You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes BadOctopus, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have noticed a real decline in music over the last 20 years. There isn't a whole lot that's new. To elaborate a little, think about popular music in the 40s - the big band music was good. It's still good when you listen to it now. Then came the 50s and rock and roll was born. Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly. It was different. You hadn't heard stuff like that before. Then came the 60s, the Beatles and music again was reborn in a huge way. Then in the 70s, there was a lot of unique and new stuff. Boston, Kansas, ELO, Pink Floyd. You hadn't heard things like this. It was so different. In the 80s and birth of MTV there was again a lot of new creative stuff. Missing Persons, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Madonna, Queen (really started in the 70s), U2, Tears for Fears. There was a new and unique style. Then came the 90s and there was some good music, like the Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots. They were good but not hugely differentiated. It was something of a blend between stuff from the 70s and 80s almost. It was during the 90s that I started to lose interest because there was nothing really truly new. There was nothing really that innovative. This continued into the 2000s and till now.

It is like the innovation died. Don't get me wrong. There is good music but nothing truly new or differentiated. If you took most music from 10 years ago and played it on the radio today, it wouldn't sound out of place. I like Lady Gaga for example as well as the next person but she seems like a clone of Madonna.

What happened? Am I missing it? Who is breaking new ground? Post videos if you have them.
    I agree with the others; pop culture is stagnant. There are plenty of talented indie artists that never find air time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

ITT:

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes swordpath, cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah the radio and what's popular really isn't good way to find originality, even in the past lot of stuff on the radio was "borrowed" from unknown muscians. I'm not musical really so I will summon @Evee. I will mention that it's all about marketing 80% marketing 40% about talent before auto tune now it's probably 95% marketing and 5% after auto tune
    also about this autotune thing...i think autotune today has become a way to crap on someone's merit as an artist without really knowing what it does. when people think autotune they think t-pain or ke$ha who exaggerate it without relying on their vocal talent. putting aside the fact that ke$ha is actually a pretty good singer from what i've seen, i see autotune as an easier means to cleaning up recordings rather than having to take after take. kelly clarkson uses it, mariah carey uses it, beyonce uses it, demi lovato uses it, and yet all the artists i listed could out-sing literally all of the artists highlander listed in the OP. he even posted in a thread about ariana grande (who definitely uses autotune) that he thinks she has a good voice. it makes songs sound cleaner and more concise. sure the live performances don't hit every single note perfectly, but they still have the talent to hit the notes. you could go to a live performance in my KC blog and kelly literally slays every note in the song with great clarity and control.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    also about this autotune thing...i think autotune today has become a way to crap on someone's merit as an artist without really knowing what it does. when people think autotune they think t-pain or ke$ha who exaggerate it without relying on their vocal talent. putting aside the fact that ke$ha is actually a pretty good singer from what i've seen, i see autotune as an easier means to cleaning up recordings rather than having to take after take. kelly clarkson uses it, mariah carey uses it, beyonce uses it, demi lovato uses it, and yet all the artists i listed could out-sing literally all of the artists highlander listed in the OP. he even posted in a thread about ariana grande (who definitely uses autotune) that he thinks she has a good voice. it makes songs sound cleaner and more concise. sure the live performances don't hit every single note perfectly, but they still have the talent to hit the notes. you could go to a live performance in my KC blog and kelly literally slays every note in the song with great clarity and control.
    yeah i'm not saying all artists on the radio don't have taltent whatsoever. but to say pop music isn't 95% marketing, is a lie. I like KC through beyonce I do I am not ashamed only heard the frozen song by demi lovato. I never listened to ariana grande. but this a thread about originality and creativity in the music and the record companies are tweens that are highly influenced but i don't sit here and pretend it's something it isn't. and they tend to release what they are 95% sure will sale, and that's usually playing it safe
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

anyway, here's my $0.02 as a millennial (who lives in this generation raised on the so-called "unoriginal and mechanical" music). i don't give two shits whether something is original or creative. listening to music is a personal experience, and if you're listening to music for how it compares to others then i don't think you're listening to music the right way.

the beatles honestly are aggravating to listen to - they're not that good. queen, pink floyd, and all these artists who have songs i actually DO like...honestly it all sounds the same to me. this is what i mean by personal experience. if you grew up with this music you'd obviously be more attached and aware of how it stands out, but to me a lot of these artists seem the same and the concepts aren't anything new. i actually find a lot of old songs to be a little tame compared to now, especially when we're a generation learning to embrace our sexuality and wear it with pride.

yes, a lot of it can be unoriginal in the grand scheme of things and tends to be over-marketed. i have a HUGE rant about ariana grande and even though i know she's talented she basically is treating her career in the music industry like a popularity contest. but honestly this whole topic is subjective and honestly it's gonna vary from people's experience. pop music can be very uplifting and inspiring. lyrically it may not be the most profound but i still think the emotions can come across the same - in fact a lot of the time i feel like when artists fill their lyrics with prose and a "mysterious/indie" vibe it sounds way too forced...like they're trying to be different...which they probably are haha. in my experience Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" got me through being in the closet from my parents for 5 years. and nothing could replicate britney spears's "Oops I Did It Again" for my inner child. it's all personal. and y'all ragging on the music i love just because you miss the good old days really make me salty because i guarantee you that music will continue to evolve and looked back upon with admiration like it always has.

so something that may seem unoriginal or done before you to may totally completely stand out to someone else and really click with them. and vice versa.

chandler out
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    anyway, here's my $0.02 as a millennial (who lives in this generation raised on the so-called "unoriginal and mechanical" music). i don't give two shits whether something is original or creative. listening to music is a personal experience, and if you're listening to music for how it compares to others then i don't think you're listening to music the right way.

the beatles honestly are aggravating to listen to - they're not that good. queen, pink floyd, and all these artists who have songs i actually DO like...honestly it all sounds the same to me. this is what i mean by personal experience. if you grew up with this music you'd obviously be more attached and aware of how it stands out, but to me a lot of these artists seem the same and the concepts aren't anything new. i actually find a lot of old songs to be a little tame compared to now, especially when we're a generation learning to embrace our sexuality and wear it with pride.

yes, a lot of it can be unoriginal in the grand scheme of things and tends to be over-marketed. i have a HUGE rant about ariana grande and even though i know she's talented she basically is treating her career in the music industry like a popularity contest. but honestly this whole topic is subjective and honestly it's gonna vary from people's experience. pop music can be very uplifting and inspiring. lyrically it may not be the most profound but i still think the emotions can come across the same - in fact a lot of the time i feel like when artists fill their lyrics with prose and a "mysterious/indie" vibe it sounds way too forced...like they're trying to be different...which they probably are haha. in my experience Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" got me through being in the closet from my parents for 5 years. and nothing could replicate britney spears's "Oops I Did It Again" for my inner child. it's all personal. and y'all ragging on the music i love just because you miss the good old days really make me salty because i guarantee you that music will continue to evolve and looked back upon with admiration like it always has.

chandler out
    Really? this thread is about creativity and originality in music not whether or not you like it. I said i like pop music but you are taking this thread way more personal then you should. lot of people hate the beatles. and yeah there is nostalgia related to music. that's why songs that came out when were teens are more awesome then today's music to us, there's an article i'm gonna find it gonna take me a bit

edit:

Musical nostalgia: The psychology and neuroscience for song preference and the reminiscence bump.

As I plod through my 20s, I’ve noticed a strange phenomenon: The music I loved as a teenager means more to me than ever—but with each passing year, the new songs on the radio sound like noisy nonsense. On an objective level, I know this makes no sense. I cannot seriously assert that Ludacris’ “Rollout” is artistically superior to Katy Perry’s “Roar,” yet I treasure every second of the former and reject the latter as yelping pablum. If I listen to the Top 10 hits of 2013, I get a headache. If I listen to the Top 10 hits of 2003, I get happy.
    . In recent years, psychologists and neuroscientists have confirmed that these songs hold disproportionate power over our emotions. And researchers have uncovered evidence that suggests our brains bind us to the music we heard as teenagers more tightly than anything we’ll hear as adults—a connection that doesn’t weaken as we age. Musical nostalgia, in other words, isn’t just a cultural phenomenon: It’s a neuronic command. And no matter how sophisticated our tastes might otherwise grow to be, our brains may stay jammed on those songs we obsessed over during the high drama of adolescence.
    the first article was one I was thinking of but also found this: Science Explains Why We Like Old Music Better Than Everything Else - Mic

In numerous scientific experiments, researchers have shown that subjects are much more likely to report positive feelings from a given piece of music if they've heard it before. Songs score even higher marks if they can trigger a specific, storied memory — like a late summer night spent driving around with "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" on the radio. Familiar music is also a much more reliable way for people to induce good moods in themselves — in fact, the emotional centers of the brain are more active when one listens to familiar music.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Really? this thread is about creativity and originality in music not whether or not you like it. I said i like pop music but you are taking this thread way more personal then you should.
    i added in a little something after you quoted me. and i think people's opinion on whether they think something is creative and original DEFINITELY relates to how much they like it. there are underlying patterns in pop music that are pretty obvious to point out but i still think creativity and originality depend on how much the song stands out to the individual.

as for why i'm taking it personally, it's 9 years of pent up rage due to seeing people shit on artists because "old music is better durr hurr." it's a really old act that i'm tired of seeing.

also the post you quoted isn't addressing you
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes prplchknz liked this post