User Tag List

First 456

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I didn't think we were discussing practicality in this thread, but rather what is. There really isn't a thing that can be done, except maybe not respond to the person at all. I thought this thread was defining what a troll is. not what a troll is and how to snare it aka ban it.
    Actually, my intent was to simply discuss it in general.

Based on the responses thus far, I have come to the following conclusions:

I think you @prplchknzare right in that some people do intentionally poke, deliberately set out to hurt others, and in that case, they, too, are trolls, BUT I also think that @Coriolis has made a very valid point. Sometimes it's hard to tell when a poke is accidental or intentional. I think there are some people who know how to poke just enough to illicit a response, but not enough to get called out. I also think that regular people can troll the troll by not engaging and taking the wind out of the troll's sails so to speak.

I think that people who get their feelings hurt are not necessarily trolls. People with strong opinions are not necessarily trolls but people who deliberately lure others to cross their bridge or take the bait...who lay in wait with intent to harm...they're trolls.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are you interested in being able to recognize an actual troll online, and tell the difference between a troll and someone whose remarks are stirring things up unintentionally? I suppose it didn't occur to me that the OP meant for a purely academic discussion, but that it quite possible.

hmm not sure, ask, perhaps? I was just discussing it from a purely academic observational standpoint. and I thought you were as well. but once that got clarified that you weren't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Thank you. I would be a clown except for being a clown means you have to be a clown. Instead, I opt not to be a clown. Clowns are scary in so many ways.

Some trolls are clowns, I bet. (kicks some rocks)

Trying to describe my dislike of purposelessly wondering through shopping malls in another thread, I thought of Killer Clown Puppet Masters....and the Junk Lady. I'm not afraid of clowns, but they can be creepy. (No wonder kids have nightmares)
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are you interested in being able to recognize an actual troll online, and tell the difference between a troll and someone whose remarks are stirring things up unintentionally? I suppose it didn't occur to me that the OP meant for a purely academic discussion, but that it quite possible.

Nice grapnel.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think trolling contextual like bullying. It's hard to tell if someone is trolling but sometimes what seems like trolling isn't and what doesn't is definitely trolling. I guess on a message board it depends on the nature of the thread vs. the intent of the poster and relation to other posters.

How objective they are - willing to see their own negative and positives in any case or scenario, could be a sign of sincerity.

Someone in a debate who responds with snide remarks that are incredibly rude could be considered trolling like calling you an "idiot." Things that are insidious like racist remarks or certain key words, not swears necessarily, but language that overlaps bullying.

For example, if someone thinks what they are saying is kind of rude apologizing in advance might show some sincerity in case they are unsure but if someone just starts calling you an idiot for no reason and then questioning your personal stuff or personally attacking you when the nature of the thread is impersonal, that would be a form of targeting and trolling in my opinion that isn't really funny but borders on sadistic because the point of the questions seem to be irrelevant to the issue in an impersonal way.

for example talking about boats and debating what boat is better than the other may result in a conflict. If person A says, "I think this..." and then person b is like, "Well I don't think you should be talking about boats, I think you should just give up because you suck at boat debates. Come to think of it do you even realize how dumb your arguments are..."...etc...etc..see person B is really personal in nature...he's trying to elicit a sort of emotional response or dissonance.

Person B could just as well of said: "Dude, are you sure you know about boats? I've been working with boats for five years and according to this source and that source you might be wrong." but instead he's trying to make a spectacle of the other person.

Usually person B doesn't know what they are talking about in the first place though...just my two cents. Usually when people know what they are talking about they don't have to resort to that sort of petty argumentation.

And another thing I notice too is when most people debate they are just really chatting but a troll might come a long and turn the chat or loose discourse into a sort of evangelical debate where who ever is wrong has to be shamed.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

really quick though: i'm not the best person to answer this . I have trouble telling if people are making fun of me in real life and sometimes I get trolled and don't even realize it.
    But I notice when I'm looking at P4P boxing lists on forums I separate the trolls and the genuine like this.

A normal person will say something like: "I think it's ***** crazy you guys think X is better than Y" He might swear but he's expressing an impersonal sentiment regarding a general opinion.

A troll will say something to this affect: "Are you a ***** ******. Get off of X."

One makes it an issue of disagreeing with the opinion and one disagrees or not but has to throw in a snyde remark about a single user. Trolls will target a single user and then take advantage of mob mentality whereby other trolls will join in.

Hence, "don't throw water on the trolls or they grow and multiply."
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    A normal person will say something like: "I think it's ***** crazy you guys think X is better than Y" He might swear but he's expressing an impersonal sentiment regarding a general opinion.

A troll will say something to this affect: "Are you a ***** ******. Get off of X."

One makes it an issue of disagreeing with the opinion and one disagrees or not but has to throw in a snyde remark about a single user. Trolls will target a single user and then take advantage of mob mentality whereby other trolls will join in.

Hence, "don't throw water on the trolls or they grow and multiply."
    It's the difference between attacking the argument/opinion, and making a personal attack against the person who holds it. Of course some people take attacks on their arguments quite personally, but that is their interpretation. It's hard to misinterpret "if you think that, you must be an idiot."

Here we often advise "don't feed the trolls".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Ene liked this post