User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have that already. I have thousands of albums loaded on it.

Maybe this is the real problem though. I expect to hear something good on the radio. That used to be my entry point. I would then look up music from the artist and buy a bunch of stuff. Since I hear little good new stuff on the radio, I don't buy anything anymore.

The question then is what is the most efficient way of finding good stuff on the net? How do you wade through all the crap? Are there good rankings? Lists or something? Something indexed by type of music? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no idea.
    No, these are good questions. Personally, I am a member on a couple of message boards consisting of individuals who have similar tastes. So naturally, recommendations are made. I will say Spotify is an AWESOME way to explore new music. First of all, you can stream everything for free on their computer program (you have to pay if you're using phone app). Redirecting to https://www.spotify.com/us/ . You can find a majority of bands there, past to present, with a majority of their discography available to listen to. Even a lot of underground, indie stuff that isn't mainstream at all can be found on Spotify. If you find bands you like on there, it usually will recommend other similar artists and over time you will just discover things. Tell me, what are some bands you like already? What styles? Maybe I or others can just make a few recommendations here on stuff you're maybe not familiar with.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I have that already. I have thousands of albums loaded on it.

Maybe this is the real problem though. I expect to hear something good on the radio. That used to be my entry point. I would then look up music from the artist and buy a bunch of stuff. Since I hear little good new stuff on the radio, I don't buy anything anymore.

The question then is what is the most efficient way of finding good stuff on the net? How do you wade through all the crap? Are there good rankings? Lists or something? Something indexed by type of music? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no idea.
    There are a multitude of streaming "radio stations" provided by lots of different providers. Spotify is one. I'm currently experimenting with Amazon Prime's version, since I already have Prime for the free 2-day shipping and movie streaming.

In general, for all of these services, you can usually click "Like" or "Dislike" for a song that is playing, and the service will use that to figure out what to play next. Each "station" is its own genre, so you can switch over to classical, for example, if you get bored with pop.

Then there are other services, like Shazam (I believe it's called - I've not used this yet), where you can let your phone listen to music playing in a club or restaurant or mall, and it will find the name/artist so you can explore more music like that.

Finally, there is normal social media. When a friend posts something that they like on FB, or on this forum, I listen to it, and if I like it, I branch out and see what else there is to find. When I'm doing such things, my Youtube record of "Likes" gradually creates a history of things that I've liked, and I can browse that when I'm looking for something new and interesting that I might have forgotten over the past year or three. (Self-contradiction intended!)

Currently, I find myself going after various acoustic artists, such as Pentatonix, The Piano Guys, 2Cellos, and so on, where they present an eclectic mix of music, often mashing classical and modern pop forms in creative ways that would never have made it onto any radio in the past. There's a ton of new and creative music out there, but the ways to find it are very different than yesteryear's turning the dial on the radio and seeing if something agreeable plays.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    There are a multitude of streaming "radio stations" provided by lots of different providers. Spotify is one. I'm currently experimenting with Amazon Prime's version, since I already have Prime for the free 2-day shipping and movie streaming.

In general, for all of these services, you can usually click "Like" or "Dislike" for a song that is playing, and the service will use that to figure out what to play next. Each "station" is its own genre, so you can switch over to classical, for example, if you get bored with pop.

Then there are other services, like Shazam (I believe it's called - I've not used this yet), where you can let your phone listen to music playing in a club or restaurant or mall, and it will find the name/artist so you can explore more music like that.

Finally, there is normal social media. When a friend posts something that they like on FB, or on this forum, I listen to it, and if I like it, I branch out and see what else there is to find. When I'm doing such things, my Youtube record of "Likes" gradually creates a history of things that I've liked, and I can browse that when I'm looking for something new and interesting that I might have forgotten over the past year or three. (Self-contradiction intended!)

Currently, I find myself going after various acoustic artists, such as Pentatonix, The Piano Guys, 2Cellos, and so on, where they present an eclectic mix of music, often mashing classical and modern pop forms in creative ways that would never have made it onto any radio in the past. There's a ton of new and creative music out there, but the ways to find it are very different than yesteryear's turning the dial on the radio and seeing if something agreeable plays.

Thank you. Just being practical, until I can do streaming into my car, I'm afraid I won't spend the time to do it though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Thank you. Just being practical, until I can do streaming into my car, I'm afraid I won't spend the time to do it though.
    You can do it through your phone, with the right apps and a very small amount of money for whatever service you choose.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    You can do it through your phone, with the right apps and a very small amount of money for whatever service you choose.
    I have heard this and believe my new car could do it based on what the sales guy said. So it streams over the phone - like pandora or something - then to the car stereo?

Is the quality any good?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I have heard this and believe my new car could do it based on what the sales guy said. So it streams over the phone - like pandora or something - then to the car stereo?

Is the quality any good?
    It's digital quality, not phone voice quality, so yeah, pretty good. The main drawback would be areas with poor cell reception, especially with no LTE bandwidth. Driving on highways and around town, you should be fine.

And yeah, just be sure you have an aux stereo adapter for your car stereo, and it should plug into the headphone jack of your phone. Unless you're thinking bluetooth, which is also possible, if your car stereo handles that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    For music, I have found the band Iona (fusion/Celtic) to be different from the pablum :
    That band Iona is very INTJ, I bet you love Dream Theater - if you ignore the lyrics.

Likes grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahbob View Post
    That band Iona is very INTJ, I bet you love Dream Theater - if you ignore the lyrics.

Skewered.

(Holy sh*t. Someone landed a mortar round within my defenses! Oh, wait. A fellow 5w4. Provisional pass applied retroactively....)

Regarding Dream Theatre? I like them. Of course, I'm quite hard of hearing, so I generally mangle lyrics at the best of times.

(Brightens up.) Counter volley: what are the bands whose music you like?
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahbob View Post

I always liked Dream Theatre

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Its just that the mainstream has gone worse, not music itself. Also there is new music coming out exponentially and most of it gets lost somewhere if you dont know how to find it. Also because there is so much new music coming out, much of it is bound to sound similar(similar to new stuff or similar to old stuff). I would actually argue that creativity in music has gone up since 2000(not counting some epic symphonies made ages ago), but so has amount of uncreative music and other shit.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read