User Tag List

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default why does this annoy me?

A few months ago I Was talking to someone about the difference between different types of music and how there are similarities between bordering countries and their music and wondered if maybe tracing cultural music and it's transformation over time would be useful for historical accuracy reasons.

They said that all music before technology was mostly the same because technology radically changed music and that's why they all sound so similar anyways and kind of brushed it aside. At the time I thought that was a great idea actually.

But now I'm realizing it was a misinformed idea. Traditional folk music is not all the same. It's a matter of resolution and context.

It's really aggravating me and I kind of feel like calling the person and telling them the negatives of their idea about technology. I could be wrong of course, and I have self-control but is this an example of ocd? I can't stop thinking about it.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Seems like a rather trivial thing to be upset about. I'm not trying to belittle your feelings on this, but in the grand scheme of things going out of your way to bring this up to your friend is very likely going to come across not as intended (and likely with poor response). It might be a good idea to focus on other areas/projects/etc. to help take your mind off it.

With that said it is still interesting to consider. I live in the US, but around 75% of the music I listen to is european. It sort of just happened that way (I did not set out with the intent of doing that). There definitely is cultural differences in different parts of the world that leads to different styles of music being more or less popular. I'm drawn in particular to a lot of scandinavian electronic music. Within those countries there is a particular "sound" that they produce that resonates with me. Seeing this sort of pattern elsewhere in the world is actually fairly easy for anyone to identify. The challenging part is figuring out where it comes from, what is the reason for it? I suspect it is a huge lump of cultural reasons that would truly be impossible to tease apart. It might simply be a question that has no good answer.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Seems like a rather trivial thing to be upset about. I'm not trying to belittle your feelings on this, but in the grand scheme of things going out of your way to bring this up to your friend is very likely going to come across not as intended (and likely with poor response). It might be a good idea to focus on other areas/projects/etc. to help take your mind off it.

With that said it is still interesting to consider. I live in the US, but around 75% of the music I listen to is european. It sort of just happened that way (I did not set out with the intent of doing that). There definitely is cultural differences in different parts of the world that leads to different styles of music being more or less popular. I'm drawn in particular to a lot of scandinavian electronic music. Within those countries there is a particular "sound" that they produce that resonates with me. Seeing this sort of pattern elsewhere in the world is actually fairly easy for anyone to identify. The challenging part is figuring out where it comes from, what is the reason for it? I suspect it is a huge lump of cultural reasons that would truly be impossible to tease apart. It might simply be a question that has no good answer.
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense actually. Are you the one in your group of friends that people come to for guidance?

edit: after I read your response I wondered why it helped. It's because we shared curiosity. I guess I need to find more people who are interested in the same thing and have bright inquisitive minds with regards to these sorts of things - music and what not. I would type more too on this but my hand hurts from writing today ...I'm going to internet detox for a while.

Thanks again Hard!
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Why is it weird to have strong interests and opinions? It's a subject you're interested in and that you're piqued that an idea you're proud of was shot down with little thought or consideration. It would be weird if you didn't care. I would probably keep thinking about it, too, until something more interesting came up, anyway. I think it's ridiculous to call that OCD. There's no need to pathologize every passion or strong feeling.

I also don't think there's anything so bad about wanting to resume the conversation either. You don't have to be a dick about it, just say you've been thinking about what he said and here's some more evidence that supports your point of view. If he agrees to play ball and keep talking, then fine, if not, work on it yourself, I guess.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense actually. Are you the one in your group of friends that people come to for guidance?

edit: after I read your response I wondered why it helped. It's because we shared curiosity. I guess I need to find more people who are interested in the same thing and have bright inquisitive minds with regards to these sorts of things - music and what not. I would type more too on this but my hand hurts from writing today ...I'm going to internet detox for a while.

Thanks again Hard!
    Sorta. I used to be the go to person for support in all of my friendship circles years ago. That has been steadily decreasing as time goes on. I used to have a much "gentler" aura due to lack of self confidance, so as I grew stronger in my footing, people didn't see me as the first person to seek to confide to. Though, when people do they often stick with it for a long long time. I'm fairly selective with how I do it as well because of past experience.

I would say that's a good line of reasoning. Finding like minded people is really important. I mean, discussing shared interests is one of the primary ways that people forge friendships and get to know each other. Of course there are other methods, but I'd argue it's one of the biggest ones there is. Second would be mutually working/doing shared interests.

And NP .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFJ

Whoa.. The person you were talking with is not only ignorant but culturally insensitive/completely unaware..

Based on your intuition I'm betting somewhere deep inside.. You literally just want to call bullshit on them for shutting down your notion.. Which is actually extremely accurate. Music is like that a wave that ripples out traveling like things do... And becoming changed
    We are more than the sum of our parts.

MBTI
    INTJ

Isn't the introduction of modernization, the ability to travel so easily, and access to the Internet more likely to homogenize Music ?