User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    More like: "I tried some cheap box wine that was stored in a hot garage and it sucked so wine sucks."
    I was trying to be generous.

As much as I don't care for the average pale lager they're still extraordinarily complex and are significantly more difficult to make than your average ale. The fact that, say, Budweiser by Anheuser-Busch tastes pretty much exactly the same wherever you go and wherever it's made is very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Ohhhhhhhh, interesting, I might try it sometime. Is there a brand that I should try?
    The easiest one you could find is probably Guinness. It's a little generic but it will give you an idea of how a pale lager tastes vs. a stout. You'll find Guinness has hints of coffee and chocolate in it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Beer is not as monolithic as it used to be, the craft beer scene is exploding and many people now make their own beer at home. It isn't as laborious as making wine for example, and completely legit pretty much everywhere as long as you aren't trying to sell your brew.

I am officially starting home brewing tomorrow, my first batch will be a hefeweizen. All extract because that is easier but I hope to move up to partial mash (using specialty grains) with my next brew so I can customize it more. We'll see.
    Likes Video liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Ohhhhhhhh, interesting, I might try it sometime. Is there a brand that I should try?
    Try Guinness Stout. It tastes (to me) like bitter motor oil.
    ...but it's good.

Or, if you can find it, Mississippi Mudd. It's a black and tan (blended pilsener / stout).

...or for a truly odd experience, see if you can find Cave Creek Chili beer. It has a chili pepper in the bottom of each bottle, and the hot oils from the pepper
    leach into the beer, so you need a *regular* beer chaser after every sip of this. Twice as nice...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

If RT has been drinking Budweizer but wants to expand, going into something radical is likely to put him off. Stouts are for those of stout heart (or better put, taste buds).

A good place to start is IBUs (international bitterness units), which basically measure how hoppy a beer is. He should try beer styles with a similar IBU - say, within 10 - of Budweizer (which has an IBU of 7, very low).

Here's the chart:

As usual, American fare is especially sugary...even the beer...

^

C'mon @Rail Tracer, you know you want it...
    Likes corpseparty, senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    This is a different style of beer called a stout (ale):
    Now THIS is beer. I don't touch lagers, or most beers that I can see through.

Guinness is one of the most well-known. There is also Sam Adams cream stout, though that is a bit too smooth/sweet, plus lots of others. I even ran across one called Old Rasputin imperial stout. Porters are good dark beers as well. One of my favorites is Anchor porter.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Oh, and I've made mead in the past, everywhere between sweet and dry and crisp. I prefer dry/crisp meads.
    Would you be willing to share your recipe?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

"There is also Sam Adams cream stout, though that is a bit too smooth/sweet, plus lots of others."

"everywhere between sweet and dry and crisp. I prefer dry/crisp meads."

One day I'll be a real adult and like dry stuff too.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Hardly anyone I know actually liked the taste of beer when they first drank one, including myself. A good way to gauge the quality of a lager is how warm it can get before you have to sneak off to quietly pour it away and get a fresh one.

Personally, I drink Peroni, Leffe, and Asahi.
    "Inspiring quote by" - Someone

MBTI
    INTP

i want to try ale sometime, I've only ever drank lagers.

Your bog standard commercial lagers get stale after a while (no pun intended).
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....