User Tag List

First 123 Last

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

I agree with you but NTs are people as well and it seems like you're putting them in a box a little. There is a reason there are so many of them on the internet. People think about the world in different ways and they want to be around like-minded folks, it's only natural. Maybe if we all stop showing so much disdain for people who think differently than us the world would be a better place...unfortunately the best way to make this happen is to show that you support that with your actions.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Let me explain something about myself to those who may not understand, but I have earned a living from being on stage, and even in brief instances filmed and photographed, so I get REALLY FREAKED OUT when people are excessively mean about famous people. I don't think I see what you see when I look at actors and musicians, because my dad was a musician, I have worked as an adult entertainer, and now that I've done yoga in the same class as people who have been on television or in Hollywood films, it really upsets me when people talk shit about other human beings they don't know who happen to be famous. I know our society is like that, but seriously if some of you guys are so fucking awesome and smart and intellectual, how is it that you wouldn't have the EQ to realize that Amanda Bynes and Katy Perry are people, and so am I for that matter. It totally freaks me out when people expect me to be kind to them after they've been systematically tearing down another human being.

Can you discuss the way it's sick and wrong to divide some human beings into real and not real? Do you personally get that all people are real, whether they live in your neighborhood or are on typology central or are on tv? Do you guys get how doing this to humans is fucking up humanity and how seeing people are people could potentially help us?

Possibly not because I'm sure some of you think I am inappropriate. But the hilarious part is that I see a lot of socially acceptable behavior as inappropriate.
    We live in the Attention Economy and those who garner the most attention, win.

And we pay the most attention to celebrities and very little attention to one another. So naturally we envy celebrities who get far more attention than anyone else.

And in our envy we seek to bring the celebrities down to our level.
    Likes PocketFullOf, Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

so why should it beeee

you and i should get along so aw-ful-ly
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I'm an adult entertainer
    I'm not an adult. You are harrassing me.
    Likes Jaguar, chickpea liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

To play devil's advocate...what about comedians? They make fun of other celebrities all the time?

Should we muffle the voice of the inner comedian in order to be more fair?

I don't know the answer. I'm just posing the question to further the discussion. My opinion is still unformed. Maybe someone can convince me of a certain normative core.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Odd.

To address the thread topic, people lose empathy when they aren't forced to confront people face to face. Like, I sometimes don't think people in cars see pedestrians as more than traffic cones. Dangerous, expensive traffic cones.

As far as celebrities go, yeah, we're commodifying and consuming their lives to an unprecedented extent. It is uncomfortable to think about for sure but I don't think it's inherently defective or wrong. A lot of the same celebrities also package their lives for consumption. Actually, I don't know.

Anyway, if you wouldn't say something equally nasty to someone in your own life or treat their fortunes and misfortunes as some kind of carnival attraction, it's kind of fucked to do it to someone else. It's just that when you know you can't be seen and will never face consequences for that kind of behavior, that is really all it takes to start behaving really badly.

Kind of like those Milgram experiments. The people who couldn't hear the "victim" screaming in the other room were far more comfortable amping up the electric shocks to crazy levels without question.

I don't think having an opinion about a celebrity or even judging their behavior negatively is a problem as everyone filters what they see through their values and cognitive lenses. Gratuitous cruelty, though? Yeah, that's a problem.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Video, Thalassa liked this post

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    To play devil's advocate...what about comedians? They make fun of other celebrities all the time?

Should we muffle the voice of the inner comedian in order to be more fair?

I don't know the answer. I'm just posing the question to further the discussion. My opinion is still unformed. Maybe someone can convince me of a certain normative core.
    No.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

The impression I am getting from this topic is that it's purpose is to express your feelings. Fine. It doesn't come across that way though. It comes across as "I'm sensitive and you're all stupid idiots for being mean, so I am going attempt to make you feel bad! You better feel bad cause I'm better than you!". Again, you didn't intend it, but that's sure as hell as how it comes across, and it can and does make people dig their heels in, ignore what you're trying to say, and write off what you're thinking/feeling as invalid. It ends up being counterproductive to what you want, and ultimately makes things worse (if you posted something like this on reddit or a similar forum you'd get chewed up and spit out with no remorse at all).

With that said, people are not perfect, pure, or always good. The populous at large will always be mean to those in the spotlight for so many reasons it would be unreasonable to list them all. Even if they are as good as good can be there will always be a loud minority that seeks to undermine what they're doing, with the intent of hurting them. It is unfortunate human nature and there is little we can do about it except for making intent to be good ourselves. I actually get rather upset as well when celebreties are not taken seriously or are made fun of in a malicious way. It's cruel, unfair, and unjustified. The only time I advocate such behavior is when the individual in question has done something that warrants such a response. I.E. committing a violent crime.

But yelling at a group (in this case us) with vitrol is actually doing the same thing that you're getting upset with in the first place. It's that classic "eye for an eye" and it does not work to solve problem. Much more so when you're trying to address a group on something nebulous like this and when you're trying to divine the intent of someone with the comments they make.

Possibly not because I'm sure some of you think I am inappropriate. But the hilarious part is that I see a lot of socially acceptable behavior as inappropriate.
    Some people will, some people won't. But this statement is a big problem. What is considered socially acceptable and not is never going to be 100% agreed upon. No one really is the arbiter of what is considered right and wrong in these matters in a broad sense. The only thing that really governs socially acceptable is the hivemind of who is involved. It gets tricky when the hivemind is wrong (it of course happens). The best we can do is operate under the value that we should seek the best for everyone around us.

We have to all balance between fitting in with what we see personally as appropriate vs. not, and what the world sees as appropriate vs. not. The best way to get through life is to stick to our own values as much as possible, but adhering to the worlds when our own would create undo and unfair conflict.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes prplchknz, PocketFullOf liked this post

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Related:

it's hard to see people equally, but i think it's an important challenge. it seems that many disagree, but here's a pretty thought-provoking self-exam.

Do You Think These People Were Created Equal After Seeing These Photos?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes Video, Thalassa liked this post