Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    One key though is I would have to be oblivious to this about them at first. If I knew it beforehand I'd likely just avoid them and keep a distance.
    Oh yeah. I forgot about this possibility.

Knowing about their terrible garbage worldviews upfront would turn me off. If I learned about it afterward, and if it hadn't affected our friendship all along, I wouldn't be so inclined to shut them out.

I accept that the reverse could be true--that 'skeletons in my closet,' when brought to light, could very well either complicate or sever a friendship. And different skeletons affect different people in different ways. Or something. Whatever.
    Individuals who are vocal about opposing ideologies to mine very strongly get under my skin.
    This. But also, people who won't shut up about their ideology even if it's aligned with mine also grate me. I ask them, internally and rhetorically--why fixate your identity on one thing and one thing only?
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    I would say 'no' when it comes to racism, but the problem is that over the past few years I realized how extremely common racism is. People I thought were decent, turned out to harbor these negative feelings towards people from another ethnic background. At first I was shocked and I figured it would be best if I minimized all contact I had with these people, but once I found that a huge majority of all people I knew were racist, I knew I wouldn't have much of a social life left if I did that. In the end I guess I could sort of be friendly with someone who's racist, but I'd make sure that they know who they're dealing with. I'm mixed, but if you don't know it or actively look for mixed features, you wouldn't see it. In the last few years I've become more and more open about being mixed and I make sure people are aware of that. In fact, I often even refer to myself as a foreigner (too bad my name gives the impression I could be a pureblood non-foreigner). So I confront people as soon as possible with my ethnicity, so they get a chance to adjust their behavior to it. However, I must say I do have a hard time taking racists seriously.

Homophobes are more rare in my social circles (thank god). Except for 90% of my family and the people I went to high school with, I don't think I can name anyone who's actually a homophobe. If I would find out someone is homophobic, I would avoid them. Same with pro-lifers (except for, well, the ones who are actually my family) and MRA's.

One sad part about racism I would like to point out: when I went to college, I rarely met anyone who was a pureblood ethnic minority. There were some, but compared to the number of people from ethnic minorities you can actually find in society, this was nothing. A few Arab girls, some Asians, that's it. When it came to people with mixed ethnicities, I think I only met two people who were visibly mixed. One of them was girl whose dad was an Arab (who was very, VERY vocal about it) and the other one was half African (he was soon nicknamed 'the campus negro'). All the other mixed people on campus didn't look mixed at all, they all looked white. Lots of half Arabs who looked white (including light brown or blond hair and light eyes), blue-eyed people who turned out to have one black parent (and only black looking siblings). It makes me sad, it's as if you can only get somewhere in life with foreign roots as long as you don't look too foreign.
    I can at least understand (but not condone) somebody hurting a gay person on religious grounds (as I was an anti-gay crusader while a cult child), but hatred of interacial marriage and mixed children has never made any sense to me. They are just families to me. I see gays this way as well, now.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post

Knowing about their terrible garbage worldviews upfront would turn me off. If I learned about it afterward, and if it hadn't affected our friendship all along, I wouldn't be so inclined to shut them out.

I accept that the reverse could be true--that 'skeletons in my closet,' when brought to light, could very well either complicate or sever a friendship. And different skeletons affect different people in different ways. Or something. Whatever.

This. But also, people who won't shut up about their ideology even if it's aligned with mine also grate me. I ask them, internally and rhetorically--why fixate your identity on one thing and one thing only?
    I identify primarily with my moral code, so having no superego would be like having no identity.
    @skylights

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post

I identify primarily with my moral code, so having no superego would be like having no identity.

@skylights
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I am surrounded by these racist, conformist homophobes, and while I keep my judgments to myself, I find I can barely spend time with most people because my private judgments against mainstream society are so severe and intense and negative. I have a couple "weird, outcast" people I hang out on a one-on-one basis who I find ok, and it bothers me these people are picked on. I defend them, and I get picked on. I know I am too weak and powerless to correct the big picture on my one, but I am ready to start a movement.

It is time for hatred and greed and prejudice to be laid to rest. I call for an outing of all hate groups and an end to discrimination of others on the color of their skin, their gender, and their sexual orientation. I see a future where religious extremism is extinct, and people are either progressively religious and letting science inform their worldview, or secularist, because despite uneasiness with religion, I believe promoting religious pluralism is far superior to stamping it out. We must march on towards a better tomorrow. END OPPRESSION TODAY!!!!
    You're 'Muerrican, aren't you?

My sympathies.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

No, though if their dislike of a certain race or of a person's sexual orientation didn't result in them trying to insult, chastise, discriminate against, dehumanize, degrade, or otherwise ruin that person's life, then maybe I wouldn't care. But what are the chances of that happening? Prejudiced people usually come with other baggage, and are almost always about looking for ways to say they are better than everyone and to treat everyone like nothing. They also tend to have a desire to impose their beliefs on everyone and are usually close-minded, backward, stupid, ignorant and absolute hell to be around.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

My sympathies.
    You are not?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

My sympathies.
    Ah, so you're actually a 100% desi, then?
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I am surrounded by these racist, conformist homophobes, and while I keep my judgments to myself, I find I can barely spend time with most people because my private judgments against mainstream society are so severe and intense and negative. I have a couple "weird, outcast" people I hang out on a one-on-one basis who I find ok, and it bothers me these people are picked on. I defend them, and I get picked on. I know I am too weak and powerless to correct the big picture on my one, but I am ready to start a movement.

It is time for hatred and greed and prejudice to be laid to rest. I call for an outing of all hate groups and an end to discrimination of others on the color of their skin, their gender, and their sexual orientation. I see a future where religious extremism is extinct, and people are either progressively religious and letting science inform their worldview, or secularist, because despite uneasiness with religion, I believe promoting religious pluralism is far superior to stamping it out. We must march on towards a better tomorrow. END OPPRESSION TODAY!!!!
    First off, kudos to you for defending your "outcast" friends!

Second, to answer your question: I might be polite to such people (the racist, conformist homophobes, that is), but I'd otherwise keep my distance from them. I'm all for equality and human rights, and will defend these ideals to the death.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

skylights
    Are you looking for me to say, me too? Because, yeah, basically. I live my life mostly according to what feels "right". Though, I don't feel like I talk about it much, at least not IRL. Most of the time I just act. Sometimes if I get particularly angry I will argue a point. I know a lot of people who are more "political" about their ideas. I seek change on a community level, but I am not really into politics and formal debate. I feel like the people jscrothers is talking about are people I would think of as "political", whose ideologies are the basis for how they relate.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Are you looking for me to say, me too? Because, yeah, basically. I live my life mostly according to what feels "right". Though, I don't feel like I talk about it much, at least not IRL. Most of the time I just act. Sometimes if I get particularly angry I will argue a point. I know a lot of people who are more "political" about their ideas. I seek change on a community level, but I am not really into politics and formal debate. I feel like the people jscrothers is talking about are people I would think of as "political", whose ideologies are the basis for how they relate.
    In that case, I am pretty political, or at least that was a phase I went through. I am a little more chill again.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan