User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Does anyone else actively ignore these sorts of "viral videos" that just reek of click-bait, and usually ultimately are videos of unachieveable pipe-dreams that just make people feel good about themselves? Or worse, feel worse about themselves?

And no, I did not watch this, and I don't plan to either. How much you wanna bet it's on Upworthy as well?
    I find Upworthy to be remarkably self-righteous and hardly as inspiring as they pretend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Even if you agree with the message it's way too dramatic.
    Well, the drama is kind of the point. It's supposed to evoke feelings, so that those watching won't see how much of the words he chants are false or mostly false. Atavism is alive and well. There is, of course, an emotional truth in this video: people feel disconnected. The lie is to blame technology for the disconnect. I know that in my life this new technology makes me MORE connected than I used to be. I've met far too many friends online to feel like technology is disconnecting me from humanity.

I remember what it was like back before all of this technology, back before the internet, before computers. Here's a humorous take on it:

The hovertext reads: "We watched DAYTIME TV. Do you realize how soul-crushing it was? I'd rather eat an iPad than go back to watching daytime TV."

Before the internet, people bemoaned the effect that TV had on the family. Historically, people have always complained about the latest technology in these humanistic/atavistic terms:
    A History of Complaints About Technology*|*Dr. Natasha Josefowitz
    A history of media technology scares, from the printing press to Facebook.
    Information overload, the early years - The Boston Globe

To conclude, Ene recently wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    "Old wisdom, when rediscovered, may become modern truth."
    To which I replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Sadly, the same thing happens with old idiocy.
    In other words: Same shit. Different day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes riva, Ene, Video, Ghost liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

Accurately spoken, @uumlau
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

More thoughts ...

Since the advent of computers and the internet, I've been able to express myself far more completely than I would have been otherwise. The simple, basic word processor program (the primitive nature of which back in 1984 would leave you with the impression that Windows Notepad is an impressive application) allowed me to move text around, without writing out note cards, without having to write/erase/write/erase/write again and again. I could form my thoughts in the editor as fast as I thought them. With a pen or pencil, I'll have rewritten a sentence 3 times before I put a period at the end. With a computer, I just think and the words appear. If I don't like them, I move them around or remove them. If more text is needed, I add it in the location it is needed.

As those who read my posts with any frequency are aware, I don't write a single sentence. I am not "pithy". I take ideas and expand them and expand them, showing where and how I connect them with other ideas. I try to convey concepts for which there are no words to label them. A typical email of mine to a friend comprises several paragraphs. If I'm in a live chat, I actually need to be careful and patient, as I'll type out walls of text before my partner in conversation has a chance to reply to the first thing I wrote.

Technology is what lets me do this, every day. I hold conversations with others that extend for weeks. Conversations that would be impossible otherwise. Connections with people in other states or other countries with whom I'd have no connection without the internet.

People aren't disconnected because they are endlessly distracted and overloaded with information technology. They pull out their phones because they're bored with the people they're with. They're ALREADY disconnected.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    More thoughts ...

Since the advent of computers and the internet, I've been able to express myself far more completely than I would have been otherwise. The simple, basic word processor program (the primitive nature of which back in 1984 would leave you with the impression that Windows Notepad is an impressive application) allowed me to move text around, without writing out note cards, without having to write/erase/write/erase/write again and again. I could form my thoughts in the editor as fast as I thought them. With a pen or pencil, I'll have rewritten a sentence 3 times before I put a period at the end. With a computer, I just think and the words appear. If I don't like them, I move them around or remove them. If more text is needed, I add it in the location it is needed.

As those who read my posts with any frequency are aware, I don't write a single sentence. I am not "pithy". I take ideas and expand them and expand them, showing where and how I connect them with other ideas. I try to convey concepts for which there are no words to label them. A typical email of mine to a friend comprises several paragraphs. If I'm in a live chat, I actually need to be careful and patient, as I'll type out walls of text before my partner in conversation has a chance to reply to the first thing I wrote.

Technology is what lets me do this, every day. I hold conversations with others that extend for weeks. Conversations that would be impossible otherwise. Connections with people in other states or other countries with whom I'd have no connection without the internet.

People aren't disconnected because they are endlessly distracted and overloaded with information technology. They pull out their phones because they're bored with the people they're with. They're ALREADY disconnected.
    AFFIRMED in part and DENIED in part.

Confirmatory example: I've had friends complain that when they go out with (a subset of friends) that they go to a bar or restaurant or club and don't interact with each other, they merely text.
    Counterexample: that advertisement where a man and woman are on a date and are texting EACH OTHER while at the same table.
    Second counterexample: Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds in lieu of human contact.
    Third counterexample: yourself -- you are now able to compose your complex thoughts in real time (to the chagrin of your correspondents who don't get a stroke in edgewise) and reach out to people geographically distant. Neither of which you'd have been able to do without technology.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.