User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram

I am at a strange point in my life, where gaming by myself just depresses the hell out of me. I don't mind doing it for a while, but I end up feeling like it's completely meaningless and that I should be doing something else. I certainly don't feel that way about others who game, it just doesn't feel "right" for me anymore.

I don't see how in moderation it's "unhealthy" though. This whole gaming stigma, is mostly the remains of the old culture, griping about things they don't understand. Meanwhile, people will read poorly-written, violent, sexed-up trash (ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY), and get applauded for being "Readers".
    Likes Ivy, Totenkindly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I am at a strange point in my life, where gaming by myself just depresses the hell out of me. I don't mind doing it for a while, but I end up feeling like it's completely meaningless and that I should be doing something else. I certainly don't feel that way about others who game, it just doesn't feel "right" for me anymore.
    I get the same way. It's really hard for me to play single player games anymore, which is a shame because that's pretty much what all my favorite childhood games are.

friendly and accessible boomslang's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

You generally can't play games without developing some sort of real-world skill. Problem solving, hand-eye coordination, strategy, organisation, task orientation. You'll find these things in most games.

I think the tendency is to consider them to be childish and a waste of time, but that probably largely comes from older people that didn't grow up with games in the form they're in now and therefore don't have much of an actual understanding (or desire to understand).

I don't find it particularly negative to play them a lot. I don't so much these days, but I think it borders on fallacy for people to try and argue that "real life" is superior.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
    I don't find it particularly negative to play them a lot. I don't so much these days, but I think it borders on fallacy for people to try and argue that "real life" is superior.
    Yeah, it seems like any other hobby to me. I think what people really mean is when people spend a lot of time gaming as a form of escapism. But really anything being used to hide away from life's issues is gonna be bad. I guess it's just that a lot of people who play video games can be prone to wanting to withdraw themselves from reality.

That said, gaming can also have the opposite effect. I've been on a Harvest Moon confessions blog and I recall a few confessions talking about how playing that game series got them through being in a hospital for treatments, helped them overcome depression, and so on. So sometimes games can even have therapeutic effects under the right circumstances.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Glint View Post
    As with all things, everything in moderation.
    Yeah.

Some of my best memories with my brother are of us playing video games together. And I've also wasted a huge amount of time with stupid meaningless quizzes on the Internet. I think it's important to just be mindful of whether what you're doing is satisfying in a wholesome way, or if it's just feeding a sort of addictive pattern. I say that, of course, while procrastinating. So that's my grain of salt.

doing it wrong
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENTP

I craved crystal meth earlier, but instead I played Halo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sounds like Minecraft.
    I think we should develop a TypoC Minecraft Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Yeah, it seems like any other hobby to me.
    I think so too. Moderation and Aristotle's golden mean come to mind. Although, some games have the unique quality of being designed for over consumption (I'm talking about you MMORPGS).
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elfred View Post
    I get the same way. It's really hard for me to play single player games anymore, which is a shame because that's pretty much what all my favorite childhood games are.
    Same. I tend to confine my gaming to either mobile platforms or multiplayer.

I think it can be healthy. I like it. I'm also intrigued by game design itself. Many games make you think. Puzzlers are cool.

When you suffer a coronary from an OD of Mountain Dew and Doritos while bathing in the radiance of your TV, your only light source in the room, you should probably stop.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post