12 Last

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Socializing and Online socializing

How do you differentiate Online socializing from Socializing?

Here I can easily ignore Jack and Jill or what they say. But its rather hard in real life. Apart from that, is there any difference in quality? There I am responsible for the action of the person Bufo, here I am responsible for the screen name Bufo.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Before I continue, will you please define 'quality'?

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Before I continue, will you please define 'quality'?
    A pen and a pencil. When I am concerned with writing only, either of them serves the same purpose. Thus they are same in quality.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Then there is a huge difference in quality. I'm no good with the tl;dr, so I'll let someone else explain...

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

In real life its less confusing. People don't change their avatars all the time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

More anonymity, more distance from the person you're talking to. Result is that you can be more yourself if you want, or you can be someone else, if you want. There's a tendency to get used to that protection which makes interacting in person (with those same people, even) more challenging and unfamiliar.

Online, body language is completely absent, so there is more susceptibility to misinterpretation. Likewise, physical comedy is somewhat limited too. You can try to imitate and pretend things are actually happening, but they're not.

Status is measured differently than it is in real life. While I think people look for the same things, they need to find it in other ways. Things like social networks are assessed through post count, join dates, etc. In real life, we look at how social a person is by who they're in contact with and how they meet new people. There's a lot more than I can write about this, but I'm too lazy.

Uniqueness becomes an interesting issue online, too. In real life, people make themselves unique through all sorts of things that mean nothing online: unique possessions and clothing are a big one. Here, avatars and signatures substitute for clothing. Unique interests and experiences are emphasized (and do transfer).

MBTI
    INFP

When chatting online, people are half-imaginary because they are disembodied essences. We must guess at what they are like based on the ideas they express and the words they choose to express them. In real life, there are both negative and positive issues that arise from physical presence, such as the ability to use the body to hug or comfort another person, providing a loving connection of energies (positive), the ability to use the body for visually or auditorily expressive purposes (neutral), and the ability to view the body in a materialistic way, objectifying a person through superficiality (always negative). Online, there is less fear involved in the interaction process. There is less risk because there is no physical threat. If a person gets angry, there is no intense auditory experience to transmit the negativity as fully as would be possible in real life, and there is no potential for physical violence. If someone becomes verbally abusive, the victim can easily leave the situation without any negative consequences. A person can be emotionally affected by something without having to worry about being judged for it, because there is the option of being selectively expressive, limiting how much one reveals to the other person about the personal impact of a situation. One negative aspect of chatting online (at least for the non-manipulative who value trust) is that it is easier to be dishonest than in real life. A person can present whatever he or she pleases. This makes it difficult to trust anyone that a person has met only online, and can prevent depth of connection. Chatting online also removes some of the responsibilty that a person may feel for how he or she interacts, so it may be easier to become tactless and brutal simply because the consequences of outspokenness are not as great. The other side of this is that the freedom from some forms of social consequences can make chatting online ideal for introverts who would otherwise have difficulty feeling comfortable being boldly expressive around others. I am capable of chatting online more easily than I can interact in real life because I find that physical bodies are more often obstacles to successful interactions than beneficial tools for promoting connection.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Then there is a huge difference in quality. I'm no good with the tl;dr, so I'll let someone else explain...
    This is awesome. I think I'll adopt it. Thanks.

But yes, the quality is different.
    Thanks, Snail, for the tl;dr.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    This is awesome. I think I'll adopt it. Thanks.

But yes, the quality is different.
    Thanks, Snail, for the tl;dr.
    Hehehe, thanks.

MBTI
    INxJ

Depends on the individual's tastes. Some people really need to see body language etc. I like both. Though, online has the advantage of control.