User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Depends on the individual's tastes. Some people really need to see body language etc. I like both. Though, online has the advantage of control.
    I disagree absolutely.

In person I feel far more in control of a conversation.

Online everyone has the ability to simply retreat, urgh.

Also the pacing of a conversation is totally demolished by online interaction.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Online everyone has the ability to simply retreat, urgh.
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. You don't have to engage. It's always your choice and you get to avoid the awkward segue for not wanting to communicate.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Let me fix this: "Also the pacing of a conversation is totally demolished improved by online interaction."

It often takes me upwards of thirty seconds to think of the perfect thing to say. IRL, these things are lost forever. Because there, wit is a five second game.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Depends on the individual's tastes. Some people really need to see body language etc. I like both. Though, online has the advantage of control.
    I know I much prefer seeing someone in person. Body language, unspoken gestures, touch, smell - I have to have those to understand what's going on. It's all nuances.

MBTI
    GONE

^^ 100 times yes!

Even though I'm a super nerd and the interwebz is my 'hood, I have always hated online communication. Seems ironic, right? You can meet all these people and see what they have to say and people window shop -- which is like crack candy for an ENFP -- but you can't really interact with them.

The wall of text to me was so foreign, and people often type very differently from how they speak. And text alone is so easily misinterpreted unless you really know the person and can imagine how they are saying something.

Sometimes text is nice as a supplement in communicating with people you know. The way letters used to be this beautiful way to get to know someone without all the hangups and interruptions of well...the other person?

Text is like throwing a message in a bottle, or sharing parts of you that otherwise brief interactions (or even long) can't really instigate or capture as well.

Having said all that, yes, I much prefer seeing people in person. Next is text. Then phone. Strange right? The disembodied real time voices is just too unsatisfying. I'd rather be talking to someone in person and experiencing them or else cut out all the distractions and just text them. Phone is kinda half way for me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^ 100 times yes!

Even though I'm a super nerd and the interwebz is my 'hood, I have always hated online communication. Seems ironic, right? You can meet all these people and see what they have to say and people window shop -- which is like crack candy for an ENFP -- but you can't really interact with them.

And you just can't replace the expressions on another person's face while talking. I can't even chat online comfortably with people unless I know what they look like. Otherwise, it makes the person seem even less real to me.