User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

  1. #11
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    At this point I don't even consider things like this real video games.

    Edit: Okay more thoughts. I can't really think of a way to shoot this down logically, since games like GTA have been allowing people to kill whoever they want for years - it's just that the storyline of the game is the first one to center around just that.

    As Freud would say we all have a compulsion to have sex and murder/cause destruction...so I can see how this game could be very masturbatory to people who have felt wronged by the entire planet or just people who wouldn't want to kill in reality. The problem I see with it is if someone's gonna take it seriously but then again that's been a problem for a lot of video games: psychologically presenting the idea of unleashing fury to entitled white boys.

    All I can say is that I don't agree with this game from a moral standpoint. I think it's disgusting and shouldn't really even be called a video game and I despise this subculture that exists within my interests as a gamer. Fuck this game and anyone who likes it. And anyone who becomes a massive whining pissbaby because someone thinks they're trash for liking this game needs to understand a lot of people wouldn't really like someone who consciously enjoys the idea of indiscriminate genocide. The only thing that would make this game better is if the MC had a fedora.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so


  2. #12
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default

    I think anytime a self entitled 20 yr old male tries to mass murder people because they think society is being unfair to them even though it's not. we should gun them down instead.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

  3. #13
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Ha, wow. That's kinda fucked up.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  4. #14
    is indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Edit: Okay more thoughts. I can't really think of a way to shoot this down logically, since games like GTA have been allowing people to kill whoever they want for years - it's just that the storyline of the game is the first one to center around just that.
    That's the thing, in this game you're forced into the murder of innocents.

    What does it say of the legions who willingly go on rampages in games like GTA/Saint's Row/Sleeping Dogs/Red Dead Redemption/etc etc etc?

    The scale of that fact is far more disturbing than the presence of this game. It only takes a few to make one of this caliber, it takes millions to replicate what has been conducted in open world games. The concern over this game is troubling.

  5. #15
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    That's the thing, in this game you're forced into the murder of innocents.

    What does it say of the legions who willingly go on rampages in games like GTA/Saint's Row/Sleeping Dogs/Red Dead Redemption/etc etc etc?

    The scale of that fact is far more disturbing than the presence of this game.
    But wouldn't you say it's the same since people are willingly buying this game, knowing what they're getting into?
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so


  6. #16
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Its been done.

    Postal (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Hotline Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Plus the game mechanics in all of the sandbox GTA games permit you do play in this way.

    The PS2 game The Punisher allowed for similar aesthetics, in the sense of the torturing the badguys sequences, although it did have game mechanics which penalised players who did go from terrorising the criminals to grisly murders of the same, as a fan of the character the game did pretty well to portray a lot of the thinking that had gone about about him from his inception as a Spiderman extra up to and after Garth Ennis did his gritty reboot. Vigilantism is going to be considered differently by people for a lot of reasons though, the same way that Modern Warfare and other games of that kind are.

    Does anyone remember the controversary about some modern warfare games wanting to introduce children into the gameplay? I am not sure if these NPCs (non-player characters) were meant as potential bystanders to avoid killing or who may have formed collateral damage or if they were meant to be actual child soldiers in African and Latin theatres of war.

    Personally I think the last time there was any legitimate gaming controversary, when a real discussion could have and should have been had, was when the Manhunt game came out on the playstation platforms, I'm pretty sure that was a Rockstar games production, the people behind GTA etc. and to my mind it was when games took the distasteful turn, the as the SAW movies, I just think those were bad moves and without precident or precursor.

    What @magic porifean said has some weight too, blasting apart little ceefax people back in the day is far removed from todays gaming. I'd be asking is it fun and why's it fun too? I'm a big retro gamer because I think despite bad graphics, bad gaming mechanics and often the need to cheats, pokes or other fixes to make them fun properly those games were fun, often sporting the weirdest or funniest, that is silliest, and imaginary themes, back stories etc. things like Head of Heels, Fairlight, Castlevania (I love that you actually kneel as if to pray in one of those games to get transported to the next stage of play) to name just a couple which stick in my mind.

    These things could be a foil to a discussion but I highly doubt it, the whole gamergate thing and the threats phoned in to prevent a guest speaker with a critical view of gaming even speaking recently have led me to believe that this scene reflects much wider developments very well, which I think are more interested closing down discussion, even closing peoples minds and being quite self-congratulatory about that, than they are in the opposite.

  7. #17
    is indra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    But wouldn't you say it's the same since people are willingly buying this game, knowing what they're getting into?
    The number of people who will purchase this will be less than the number of people who spent 50+ hours going on wanton rampages in GTA over the years. I was demonstrating that the biggest cultural gaming phenomenon of all time owes much of its allegiance to the indiscriminate nature of its gameplay, the way this game is indiscriminate regarding cultural "tastes" and standards. It's a twin-stick shooter with horde-style gameplay that doesn't involve zombies or demons I read an article once about the transcendent quality of gameplay mechanics; the study showed violence alone is never a correlative factor between it and favorable experience. The backdrop is most typically only a backdrop (there are exceptions, say RPG's - but even then the mechanics can trump an experience, like FFX's well-regarded battle system.) That's the way I see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its been done.

    Postal (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Hotline Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Plus the game mechanics in all of the sandbox GTA games permit you do play in this way.

    The PS2 game The Punisher allowed for similar aesthetics, in the sense of the torturing the badguys sequences, although it did have game mechanics which penalised players who did go from terrorising the criminals to grisly murders of the same, as a fan of the character the game did pretty well to portray a lot of the thinking that had gone about about him from his inception as a Spiderman extra up to and after Garth Ennis did his gritty reboot. Vigilantism is going to be considered differently by people for a lot of reasons though, the same way that Modern Warfare and other games of that kind are.

    Does anyone remember the controversary about some modern warfare games wanting to introduce children into the gameplay? I am not sure if these NPCs (non-player characters) were meant as potential bystanders to avoid killing or who may have formed collateral damage or if they were meant to be actual child soldiers in African and Latin theatres of war.

    Personally I think the last time there was any legitimate gaming controversary, when a real discussion could have and should have been had, was when the Manhunt game came out on the playstation platforms, I'm pretty sure that was a Rockstar games production, the people behind GTA etc. and to my mind it was when games took the distasteful turn, the as the SAW movies, I just think those were bad moves and without precident or precursor.

    What @magic porifean said has some weight too, blasting apart little ceefax people back in the day is far removed from todays gaming. I'd be asking is it fun and why's it fun too? I'm a big retro gamer because I think despite bad graphics, bad gaming mechanics and often the need to cheats, pokes or other fixes to make them fun properly those games were fun, often sporting the weirdest or funniest, that is silliest, and imaginary themes, back stories etc. things like Head of Heels, Fairlight, Castlevania (I love that you actually kneel as if to pray in one of those games to get transported to the next stage of play) to name just a couple which stick in my mind.

    These things could be a foil to a discussion but I highly doubt it, the whole gamergate thing and the threats phoned in to prevent a guest speaker with a critical view of gaming even speaking recently have led me to believe that this scene reflects much wider developments very well, which I think are more interested closing down discussion, even closing peoples minds and being quite self-congratulatory about that, than they are in the opposite.

  8. #18
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    From the creators:

    Our target is basically a gamer that is coming home after a long, tiring and overall a shitty working day. So we give him the opportunity to just sit by his computer and let some of the steam go by shooting NPCs and destroying the level.
    I played Manhunt and GTA plenty. In Manhunt, you play a deathrow inmate, freed to murder and execute people. But other criminals, gangs, and even pedophiles. It's dark and scary and a hell of a lot of fun. But no murdering innocents.

    GTA games, sure you can off a police officer or hooker at will, but there's consequences, and it's more tongue-in-cheek, at least to me.

    This one.

    Hmmmm. I'm sure plenty of sane normal people will be playing it, and not be affected. It's the children we must think about, the children!!!

    As @Magic Poriferan said, with the new systems and hardware, games are much more realistic.

    Most studies show, more and more, that the answer to the question: "Is there any evidence of a link between violent video games and murder?" is "no."





    A succinct explanation of some scientician's study on violence and video games:

    This game is more or less a game that has taken full advantage of what the law will allow. Intentional controversy. And the creators have basically said as much.


    Will I play it? Doubtful.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  9. #19
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Who the hell cares. You're all giving them what they want.

    Looks like the gameplay would wear itself out quickly anyway.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT
    Likes Raffaella, Noll liked this post

  10. #20
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Who the hell cares. You're all giving them what they want.

    Looks like the gameplay would wear itself out quickly anyway.
    I care dammit!!

    Also
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Similar Threads

  1. What are you doing tonight?
    By Giggly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
  2. what are you doing to prepare for a global economic crisis?
    By Grayscale in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 08:20 AM
  3. [NT] What ought we do with negative feelings?
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. N: what are we actually speaking about ?
    By developer in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO