User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Beer

Default Beer

What makes it so great that people buy a pack once a week (or something)? Can you really "taste" the difference between one or the other? Or is it like a bunch of other items like clothing, the image one presumes when you drink a certain brand. Is it a cheap way to get "wasted".... or whatever the term.

When I was little, I took a can of Budweiser thinking it was soda. The image still lingers even though I rarely drink beer (like right now or special occasions,) it has this distinct taste that all common beer brands have (Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, Tsingtao, Asahi, Kirin, Sapparo.... of the ones that I have ever tried) Funny enough, that first sip was enough to tell me that it tasted NASTY.

I asked another person, if he drinks beer, and was basically told the above, most beer tastes the same, no matter the brand, it is mostly the image a beer brand exudes that people will buy it (the difference between a person who drinks Budweiser or Heineken.....) Basically, one buys the label.

So why does one (you) drink beer?

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

"I don't like beer therefore its all the same, my friend who drinks beer agrees with me so it must be true."

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    INFJ

beer is good

and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    When I was little, I took a can of Budweiser thinking it was soda. The image still lingers even though I rarely drink beer (like right now or special occasions,) it has this distinct taste that all common beer brands have (Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, Tsingtao, Asahi, Kirin, Sapparo.... of the ones that I have ever tried) Funny enough, that first sip was enough to tell me that it tasted NASTY.

I asked another person, if he drinks beer, and was basically told the above, most beer tastes the same, no matter the brand
    All of the beers you mentioned are of the same style so yes, they do taste very similar. They're all pale lagers. There are many other styles of beer.

This is a different style of beer called a stout (ale):

It tastes nothing like a pale lager.

What you're saying is akin to "I've tried a few different chardonnays and didn't like them, why do you people even drink wine?" There are many different styles of beer, just as there are many different styles of wine or blends of coffee. If you don't like pale lager (I happen to dislike pale lagers) try something else. Broaden your palate before writing off beer.
    Likes Luv Deluxe, PocketFullOf, BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    All of the beers you mentioned are of the same style so yes, they do taste very similar. They're all pale lagers. There are many other styles of beer.

This is a different style of beer called a stout (ale):
    It tastes nothing like a pale lager.

What you're saying is akin to "I've tried a few different chardonnays and didn't like them, why do you people even drink wine?" There are many different styles of beer, just as there are many different styles of wine or blends of coffee. If you don't like pale lager (I happen to dislike pale lagers) try something else. Broaden your palate before writing off beer.
    Ohhhhhhhh, interesting, I might try it sometime. Is there a brand that I should try?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I like the taste of beer. I only drink a little bit at a time, mainly for the flavor of it. Sometimes, rarely, my brain will feel electrified from a long writing session or from life stimulation, and in those times I would like to have a beer to help it relax. Alcohol comes from God and is made to be enjoyed in small quantities.

I prefer dark brews, but do not know all the different kinds.

I am planning to get some honey mead? for my boyz and I to have for Thanksgiving. I know someone who makes it around here. I don't think I've ever had it before...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't like beer and there is definite differences in taste. For me, that taste ranges from "tolerable" to "disgusting".

But replace beer with another subject I'm comfortable with: Water. And the game changes.

Flavored water, sparkling water, acqua panna, spring water, well water, tap water, bottle water, distilled.. They ALL have different flavors to me. And that's a subject most people tend to pawn off as 'flavorless'. To me there is a HUGE difference between city tap water and the water I drank straight from a spring from the grand canyon itself.

So if something without flavor (like water) can have such a wide range of flavors.. then beer I think, which has all those potential waters in it, can definitely have a huge spectrum of tastes. Of course it will have a similar flavor--carbonation of some sort, hops.. but from there it's allllll endless.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I am planning to get some honey mead? for my boyz and I to have for Thanksgiving. I know someone who makes it around here. I don't think I've ever had it before...
    I used to sell the stuff. It's more of a wine.. fermented honey. If you're not a fan of how dry wine can be, mead is a great sweet dessert-like beverage. I'd liken it to a lighter port.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    What you're saying is akin to "I've tried a few different chardonnays and didn't like them, why do you people even drink wine?"
    More like: "I tried some cheap box wine that was stored in a hot garage and it sucked so wine sucks."
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I used to sell the stuff. It's more of a wine.. fermented honey. If you're not a fan of how dry wine can be, mead is a great sweet dessert-like beverage. I'd liken it to a lighter port.
    Hmm. It's hard for me to imagine honey fermenting...

do you mean added to a fermenting grain?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com