User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think he's actually pretty cool.
    I couldn't do this... nor have the guts to try.
    Ditto!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Why so much hate?
    My reaction was driven by the look on his wife's face before he went out there and the understanding that 7 people in his family have died doing such stunts in the past. Then there were all of his children standing there and the guy blathering on about how he was in God's glory or some such crap while he was walking across the wire.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    My reaction was driven by the look on his wife's face before he went out there and the understanding that 7 people in his family have died doing such stunts in the past. Then there were all of his children standing there and the guy blathering on about how he was in God's glory or some such crap while he was walking across the wire.
    You think they would have talked about this before they got married and had kids.

I mean, she married a Wallenda. It's not like "just a guy who tightropes," she married the guy in THE premiere family known around the world as tightrope walkers for a few generations back.

I can't imagine he said, "Well, I'm going to stop if we get married." His own dad died and he didn't give up tightrope walking. But I hope they are having open dialogue with each other and the kids about it; there could be a lot of intense and mixed emotions there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Well so there's this French guy (Alain Robert ) that climbs skyscrapers and he's like 50 something years old. His wife doesn't really like to watch but she accepts his passion.

I almost put passion in quotes, but for people like that and the other FREAKS that freeclimb, we just can't comprehend that they actually know what they're doing.

But yeah, the God's glory crap would be annoying.

edit: didn't see the part about 7 people in his family dying. Is that God's glory too?

yeah, that's kinda crazy.

I know men with kids whose wives don't want them riding motorcycles anymore. And to be honest, it's kind of understandable. People with 40+ years motorcycle riding die all the time. God so many stories. My last scuba class, one guy dives with his one leg, the other one gone from a motorcycle accident. "And no I don't swim in circles." The instructor "Yeah, it's more like a dolphin." Anyway, little tangent.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Well so there's this French guy (Alain Robert ) that climbs skyscrapers and he's like 50 something years old. His wife doesn't really like to watch but she accepts his passion.

I almost put passion in quotes, but for people like that and the other FREAKS that freeclimb, we just can't comprehend that they actually know what they're doing.

But yeah, the God's glory crap would be annoying.
    Why is that any different than him climbing?

From one perspective, if he attributes it to God, it's all part of the same passion for him and I think you have to accept both if you accept one.

(However, from another perspective, when someone attributes something to God, it is like "picking sides" and pitting others against God if they disagree. Like attributing a football victory to God -- what, the believers on the other team just weren't good enough for God to pick them to as the winner? Here it kind of puts pressure on his family if they don't want him to go.)

EDIT: Oh, look, him and Joel Osteen are buds. I didn't know that.

Nik Wallenda Thanks God After Completing Tightrope Walk Chicago, Reveals Next Stunt (Photos, Video) | Gospelherald.com

Great view. *gaaack*

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Why is that any different than him climbing?

From one perspective, if he attributes it to God, it's all part of the same passion for him and I think you have to accept both if you accept one.

(However, from another perspective, when someone attributes something to God, it is like "picking sides" and pitting others against God if they disagree. Like attributing a football victory to God -- what, the believers on the other team just weren't good enough for God to pick them to as the winner? Here it kind of puts pressure on his family if they don't want him to go.)
    It's not different, that's my point. Kudos to him, but I did add an edit, cuz I didn't see the part about 7 people dying in his friggin' family.

EDIT: Oh, look, him and Joel Osteen are buds. I didn't know that.
    Oh god.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    It's not different, that's my point. Kudos to him, but I did add an edit, cuz I didn't see the part about 7 people dying in his friggin' family.

Yeah, I think it's a lot easier when they just take up running instead: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." ~ Eric Liddell [inspiring Vangelis soundtrack]

Running has a far lower mortality rate and God-talk seems more inspiring. Here it can still come across as a little off-kilter.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yeah, I think it's a lot easier when they just take up running instead: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." ~ Eric Liddell [inspiring Vangelis soundtrack]

Running has a far lower mortality rate and God-talk seems more inspiring. Here it can still come across as a little off-kilter.
    I'll never stop linking Onion stuff. Never!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Thank you!
    Incredibly selfish to traumatize his children and risk his life for his "passion." Maybe his kids wish his "passion" were actually being there for THEM.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Awkward.