12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Creativity In Music Is Dead

I have noticed a real decline in music over the last 20 years. There isn't a whole lot that's new. To elaborate a little, think about popular music in the 40s - the big band music was good. It's still good when you listen to it now. Then came the 50s and rock and roll was born. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly. It was different. You hadn't heard stuff like that before. Then came the 60s, the Beatles and music again was reborn in a huge way. Then in the 70s, there was a lot of unique and new stuff. Boston, Kansas, ELO, Pink Floyd. You hadn't heard things like this. It was so different. In the 80s and birth of MTV there was again a lot of new creative stuff. Missing Persons, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Madonna, Queen (really started in the 70s), U2, Tears for Fears. There was a new and unique style. Then came the 90s and there was some good music, like the Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots. They were good but not hugely differentiated. It was something of a blend between stuff from the 70s and 80s almost. It was during the 90s that I started to lose interest because there was nothing really truly new. There was nothing really that innovative. This continued into the 2000s and till now.

It is like the innovation died. Don't get me wrong. There is good music but nothing truly new or differentiated. If you took most music from 10 years ago and played it on the radio today, it wouldn't sound out of place. I like Lady Gaga for example as well as the next person but she seems like a clone of Madonna.

What happened? Am I missing it? Who is breaking new ground? Post videos if you have them.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Aurora James liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

yeah the radio and what's popular really isn't good way to find originality, even in the past lot of stuff on the radio was "borrowed" from unknown muscians. I'm not musical really so I will summon @Evee. I will mention that it's all about marketing 80% marketing 40% about talent before auto tune now it's probably 95% marketing and 5% after auto tune
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

It is not dead, it’s missing.
    Plus, what’ve remained form the past are the best ones..
    In fact in the past there weren’t any chances unless for who’ve gave best of who there were.
    Also, cheapness is widely common nowadays.
    It’s the system which fails to filter correctly.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.
    Likes Yaru liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have noticed a real decline in music over the last 20 years. There isn't a whole lot that's new. To elaborate a little, think about popular music in the 40s - the big band music was good. It's still good when you listen to it now. Then came the 50s and rock and roll was born. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly. It was different. You hadn't heard stuff like that before. Then came the 60s, the Beatles and music again was reborn in a huge way. Then in the 70s, there was a lot of unique and new stuff. Boston, Kansas, ELO, Pink Floyd. You hadn't heard things like this. It was so different. In the 80s and birth of MTV there was again a lot of new creative stuff. Missing Persons, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Madonna, Queen (really started in the 70s), U2, Tears for Fears. There was a new and unique style. Then came the 90s and there was some good music, like the Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots. They were good but not hugely differentiated. It was something of a blend between stuff from the 70s and 80s almost. It was during the 90s that I started to lose interest because there was nothing really truly new. There was nothing really that innovative. This continued into the 2000s and till now.

It is like the innovation died. Don't get me wrong. There is good music but nothing truly new or differentiated. If you took most music from 10 years ago and played it on the radio today, it wouldn't sound out of place. I like Lady Gaga for example as well as the next person but she seems like a clone of Madonna.

What happened? Am I missing it? Who is breaking new ground? Post videos if you have them.
    Maybe you haven't kept up with the times [for whichever reason(s)]

Just off the top of my (tired) head. I'm sure others can chime in.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Cellmold, highlander, Ghost liked this post

Don't listen to the radio and rather search for more alternative bands and you'll be surprised how creative can even today's artists be.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Beck's new record is very good.
    Ray LaMontaigne is derivative but very good.

But overall, I agree with the OP.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

It is easy to perceive nostalgia as greater than reality.....

also, our perception of the world is clouded, limited and broken by our experiences and our judgements.
    I think it is up to younger generations to see what we cannot

Here's the only argument I see in favor of the view that creativity in music is dead: There are only so many instruments, and you can do only so many things with them. Therefore, with time, it will get more and more difficult to come up with new things. However, the number of combinations of instruments and the uses you can make of them is so vast that the end is still a long way off.

I agree with phobik: You probably just don't know where to look.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

First off, I agree that music has declined in quality. So much of it is over-processed garbage, all style and no substance. In my opinion, part of it has to do with the rise of music videos. Before MTV (which, ironically, isn't even about music anymore), music was judged more by talent than looks. Today, it's the complete opposite. Nobody cares if your music is crap, as long as you have visual appeal. That's why all the most popular "artists" rely on sex. Because it really does sell. Meanwhile, genuinely talented musicians usually get pushed to the bottom of the charts if they're not attractive.

To agree with @Inis Mona, there is some good music out there. It just doesn't get played on the radio.
    Likes Fay, Aurora James liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Creativity in music doesn't seem dead, just less widespread.

Some creative bands/musicians, in my opinion, of the last decade or so:
    Muse
    Jack White
    The Killers
    One Republic
    Coldplay
    Last edited by Myshkin14; 12-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.