User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Jesus Christ, what are we doing?

Too much. Too far.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I heard about that yesterday.

Sounds like they are milking it too, to get all the press they can.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I'm not shocked. And perhaps thats the most shocking thing about it.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There's been such a long history of debate about violence in video games. Generally I defend it, not as something that needs to exist, but something that should be allowed to. For anyone who has stood by such a position but finds this game disturbing, what has changed?

One thing we could say is sheer realism. Way back and the day I laughed about how no one could take Mortal Kombat and Doom for real violence. It was so tacky looking. Now, technology has very nearly reached a point where things are as real as live video. You could say that makes it too graphic now. The only problem with that argument is figuring out where to draw the line on "too real".

A second argument could be made that the psychological content of games have changed. Gladiatorial battles and blowing down guys possessed by demons both seems sillier and in one way or another less perverse (and I know that sounds weird in the case of gladiators). But it seems like a gradual trend over time that games have tried to move onto more conceptually disturbing content, where you now have a situation in which the not just the death of targets, but the pain, terror, and innocence of the target is emphasized, that enters a very uncomfortable place.

But maybe I've changed, too. This should be connected to this thread . There is such a disturbingly toxic subculture within gamers (read that clearly, not all of them, a subculture within), that it has made content like this seem a lot harder to shrug off than it used to be. It seems like going on a killing spree might be a masturbatory fantasy for a lot of these hateful creeps. I don't know if indulging it makes any difference, but I kind of feel like I don't want to try to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I heard about that yesterday.

Sounds like they are milking it too, to get all the press they can.
    I always felt like this is an assholish thing to do in terms of the gaming industry. Because while the people that publish this game can reap in the media attention for their one game, the entire rest of the gaming industry will have to pay the price for the next wave of condemnation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

It's the same thing we've been fed for decades now framed under the cultural and technological pinnings of Earth Year Two Thousand and Fourteen.

Inevitable, irrational, the beat goes on.

I wonder whether there could be any reason for developing and selling this game that I would not find despicable. But I cannot think of any other than that there might be a slim chance that playing out these fantasies in a game might lessen the urge to carry them out on the streets. Alas, the actual reason seems to be nothing but profit, increased by scandal. It is a bit like fracking or selling bomb equipment in a supermarket.

If that's the best idea for a product that company could generate, they should all go pump fucking gas for a living.
    Likes Totenkindly, Oaky liked this post

Maybe the trailer only shows Level 1. Maybe in Level 2, the player has to run some errands as a mother of two who then happens to come across and is forced to escape the character played in Level 1. The game ends with Level 2, because you never survive it. That could be the game's saving grace.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Maybe the trailer only shows Level 1. Maybe in Level 2, the player has to run some errands as a mother of two who then happens to come across and is forced to escape the character played in Level 1. The game ends with Level 2, because you never survive it. That could be the game's saving grace.
    I'm totally sure that is what they were going for here.

That would actually be a great response by another company as an addon. And then when the mass murderer is caught, instead of having him executed they make him sit in his cell for years surrounded by pics of all his victims and vids of all the crying relatives.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I don't even know if I want to watch that video.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.