User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Default Can Gaming ever be Healthy?

Sometimes, my mind is so active that if it doesn't have something to concentrate on, I just get restless and anxious.

I've noticed that VERY often, if I play a video game for an hour or two, I almost feel energized. Like, I'm doing something I'm GOOD at, and as silly as it seems, it does give a boost of confidence.

Of course, I should PROBABLY be using that energy towards something more conducive to the "real" world, like working on my business, or solving my issues, but sometimes, I just CANNOT bring myself to do those things.

A little less relevant:
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes prplchknz, iHeartCats liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it depends on the person..

I've seen way too many people lose thousands of man hours on.. virtual bullshit. And I've definitely been a contributor to that as well. It depends on what you're using it for. If shit's fucked up in your life, chances are you shouldn't be gaming. If you're average joe schmoe with a boring career and boring lifestyle and you go home and play vidja games, you're good.

I play with others, and its pretty social. I like it. I also tabletop more than virtual now. I bond with my bro via games too, we don't get to play around and hang out in person anymore so playing games is like hanging out.

And there definitely is something to brain activity and puzzle solving and exploring and imagining and shit.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Games r gud, mkay.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

A good game is like a good book. Neither are really that productive but give us an opportunity to immerse ourselves in a world a lot different than our own. It's also mentally stimulating in various ways.

Everyone deserves leisure time too. Just don't let it take over your life like @kyuuei said.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

I don't have the cite on hand but I recall that there were studies published that found a couple of hours of gaming/stimulation can beneficial. As with all things, everything in moderation.

From a social/personal experience POV I think that if you're playing an online/multiplayer game, the psychological benefit (or... damage) can vary depending on the people you are playing with, and what sort of socialization you're looking for while gaming.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Word.

Games are dope.

There was a documentary somewhere, I don't remember. It was talking about how the current world is too wired. We have essentially replace much of the real life encounters with more digital ones. What we find as happiness and exhilaration is actually a mask of what we do want, a need for communication with others.

Each time we post pictures online people are deluding themselves that they are either happy, or that others are having a better life then that person, which causes a psychological problem.
    Each time we are playing games of some sort, especially some that spends the majority of the time off work playing video games, the people are deluding themselves about having fun.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    There was a documentary somewhere, I don't remember. It was talking about how the current world is too wired. We have essentially replace much of the real life encounters with more digital ones. What we find as happiness and exhilaration is actually a mask of what we do want, a need for communication with others.

Each time we post pictures online people are deluding themselves that they are either happy, or that others are having a better life then that person, which causes a psychological problem.
    Each time we are playing games of some sort, especially some that spends the majority of the time off work playing video games, the people are deluding themselves about having fun.

Language-game (philosophy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i don't like that documentary's opinion

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

Oh, well I'm not sure if you meant excessive or all gamers but video games are fucking FUN.

I will say, that you're 100% right about everyone being too wired. The temptation to replace real life human encounters with online ones is huge, especially for those inclined towards it.

But there's also been times I've been depressed before I knew what a forum was, and it would have been a LOT better if I was on one.

They've done studies showing that online socializing is better than no socializing, but FAR from ideal.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.