User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Sia is a brilliant much needed artist. She like transcended...all the previous artists were paving the way for her...they were all falling short...talking about you know, the main ones...like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc....all of them seem cheesy and superficial compared to the genius of Sia.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Sia is a brilliant much needed artist. She like transcended...all the previous artists were paving the way for her...they were all falling short...talking about you know, the main ones...like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc....all of them seem cheesy and superficial compared to the genius of Sia.
    I wouldn't put it quite like that. There were many pop artists from decades before who were at Sia's level. It's more like Beyonce and Lady Gaga (and Mylie Cyrus and Brittany Spears and ...) are a step down from them, trading substance for style.

E.g., Evanescence:

Goo Goo Dolls:

Just samples. I've longs lists of music from these past decades that I admire and listen to fairly regularly.

I will admit, however, no one quite gets to the level of musicality inherent in JS Bach from 300 years ago:

An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I wouldn't put it quite like that. There were many pop artists from decades before who were at Sia's level.

I see you had Evanescence on your mind as well. I turned off the Sia video thinking she was merely an Amy Lee knockoff.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I see you had Evanescence on your mind as well. I turned off the Sia video thinking she was merely an Amy Lee knockoff.
    Who is just another Freddie Mercury knockoff ...

Who is just a Puccini knockoff ...

There is a common theme here. Certain styles of music naturally resonate with people in a dramatic way. The real knock-off trend is the effort to connect musically with the emotions of drama common to humanity.

You'd think everyone would copy this kind of style, given its success. It's much harder than it looks. Coming up with a new dramatic hook is extremely difficult. Amy Lee's later music is very derivative of herself (same motifs, same harmonies, same musical architecture) and not as moving.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

When ideas are beholden to commodity, they decline in their intrinsic value. This is true of science and the arts. All one needs to do is to look for musical expression that is not beholden to commodity and you can see creativity flourish. Sometimes creativity can flourish despite its pressure to serve money, but the internet has helped to even the playing field. I've gotten excited about music at this time in my life because I am now close to people who are involved in the creative band music scene. It's like an entirely new world of sound I wasn't aware of before. The world is full of wonderful new sounds in all cultures and styles, but you have to ignore radio-play and grammy awards. Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber don't even exist in my sphere.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.
    Likes uumlau, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

There's a difference between the popular music diminishing in quality and music in general. If you think music isn't creative anymore, you haven't looked deep enough.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    There's a difference between the popular music diminishing in quality and music in general. If you think music isn't creative anymore, you haven't looked deep enough.
    YES.

There is a reason that "the popular music [is] diminishing in quality", as opposed to music overall. The current popular music is just people trying out new (and old) ideas in their own way. Most output is complete garbage, but you can't tell the garbage from the enduring and beautiful except by the passage of time. Thus all "classical" music is "classic" in the value sense. We keep it around from 100, 200, 300 years ago because it is THAT FUCKING GOOD!

When you go back only a few decades, there are hundreds of songs that are remembered, especially on oldies stations and the like. Those oldies stations play only the best music from their particular era. The reason most "popular music" seems like crap as compared to previous eras is that the comparison is unfair: we're listening to the very best of those older eras, and being forced to listen to everything (more or less) in the current day.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    YES.

There is a reason that "the popular music [is] diminishing in quality", as opposed to music overall. The current popular music is just people trying out new (and old) ideas in their own way. Most output is complete garbage, but you can't tell the garbage from the enduring and beautiful except by the passage of time. Thus all "classical" music is "classic" in the value sense. We keep it around from 100, 200, 300 years ago because it is THAT FUCKING GOOD!

When you go back only a few decades, there are hundreds of songs that are remembered, especially on oldies stations and the like. Those oldies stations play only the best music from their particular era. The reason most "popular music" seems like crap as compared to previous eras is that the comparison is unfair: we're listening to the very best of those older eras, and being forced to listen to everything (more or less) in the current day.
    Yes! It's essentially like art. The only art we keep from 500 years ago is the best of the best, very rarely would you find crappy art from back then (painting I mean). There are so many great bands out now, in fact, I'd argue that this decade is one of the best so far for genres like Metal and Indie. It's just that, Pop music has to be mediocre to appeal to the masses nowadays, the demographics have changed, the culture has changed, but there is still a very substantial portion of music that still has substance, is still raw, and still involves great talent, I'd say that they is more in fact.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

speaking musically, popular music was the most complex and intricate in the early 80's with the advent of genesis, fleetwood mac, etc....maybe late 70's too. If genesis tried to make a hit today they would not be listened to at all.

That being said, music making today is infinitely more complicated on the front of technology with people spending years refining the sound of their electric snare drums...

now in terms of creativity....well if we define creativity as a spontaneous way of creating music, we are actually witnessing the dawn of that.....as before spontaneously created music was frowned upon...it is essentially the opposite of preconstructed music such as classical music which is less creative but more structured.

I'm going by the spirit of creativity propagated by spontaneousness....the sort of creativity which transcends art and is found in all disciplines.

The difference is this...one group of creatives learns the rules and never breaks them...the other group learns and transcends.

IT's somewhat unfair though because someone in the 1700's can never be as creative as someone living now assuming all things equal since those of us living now can lean on the work of those in the 1700's but that is the way progress works...it's a process and we stand on the backs of giants.
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

check this out...Broadway play converted into garage rock song....

it was open
    -the end"