User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    So...... Pop music is less creative because it doesn't follow the rules?
    Music without a framework is like typing random letters on the keyboard.

It doesn't make sense, and it isn't art.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    Oh come on. We all have access to the internet. Most of the world's population has. If anyone is complaining about not having access to interesting music, it's their own fault, not the industry's. The industry is not entitled to anyway, their sole interest is making money.
    We've only got so much time in our day, and as paradoxical as this may seem to NPs, having too much choice is as stifling as having too little. It is not unreasonable to assume that most people will identify a particular type of music they like and explore the variation within it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    If everybody took up your attitude we'd consider Taylor Swift the equal of Beethoven.
    Scary.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have noticed a real decline in music over the last 20 years. There isn't a whole lot that's new. To elaborate a little, think about popular music in the 40s - the big band music was good. It's still good when you listen to it now. Then came the 50s and rock and roll was born. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly. It was different. You hadn't heard stuff like that before. Then came the 60s, the Beatles and music again was reborn in a huge way. Then in the 70s, there was a lot of unique and new stuff. Boston, Kansas, ELO, Pink Floyd. You hadn't heard things like this. It was so different. In the 80s and birth of MTV there was again a lot of new creative stuff. Missing Persons, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Madonna, Queen (really started in the 70s), U2, Tears for Fears. There was a new and unique style. Then came the 90s and there was some good music, like the Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots. They were good but not hugely differentiated. It was something of a blend between stuff from the 70s and 80s almost. It was during the 90s that I started to lose interest because there was nothing really truly new. There was nothing really that innovative. This continued into the 2000s and till now.

It is like the innovation died. Don't get me wrong. There is good music but nothing truly new or differentiated. If you took most music from 10 years ago and played it on the radio today, it wouldn't sound out of place. I like Lady Gaga for example as well as the next person but she seems like a clone of Madonna.

What happened? Am I missing it? Who is breaking new ground? Post videos if you have them.

/thread
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Scary.
    I find songs about "breakups" and "love at first sight" so agonisingly contrived. It's not that romance isn't important to me - I just feel that there's so much more to life that simply isn't touched upon by these people.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria, LunaLuminosity liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Music without a framework is like typing random letters on the keyboard.

It doesn't make sense, and it isn't art.
    All sorts of random stuff qualifies as art. And even if it isn't art to you, to claim it as uncreative is just plain ridiculous. Creativity isn't just sheer mental force within the rules. Even as a personality type junkie, I wouldn't claim uncreative someone who defined INFJ as "person who likes horses," but I would raise major eyebrows at such person.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

/thread
    It is a good song.

Reminds me of Backstreet Boys

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I find songs about "breakups" and "love at first sight" so agonisingly contrived. It's not that romance isn't important to me - I just feel that there's so much more to life that simply isn't touched upon by these people.
    As a demisexual aromantic person, I'm painfully aware of how 99% of popular music is about either sex or romance, in some way or another. It bores me to tears.
    Likes Opal liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    All sorts of random stuff qualifies as art. And even if it isn't art to you, to claim it as uncreative is just plain ridiculous. Creativity isn't just sheer mental force within the rules. Even as a personality type junkie, I wouldn't claim uncreative someone who defined INFJ as "person who likes horses," but I would raise major eyebrows at such person.
    In a nutshell: your ability to create says nothing about the quality of your creations. Quality in art is not entirely subjective, and I've highlighted the implications of taking a relativist stance to @Marmotini already.

Imagination detached from anything else will lead to an incoherent mess (and Ne users are particularly vulnerable to this). To come back to my previous analogy, if I wrote a document with the letters mixed up and no verse, then called it poetry, you'd laugh at me. We take grammar (musical equivalent: a tonal system) and order (musical equivalent: forms/structures) as a given. Why the double standard?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

In a nutshell: your ability to create says nothing about the quality of your creations.
    Agreed. But who is talking about quality?

Quality in art is not entirely subjective, and I've highlighted the implications of taking a relativist stance to @Marmotini already.
    Tentatively agreed.

Imagination detached from anything else will lead to an incoherent mess (and Ne users are particularly vulnerable to this). To come back to my previous analogy, if I wrote a document with the letters mixed up and no verse, then called it poetry, you'd laugh at me. We take form as a given. Explain why music and visual arts should be any different.
    You'd be hard pressed to find an Ne user who would laugh at you. It's called free verse poetry. An incoherent mess of letters as poetry may not be particularly rich and meaningful, but even the most experimental branches of modern electronic dance music aren't that random. Maybe there is a coherence to popular music that you are not hearing.