User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Beer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    What makes it so great that people buy a pack once a week (or something)? Can you really "taste" the difference between one or the other? Or is it like a bunch of other items like clothing, the image one presumes when you drink a certain brand. Is it a cheap way to get "wasted".... or whatever the term.
    Pretty much this, at least for me......its also a relatively safe way to get wasted, in that its weaker than other drinks, making it easier to pace yourself (perfect for horror movie marathons) and its fairly difficult to drink a dangerous amount of it. Its also easier on the stomach than stronger drinks.

I hated beer at first, but because of the above factors I eventually developed a taste for it. That said, they only ever tasted the same in the sense that all colas share a similar taste.....there are differences, but I never drank beer for the taste, so I never developed a favorite.

Taste-wise, I much prefer coconut rum and coke, Kahlua, and the like (be advised that mixing alcohol with lots of caffeine can lead you to underestimate how intoxicated you are, and mixing liquor with coke can be tough on the stomach).

I tried some IPA(?) beer, and... well, there IS a slight noticeable difference.

More... bitterness? lol

It's not too bad.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I don't drink much beer anymore but this stuff is good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I tried some IPA(?) beer, and... well, there IS a slight noticeable difference.

More... bitterness? lol

It's not too bad.
    India pale ales are characterized by having been made with more hops than other ales. Hops (a plant closely related to cannabis, and one of the four basic ingredients of beer) tastes bitter. IPAs therefore taste more bitter than other varieties of beer.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    India pale ales are characterized by having been made with more hops than other ales. Hops (a plant closely related to cannabis, and one of the four basic ingredients of beer) tastes bitter. IPAs therefore taste more bitter than other varieties of beer.
    Yeah, that's why I generally don't like pale ales. I don't care for that bitter, hoppy taste. I prefer darker beers, like stouts and porters, and even some brown ales. Newcastle is a good brown that's not too hoppy. Hefeweizen is good, too.
    Likes Video liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Yeah, that's why I generally don't like pale ales. I don't care for that bitter, hoppy taste. I prefer darker beers, like stouts and porters, and even some brown ales. Newcastle is a good brown that's not too hoppy. Hefeweizen is good, too.
    I don't prefer pale ales, but I'll drink them. Personally I think a lot of American pale ales, particularly from out west, are too bitter and taste pretty gross. There seems to be a war between brewers to see who can make the hoppiest, most bitter beer possible and I have no idea why because the end product isn't very appetizing to me.

I like wheat/white beers, including hefeweizens, for their citrus flavours. I like stouts and porters too, but some taste a little too close to coffee for my liking (I don't like coffee).

If you don't like bitters and want to try something completely different, try a Flemish red ale (a.k.a. Belgian sour ale) like Rodenbach:

Rather than being fermented solely with yeast (which converts the sugars in the wort to carbon dioxide and alcohol) it's also fermented with lactobacillus bacteria, which converts the sugars in the wort to lactic acid. As a result the beer is sour rather than bitter; it tastes nothing like any other variety of beer.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't prefer pale ales, but I'll drink them. Personally I think a lot of American pale ales, particularly from out west, are too bitter and taste pretty gross. There seems to be a war between brewers to see who can make the hoppiest, most bitter beer possible and I have no idea why because the end product isn't very appetizing to me.

I like wheat/white beers, including hefeweizens, for their citrus flavours. I like stouts and porters too, but some taste a little too close to coffee for my liking (I don't like coffee).

If you don't like bitters and want to try something completely different, try a Flemish red ale (a.k.a. Belgian sour ale) like Rodenbach:

Rather than being fermented solely with yeast (which converts the sugars in the wort to carbon dioxide and alcohol) it's also fermented with lactobacillus bacteria, which converts the sugars in the wort to lactic acid. As a result the beer is sour rather than bitter; it tastes nothing like any other variety of beer.
    I actually don't mind the bitterness now, strangely enough. I started drinking at a gathering and wanted to try the Sierra Nevada IPA since it was there and it was my only chance to try it (there was only like a dozen of them.)

Either I've gotten used to the bitterness, or I am starting to like beer, or at least the slightly bitter kind.