User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    i added in a little something after you quoted me. and i think people's opinion on whether they think something is creative and original DEFINITELY relates to how much they like it. there are underlying patterns in pop music that are pretty obvious to point out but i still think creativity and originality depend on how much the song stands out to the individual.

as for why i'm taking it personally, it's 9 years of pent up rage due to seeing people shit on artists because "old music is better durr hurr." it's a really old act that i'm tired of seeing.

also the post you quoted isn't addressing you
    gotcha
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

hey i studied this for my psych stats class. this is exactly what i'm getting at
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes prplchknz liked this post

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I really dislike it when people say 't's all been done/said'; that cannot possibly be true.

Listen to Haydn, then listen to Scriabin...both wrote piano music, but sound completely different, so it's not that instruments haven't changed.

We're just in a fallow period creatively. The next big thing will shock everything, I'm sure.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    We're just in a fallow period creatively. The next big thing will shock everything, I'm sure.
    Oh, I do hope so. It has to get better at some point, because I'm honestly not sure how it could get any worse. The first time I heard "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea, I thought it was a joke. But the joke was on me, because it was real. ALL TOO REAL.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

MBTI
    ISTx

Too many bands are hung up on creating the next hit song (get rich quick) and not placing their efforts on creating a fresh and solid album with substance. I blame pop culture, because the masses eat shitty music up. They love it, and it's making some people very wealthy. There is still a lot of good music being created, but like others have mentioned, you'll need to dig a little deeper and find new avenues in order to discover and explore these bands... They won't be mentioned on TV and they won't be mentioned on the radio.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

2004 music does stand out next to 2014 music. There have been some shifts in the overall sound (a whole lot more EDM elements nowadays, for one). But yes, it doesn't stand out as much as 1988 music in 1998. There's a lot of remixing of older styles in 2010s music. And yes, a lot of selling out to reach out to as many people as possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Myshkin14 View Post
    Creativity in music doesn't seem dead, just less widespread.

Three creative bands in my opinion of the last decade or so:
    Muse
    Jack White
    The Killers
    One Republic
    Coldplay
    Lack of popularity kills it though. If people can't make money making music then they are likely to invest time in things other things. I've listened to some of the videos above (not all yet). Some is interesting. Some seems rather monotonous and repetitive and given the number of views which is an indication of lack of popularity, well it's hard to see how long the bands will last or stay together. If Pink Floyd didn't make any money on their records, I don't think they would have lasted very long let alone hone that music over a period of time to the level of excellence they had.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I think creativity may have topped out in the '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Oh, I do hope so. It has to get better at some point, because I'm honestly not sure how it could get any worse. The first time I heard "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea, I thought it was a joke. But the joke was on me, because it was real. ALL TOO REAL.
    It's like Charles Krauthammer said, real life overtakes parody.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    First off, I agree that music has declined in quality. So much of it is over-processed garbage, all style and no substance. In my opinion, part of it has to do with the rise of music videos. Before MTV (which, ironically, isn't even about music anymore), music was judged more by talent than looks. Today, it's the complete opposite. Nobody cares if your music is crap, as long as you have visual appeal. That's why all the most popular "artists" rely on sex. Because it really does sell. Meanwhile, genuinely talented musicians usually get pushed to the bottom of the charts if they're not attractive.

To agree with @Inis Mona, there is some good music out there. It just doesn't get played on the radio.
    I think we tend to misjudge the lack of creativity in music past because we remember what time saw fit to preserve. We do not remember the boring folk musicians, the ten thousand Beatle copycats, vapid Spectorites, shitty punk bands, and German Schlagersänger of the 70s. Mass media was always for the masses. It is just that globalisation has produced bigger media phenomena for bigger masses because the common denominator for what works gets smaller the bigger the audience becomes. As you said yourself, talented musicians are not gone; they are just not on the top of the charts.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

lol