User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a giver or a taker? (Results are private)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am always a giver.

1 6.67%
  • I am mostly a giver.

1 6.67%
  • I am roughly balanced between giving and taking.

7 46.67%
  • I am mostly a taker.

6 40.00%
  • I am always a taker.

0 0%
123 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default Givers and Takers

There are two broad groups in our society, givers and takers. Givers give to takers and takers take from givers. Which would you call yourself?

I doubt most people are pure givers, but rarely I could see somebody as a pure taker if something was wrong with them.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

A wannabe dog

Giver definitely.

If I see my enemy in danger, I will even risk my own life to save them. I don't treat people the way they treated me, because an eye for an eye only makes the world go blind, so I treat everybody the same way regardless of how they treated me.

I think most people would have a combination of giver and taker tendencies in them.

I personally consider myself a 75% giver and a 25% taker.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't like assigning people to an either/or category like that. Even the framework itself might be limiting.

There are times in your life where it is important to be a giver, but there are also valid times where you can be a taker. (For example, in the parent/child relationship, parents naturally give more because they are more mature and have more resources, and meanwhile the child is taking because they are growing and not quite yet independent. Does that mean a child is "bad" in the sense of being a "taker"? Not necessarily.)

I've also gone through a period of life where I had to take more than I could give, after having been giving and giving for quite awhile. I just did not have the resources to survive without finally accepting energy and support from others. I felt guilt at the time because I wasn't used to being dependent on others in any way, or asking them for help; but being a taker in that situation overall was necessary and not bad even though my own emotions about it were confusing.

If we're just viewing it as "someone is typically looking out for others = Giver" and "someone who is typically first and foremost concerned about themselves = Taker," then I suppose that makes more sense. But that's really more about other-centered vs self-centered. The self-centered tend to drain the system without contributing much back; they're consumers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I don't want to be either. I want to be an island.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Glint liked this post

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Self-centered rather than others-centered 80% of the time. I think I take more than I give in most aspects of my life (emotionally, materially, etc.), something I'm definitely not proud of and that's ultimately made my life less fulfilling than it could be. Taking from others is easier than giving for me, but I think I would be happier and more connected to others if I allowed myself to give as much as I take.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
    Giver definitely.

If I see my enemy in danger, I will even risk my own life to save them. I don't treat people the way they treated me, because an eye for an eye only makes the world go blind, so I treat everybody the same way regardless of how they treated me.

I think most people would have a combination of giver and taker tendencies in them.

I personally consider myself a 75% giver and a 25% taker.
    I take it you didn't vote?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

i try to be both in an honest and mindful way. i don't think it's necessarily bad to do one more than the other at a given time, as long as you don't stay stuck in one.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes gromit, Olm the Water King, skylights liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't like assigning people to an either/or category like that. Even the framework itself might be limiting.

There are times in your life where it is important to be a giver, but there are also valid times where you can be a taker. (For example, in the parent/child relationship, parents naturally give more because they are more mature and have more resources, and meanwhile the child is taking because they are growing and not quite yet independent. Does that mean a child is "bad" in the sense of being a "taker"? Not necessarily.)

I've also gone through a period of life where I had to take more than I could give, after having been giving and giving for quite awhile. I just did not have the resources to survive without finally accepting energy and support from others. I felt guilt at the time because I wasn't used to being dependent on others in any way, or asking them for help; but being a taker in that situation overall was necessary and not bad even though my own emotions about it were confusing.

If we're just viewing it as "someone is typically looking out for others = Giver" and "someone who is typically first and foremost concerned about themselves = Taker," then I suppose that makes more sense. But that's really more about other-centered vs self-centered. The self-centered tend to drain the system without contributing much back; they're consumers.
    Those are the definitions I was using.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    i try to be both in an honest and mindful way. i don't think it's necessarily bad to do one more than the other at a given time, as long as you don't stay stuck in one.
    Interesting. I always thought self-centered takers were bad and others-centered givers were good.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

A wannabe dog

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I take it you didn't vote?
    no I didn't vote... :S