User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a giver or a taker? (Results are private)

15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am always a giver.

1 6.67%
  • I am mostly a giver.

1 6.67%
  • I am roughly balanced between giving and taking.

7 46.67%
  • I am mostly a taker.

6 40.00%
  • I am always a taker.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Givers and Takers

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

They can give you anything you desire, but they'll take anything you value.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

7w8 sx/sp

I take what I am given and give what I take. Unless something's taken from me, then I give no giving. But I take no joy in it. Unless it's a giving party, then I might take less, or maybe not at all, and give like it's going out of style. I took a lot of entertainment when I watched Taken, but I did not give much in return, cuz as fun as that movie is, let's face it, it's pretty 2 dimensional. I am a big taker when it comes to office pens.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    359 sp/so
    LIE Ni

Reciprocator. So pretty much that middle option.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

5w4 sp/so

I would've voted for neither.

The Dark Lord Array The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    6w7 sp/so
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I think I tend to focus more on others, but it gets me in trouble sometimes because I don't focus enough on meeting my own practical needs, and then I often feel forced to turn to others for help in a pinch. So, instead of taking care of my own needs in a way that others can navigate around and/or help with on their own time, I often end up forcing my taking on them at inconvenient times to them. I would vote roughly even for myself because I suspect it mostly ends up balancing out - truthfully, I think it ends up balancing out for most people. I think it is rare to find those who are heavily skewed either way.

I also think there is power and wisdom in taking care of yourself, and that it is important to establish a balance. As @Jennifer mentioned, I think roles are important, in a sort of circle-of-life way. It's good to take from your parents. That's why they decided to become parents, to give life. It's good to take from your teachers and mentors; they intentionally expend their energy to make your taking easier and more efficient. And when you feel like you are in a place where you can give of your own earned resources, I think it's being a good citizen to give back in ways that empower others in the same way that your givers helped empower you.

@Magic Qwan, you might get tired of my thoughts eventually - but I think that instead of working on giving more, it might be helpful for you to work on establishing your balance. I think you already know this, but it's not really super helpful to society at large if you're taking from disability checks and giving it back to homeless people - that's sort of just a static cycle instead of using it to propel you and them upwards. Both you and them deserve more than that. The church is one source you can take from - schools, trusted teachers, counselors, doctors, people you look up to, friends - all sources you can take from with solace that they exist in part to help you, or at least provide some inspiration. Have you spoken to family friends and acquaintances about wanting a job? I think volunteering would be a fantastic way to help give without depleting your own resources. It can also help build your resume.
    My family says talk is cheap, though volunteer seems nice since I can hone my giving without necessarily having to do it in a set way. For example, I once was collecting money for a homeless shelter and got borrd doing it the way I was at first and put a sign on my head to make a character to draw attention to out setup. It was fun. I think we got more donations after I did that.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

I give and take, amount differs from day to day.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.