaked in hot water that's flavoured in any number of different ways to make it go with whatever dish you're eating with it. My favourites are soaking it in vegetable stock/bouillon or just hot water with a spoonful or two of muscovado sugar and some ground almond mixed in. But I've mixed it with all sorts of herbs, sometimes with cream, soured cream and anything else - endless potential.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah, quinoa's cool. I like couscous and buckwheat better though Kibbled wheat and buckwheat were staples in medieval Europe, eaten as the now-forgotten dish called frumenty. I eat it though, still

It's basically any of these sorts of grains, soaked in hot water that's flavoured in any number of different ways to make it go with whatever dish you're eating with it. My favourites are soaking it in vegetable stock/bouillon or just hot water with a spoonful or two of muscovado sugar and some ground almond mixed in. But I've mixed it with all sorts of herbs, sometimes with cream, soured cream and anything else - endless potential.
    that sounds crazy... I'd love to try that... first thing to go on my menu when I get back to the U.S. (two weeks and counting, baby!)
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah it was Europe's staple before the naughty potato was brought over from across the pond

Oh, don't forget bulgur wheat, it's great for frumenty.

*historical cuisine enthusiast*
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    yeah it was Europe's staple before the naughty potato was brought over from across the pond

Oh, don't forget bulgur wheat, it's great for frumenty.

*historical cuisine enthusiast*
    Have you tried kamut? I had it once as a cereal, and it was kinda tasty.

Do you have any recipes you could share? I'm trying to find simple ways to cook some of this.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Not sure what you can and can't eat. This soup might be something you can adapt:

Tofu, cut in cubes
    Noodles (rice or hokkien or whatever)
    Vegies (eg broccoli, Asian greens like choy sum, green beans, whatever)
    Vegetable stock cube (or soya sauce or salt)
    Grated ginger (optional)
    Water

Boil in a saucepan until everything's cooked through. You might need to add some of the vegies at the end so they're not overcooked. Firm tofu works better than softer tofu for this recipe.

I rarely eat tofu these days though - seems to upset my innards, unfortunately.

A great suggestion Now, I've never cooked tofu before, so does it look the same at all times, or does it have a cooked look to it?

MBTI
    INTP

My GF is a vegetarian. I still eat meat, but I eat significantly less than I did when I was a child. For a while, I was eating on average only one meal a day with meat. When I was a child, I was eating the typical Southern USA diet, which includes meat at every meal. They even put meat in the vegetables as a kind of seasoning.

MBTI
    INTP

A great suggestion Now, I've never cooked tofu before, so does it look the same at all times, or does it have a cooked look to it?
    If you cook it in a soup like that, it won't change, it'll still be white and mushy. If you want a tougher, meatier texture, you can press some of the water out and fry it with some hot oil.

I don't really care for tofu, though. I'd prefer beans and rice, lentils, or tempeh, to get my non-meat protein.