User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    The number of people who will purchase this will be less than the number of people who spent 50+ hours going on wanton rampages in GTA over the years. I was demonstrating that the biggest cultural gaming phenomenon of all time owes much of its allegiance to the indiscriminate nature of its gameplay, the way this game is indiscriminate regarding cultural "tastes" and standards. It's a twin-stick shooter with horde-style gameplay that doesn't involve zombies or demons I read an article once about the transcendent quality of gameplay mechanics; the study showed violence alone is never a correlative factor between it and favorable experience. The backdrop is most typically only a backdrop (there are exceptions, say RPG's - but even then the mechanics can trump an experience, like FFX's well-regarded battle system.) That's the way I see it.
    But it still is the same thing - people are willfully choosing to kill a bunch of strangers, whether or not people play this or GTA more. Not that I'm saying it makes you universally a bad person for choosing to like to do things like this or that this causes entitled white kids to shoot up their schools. I'm just saying relative to me and most people I know, if you have a love of killing random people in a video game we're gonna be creeped out and not want to be friends with you. It may be narrow-minded but hey we obviously have different priorities and put weight into different things.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

The thread that brought back Lark... Well done, swordpath.
    Likes Chanaynay liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    But it still is the same thing - people are willfully choosing to kill a bunch of strangers pixels
    Fixed it for ya ; )
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Fixed it for ya ; )
    omfg it's the same thing you little d-bag
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

omfg it's the same thing you little d-bag
    lol.

yeah, but you make it sound like ACTUALLY killing strangers. And I for one, think that's bad, mmmmmmkay?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

But it still is the same thing - people are willfully choosing to kill a bunch of strangers, whether or not people play this or GTA more. Not that I'm saying it makes you universally a bad person for choosing to like to do things like this or that this causes entitled white kids to shoot up their schools. I'm just saying relative to me and most people I know, if you have a love of killing random people in a video game we're gonna be creeped out and not want to be friends with you. It may be narrow-minded but hey we obviously have different priorities and put weight into different things.
    Killing in video games is a bit of a thing you know.

In no small part because video games allow people to do things they'd never do in real life and wouldnt dream of, granted there's a difference between flying space ships, driving fast cars or navigating boats and killing people.

Although my point is its make believe, poor taste in all likelihood but make believe, the point made by a Christian friend who I talked to about it in my teens when I discovered that in command and conquer games it was possible to set fire to civilian buildings and even churches the little non-combatants running out and running for their lives, occasionally one of them taking pot shots with a hand gun ineffectually at the tanks.

Sylvester Stallone in response to critics of Rambo who linked it to anti-social violence and spree killing said that people like Charles Manson killed people and claimed to be divinely inspired but no one stopped going to church to pray so he did not see why anyone should stop seeing his movies. Now I know that mentioning religion doesnt go over well with most of the people visiting forums at the moment but I'm sure the point is clear enough.

Stallone's making a response at all is interesting because artists would not do such a thing now but they did then and of all the movies I can think of Rambo is one in which a correlation between its content and popular thinking can be easily illustrated by the fact that big knives were called "Rambo knives" for a time afterwards when previously they were known as "Bowie knives" after big Jim Bowie, a historical knife fighter and not a fictional character.

I think that these sorts of games are likely poor taste, its part of their appeal to those they appeal to too, could they illustrate something more? Like Freudian death wishes? That necrophilious attitudes are trending rather than biophilious ones? Maybe but I dont think the discussion will get started. Whoever developed the game could make big money, I dont know how dateline miami or postal performed in terms of ringing cash registers, dateline did well because it was tapping a lot of retrogaming nostalgia I know that and the violent and psychological content were more window dressing to the players.

Of the people who are liable to be influenced into emulating this sort of thing, and they exist, I've worked with a couple of them in my professional capacity, they are minorities, you could even say anomolies, and I personally think that making laws which apply to everyone, particularly when they are restrictive or compell consensus, is bad law. Very difficult to enforce, very difficult to judge a success, very unlikely to prove satisfactory to those who want it and brimming with unwanted externalities or spill over effects.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    lol.

yeah, but you make it sound like ACTUALLY killing strangers. And I for one, think that's bad, mmmmmmkay?
    i guess so. i just thought it was obvious that i meant inside the game.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

What the fuck? Is the player's purpose to be the main character who was killing everyone?

I'd be worried about the mental health/stability about whoever created that game, more or less let it actually become a legit thing.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Onion news was pretty accurate in their reporting when they stated "it's only terrifying if you're a huge wuss who's never experienced real fear".

Likes Noll liked this post