User Tag List

First 12

The most popular threads usually show interest in other members. People rarely find anything as fascinating as themselves.

I, personally, think I'm the tits and thinking about myself provides me hours of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    If you have had success creating threads, give me whatever you have for me.
    We live in the Attention Economy and those who garner the most attention, win.

And the winners in our Attention Economy are our Celebrities, for our Celebrities garner the most attention. Some say Celebrities, like the Robber Barons of the 19th century, rob us of attention. But whatever, we pay attention to our Celebrities.

So at the bottom of the Attention pile we scrable among the scraps. We compete amongst ourselves for the little attention left over. And we dream of being Celebrities and so rich in attention, we no longer have to compete.

So in the Attention economy we pay attention, we pay in attention. And who do we pay? We certainly don't pay one another - we pay our Celebrities and wonder why no one pays us attention.

We are impoverished because we give away our attention to Celebrities, and in our poverty we fight one another for attention.
    Likes BlackDog, senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We live in the Attention Economy and those who garner the most attention, win.

And the winners in our Attention Economy are our Celebrities, for our Celebrities garner the most attention. Some say Celebrities, like the Robber Barons of the 19th century, rob us of attention. But whatever, we pay attention to our Celebrities.

So at the bottom of the Attention pile we scrable among the scraps. We compete amongst ourselves for the little attention left over. And we dream of being Celebrities and so rich in attention, we no longer have to compete.

So in the Attention economy we pay attention, we pay in attention. And who do we pay? We certainly don't pay one another - we pay our Celebrities and wonder why no one pays us attention.

We are impoverished because we give away our attention to Celebrities, and in our poverty we fight one another for attention.
    Mole, you are an international treasure. No one else posts in a style that is a combo of Late Seventeenth century England and the Orient! This is why TypologyCentral beats PerC hands down; TypoC has individuals, and PerC has mass appeal.

This thread was entirely tongue-in-cheek; nevertheless it was worth it for just this post!

Mole, you are an international treasure. No one else posts in a style that is a combo of Late Seventeenth century England and the Orient! This is why TypologyCentral beats PerC hands down; TypoC has individuals, and PerC has mass appeal.

This thread was entirely tongue-in-cheek; nevertheless it was worth it for just this post!
    Thank you dear Lion for the compliment.

However Oz was formed by the One Hundred Year Aristocratic Peace in England from the late Seventeenth Century to our first settlement in the late Eighteenth Century, so I can claim no credit for myself, I owe it to my heritage.

And I hardly need point out to you that Oz is in the Oriental hemisphere, so I can take no credit for that.

And rather than being tongue in cheek, I am writing literally.

@Mole

What are your opinions on the moral economy of Typology Central? Can it coexist with the attention economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    @Mole

What are your opinions on the moral economy of Typology Central? Can it coexist with the attention economy?
    We have the opportunity to learn to listen to one another.

In fact Typology Central is a suitable venue for empathy training.

All we need is for some members to undertake a course in empathy practice.

Empathy practice is like piano practice - we do scales at first, that at first seem tedious, but after a while we start to 'get it' and then we can move onto more sophisticated practice.

It does though require some humility to start at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We have the opportunity to learn to listen to one another.

In fact Typology Central is a suitable venue for empathy training.

All we need is for some members to undertake a course in empathy practice.

Empathy practice is like piano practice - we do scales at first, that at first seem tedious, but after a while we start to 'get it' and then we can move onto more sophisticated practice.

It does though require some humility to start at the beginning.
    Yes, learning to give rather than to seek attention is truly an important part of building empathy, though it is difficult and tiresome to shed excessive self-regard at first. Thank you for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Yes, learning to give rather than to seek attention is truly an important part of building empathy, though it is difficult and tiresome to shed excessive self-regard at first. Thank you for your answer.
    I forgot to mention that empathy training is also reciprocal. So not only do we learn to empathise, we learn to be empathised with.

So we practise turn and turn about, first one talks and the other listens, then the other talks, and we listen. We find following some simple rules, we improve with practice and deepen.

Reciprocity is important for equality.
    Likes senza tema, BlackDog liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

If you want a popular thread just create it on a currently 'hot' topic, (gender issues of some form is always a good one), and in the OP express harsh and extremely defined opinions as fact.

If it doesn't get past 30 pages by 3 hours, then your op clearly wasn't black & white enough.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Retired

For those who succeed in starting very popular threads out there consistently: How did you do it? Do you see a pattern of any kind? Tips for improving discourse or just flooding the site with well-constructed threads on relevant and thoughtful topics?

I haven't started a lot of successful threads, and I can tell you why.

1. Most of my topics are fairly bland.

2. My writing style is not particularly engaging.

3. I don't put too much thought into creating threads.

4. I put little outside research into them.

5. Often I'm not that interested in what I have to say.

Although you can't really correlate writing to functions, I'm going to go ahead and do it, and say that most of my threads are just Ti. Sometimes I throw a little generic Fe in there for grease (like in this one, one of my better jobs if I do say so myself), but generally there just isn't much there in terms of either style or substance.

My own theory is that the best threads either touch on an issue important to lots of people (Fi connection) or they have relevant information (Te research). Preferably both.

If you haven't had much success creating threads either, pitch in your ideas on why it hasn't worked. Give me a list of five things you do badly.

If you have had success creating threads, give me whatever you have for me.

a true king shoulders the weight of hatred his people have for him.

for the brighter the flame of popularity, the deeper the shadow of resentment it casts.

c:
    Likes senza tema liked this post