User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I agree with you but NTs are people as well and it seems like you're putting them in a box a little. There is a reason there are so many of them on the internet. People think about the world in different ways and they want to be around like-minded folks, it's only natural. Maybe if we all stop showing so much disdain for people who think differently than us the world would be a better place...unfortunately the best way to make this happen is to show that you support that with your actions.
    I'm not talking about NTs. I'm talking about a social norm, a social phenomenon.

    I am not too full of pride to admit I was a bit drunk and hysterical so the tone of this post is not exactly calm and intellectual, but for example, if I read Complex, I see my favorite musician, a musician who is EXCEEDINGLY KIND to her fans, say she can't even enjoy her fame because she hears so many people talk shit about her. Artists are sensitive people. We think it's ok to post Jennifer Lawrences nude photos, Eminem threatens to rape Izzy, people on Typology central act like it's hilarious to make fun of Amanda Bynes though she's obviously SEVERELY mentally ill, we demonize and shame people we barely know. I got temp banned on this site after being knowingly harassed by someone, and what she was saying was ignorant and cruel...why should I ignore such a person, why should I additionally ignore the neck beard who stalked me on Facebook and publicly slammed me here when we never had a relationship? Why is it crazy to defend Lana del Rey when I am not only a fan, but when she's so expressive about being hurt by slander?

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hacbad macbar View Post
    I'm not an adult. You are harrassing me.
    Wut, I never contact you....

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    To play devil's advocate...what about comedians? They make fun of other celebrities all the time?

    Should we muffle the voice of the inner comedian in order to be more fair?

    I don't know the answer. I'm just posing the question to further the discussion. My opinion is still unformed. Maybe someone can convince me of a certain normative core.
    Comedian is one thing. Witch hunt is something else. It's totally ok to question things, to laugh at the ridiculous, we have moved so far past that, it's like life under 40 is eternal high school.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    There's a lot wrong with the world, but talking shit about celebrities is pretty low on my list of things to sort out.

    I mean, of course they're people, there's a lot of people I dislike heavily, and a lot of people I care so little about it hurts to breathe their name. Katy Perry is one such example.

    The public domain is the public domain though, as AffirmitiveAnxiety touched on, these people make their living by remaining in the public eye for as long as possible with whatever craft or skill they're proficient at. Criticism, dislike, and sometimes abuse (while often unjustified) are part of the lifestyle and part of the career. It's perfectly reasonable that someone should form an opinion of someone that they've been made aware of, directly involved or not, and if the opinion is contemptuous then that's fine, you don't have to agree with them.

    As far as 'fucking up humanity' goes, I'd rather address the celebrity personality culture that seems to zombify some people before I address idle gossip.
    Destroying celebrities is destroying humans. Many old Hollywood stars left Hollywood because they got tired of being trashed and taken advantage of. Is that what they owe us for being beautiful and entertaining us? I don't know, I think it extends so far past celebrities, into seeing people on the internet as not being people either, ergo social bullying , suicides, etc. ...we see this shit all the time now.

    People are nasty. They're just as nasty as they were during the Salem Witch trials. All I have to do is tune into YouTube to see how cool it is to call Marilyn Manson an advocate for mass murder, Eli Roth is advocating rape, Lana del Rey is a whore for daring to perform in a rape scene.

    I don't know, maybe people are the same ignorant assholes they've always been, I expect too much from them, and the rise of Marxism has made the peasants that much nastier, and the spread of ignorance more normative. It wasn't until about thirty I began understanding elitism in art though my ESFJ tried to shove it down my throat in my twenties.

  5. #25
    Member Chuffney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Destroying celebrities is destroying humans. Many old Hollywood stars left Hollywood because they got tired of being trashed and taken advantage of. Is that what they owe us for being beautiful and entertaining us? I don't know, I think it extends so far past celebrities, into seeing people on the internet as not being people either, ergo social bullying , suicides, etc. ...we see this shit all the time now.


    People are nasty. They're just as nasty as they were during the Salem Witch trials. All I have to do is tune into YouTube to see how cool it is to call Marilyn Manson an advocate for mass murder, Eli Roth is advocating rape, Lana del Rey is a whore for daring to perform in a rape scene.

    I don't know, maybe people are the same ignorant assholes they've always been, I expect too much from them, and the rise of Marxism has made the peasants that much nastier, and the spread of ignorance more normative. It wasn't until about thirty I began understanding elitism in art though my ESFJ tried to shove it down my throat in my twenties.

    Those poor enlightened souls of the entertainment world constantly under attack from those horrible uneducated peasants. Why on earth should the majority be allowed to form their own opinions and express them freely?

    If, for every 10 people that know of me, 1 finds me incredibly distasteful, then that's alright. If 500 people know me then that's only 50 I have to avoid. As soon as you're exposed on media then the proportion stays the same but the gross numbers skyrocket. Now if 100,000,000 people know of me, I would have a whole million people who hate my guts; that could be a problem.

    Perhaps you're not expecting too much understanding from this faceless rabble of "people" you keep referencing, but you're expecting far too little personal integrity and self-assuredness from people in the entertainment industry.
    "Inspiring quote by" - Someone
    Likes chickpea liked this post

  6. #26
    noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH Mademoiselle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Umm.. this is another personal privacy issue.
    On the other hand people are free to have opinions.
    Having different opinions is meant to serve various ideas and should not be used to separation.
    I would explain it more if there’s anyone to hear it.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.
    Likes Yaru liked this post

  7. #27

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    There's a lot wrong with the world, but talking shit about celebrities is pretty low on my list of things to sort out.

    I mean, of course they're people, there's a lot of people I dislike heavily, and a lot of people I care so little about it hurts to breathe their name. Katy Perry is one such example.

    The public domain is the public domain though, as AffirmitiveAnxiety touched on, these people make their living by remaining in the public eye for as long as possible with whatever craft or skill they're proficient at. Criticism, dislike, and sometimes abuse (while often unjustified) are part of the lifestyle and part of the career. It's perfectly reasonable that someone should form an opinion of someone that they've been made aware of, directly involved or not, and if the opinion is contemptuous then that's fine, you don't have to agree with them.

    As far as 'fucking up humanity' goes, I'd rather address the celebrity personality culture that seems to zombify some people before I address idle gossip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    Those poor enlightened souls of the entertainment world constantly under attack from those horrible uneducated peasants. Why on earth should the majority be allowed to form their own opinions and express them freely?

    If, for every 10 people that know of me, 1 finds me incredibly distasteful, then that's alright. If 500 people know me then that's only 50 I have to avoid. As soon as you're exposed on media then the proportion stays the same but the gross numbers skyrocket. Now if 100,000,000 people know of me, I would have a whole million people who hate my guts; that could be a problem.

    Perhaps you're not expecting too much understanding from this faceless rabble of "people" you keep referencing, but you're expecting far too little personal integrity and self-assuredness from people in the entertainment industry.

    I'm talking about hater culture. It's a major past time to hate now, and not even hate people who are doing really important terrible things (like say political leaders or terrorists or that ilk) but to just mindlessly bash people because it's trendy and yeah I guess makes peasants feel they have some pathetic form of power? I am all for free speech, but what free speech means has been utterly warped into something kind of base, destructive and useless in Western culture in many cases.

    And I use the archaic word peasants to signify the general masses, because there has been am extreme breakdown in social order, and I am not saying that's all bad, it was in many ways necessary, but the extremity of the breakdown has created some zoo-like Roman coliseum of complete lack of standards of any kind of human decency (one of the symptoms of any failing empire in history)...I'm not talking about saying "I hate this music" or criticizing the influence on teens or something, I am talking about blatant irrational hatred, just ignorant "hater" behavior that's kind of an elevated form of the behavior school children bully one another with.

    I think it's related to phenomenon like mass hysteria and mobs and stampedes and "never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. " People who would be kind decent human beings individually are often capable of horror when egged on by a crowd, so to speak.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I don't know why people find that so funny, Britney Spears, like Amanda Bynes, is a mentally ill former child star. It says a lot about how primitive and uneducated the general public is that adults think it's awesome to mock mental illness. If people did the same thing about cancer, or some lovable old coot like Robin Williams, you would never hear the end of it. I am amazed at how little some supposedly intelligent people actually reflect on these things.

    I think it's a form of misogynistic behavior as well, mocking a "hysterical" pretty young woman, especially if she's openly sexual in any way

Similar Threads

  1. Who are your Top Ten Favorite Fictional People
    By ladypinkington in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 06:29 AM
  2. [ENFP] Why am I nice to people who are not nice to me?
    By alcea rosea in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM
  3. Why are people always stuck on one dichotomy?
    By Ezra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 02:12 AM
  4. Most people are 'vertically ill'
    By xNFJiminy in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO