User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think it depends on the person..

I've seen way too many people lose thousands of man hours on.. virtual bullshit. And I've definitely been a contributor to that as well. It depends on what you're using it for. If shit's fucked up in your life, chances are you shouldn't be gaming. If you're average joe schmoe with a boring career and boring lifestyle and you go home and play vidja games, you're good.

I play with others, and its pretty social. I like it. I also tabletop more than virtual now. I bond with my bro via games too, we don't get to play around and hang out in person anymore so playing games is like hanging out.

And there definitely is something to brain activity and puzzle solving and exploring and imagining and shit.
    kyuuei can speak for me. But I'll still say stuff because I like to talk.

I totally agree that it depends on how you're using it. I've definitely seen people use gaming as an escape from a shitty life. I understand the need to escape a shitty life but in many of these cases it seems to keep them from actually doing anything constructive about changing their shitty life.

For well-adjusted people with jobs and families positive social support systems (not necessarily families!) who can practice moderation in gaming, I think it's a net positive. Whether you're playing MMOs or strategy games they're doing something for you. My husband and kids are all gamers but also have balance with other activities. They're three of the most creative and pleasant people I know, so I think it's not harmful for them. Although in my son's case he has that balance because we make him have it- he would probably play Minecraft a lot more if we didn't put some limits on it. I can easily see it taking over his life and we'll have to be careful about that as he gets older.
    Last edited by Ivy; 10-01-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    Likes Totenkindly, Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It can be stress relieving [citation needed]
    It can also be a big waste of time and make you suck in life if you spend too much time on it [goes without saying]

Pro tip: do not get addicted to MMORPGs
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

To me gaming would be a total loss of time. Time is so precious...

A good book is interesting : you learn some vocabulary, you develop your imagination, your enjoy the author's tricks and traps, and you are into a new world.

Be on a forum is interesting : you are sharing informations with real people (I don't care if I see them or not) who can think about your own ideas on many subjects. And vice versa.

But that probably depends on how many hours you are playing, which kind of game it is and so on...

I know yes... some games are said to be very educational.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think it depends on the person..

I've seen way too many people lose thousands of man hours on.. virtual bullshit. And I've definitely been a contributor to that as well. It depends on what you're using it for. If shit's fucked up in your life, chances are you shouldn't be gaming. If you're average joe schmoe with a boring career and boring lifestyle and you go home and play vidja games, you're good.

I play with others, and its pretty social. I like it. I also tabletop more than virtual now. I bond with my bro via games too, we don't get to play around and hang out in person anymore so playing games is like hanging out.

And there definitely is something to brain activity and puzzle solving and exploring and imagining and shit.
    Yeah, I see pro's and con's to it. Sometimes it has been a positive thing in my life; other times it has been a negative (in terms of time/energy drain and escapism).

It depends on the game as to what it offers. Definitely it can be a stimulant, but games can also offer some level of social interaction, teamwork, exploration, thinking outside the box, using creative abilities, etc.

Then again, if it becomes addictive and/or supplants necessary/helpful other activities and relationships, it can be detrimental.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Oh, well I'm not sure if you meant excessive or all gamers but video games are fucking FUN.

I will say, that you're 100% right about everyone being too wired. The temptation to replace real life human encounters with online ones is huge, especially for those inclined towards it.

But there's also been times I've been depressed before I knew what a forum was, and it would have been a LOT better if I was on one.

They've done studies showing that online socializing is better than no socializing, but FAR from ideal.
    I remember doing an essay about MMORPGs (specifically) and gaming (in general) in high school (I was engrossed in an MMORPG called FFXI at the time, and my class had to do an essay about anything that was online.) One thing I noted in that essay was that interaction in online worlds can actually help people get out of tough life situations (anything from loneliness, family issues, bullying, low self-confidence, etc.) It's sort of like how listening to music or doing one's favorite sport help people get out of tough situations. While many use online interaction as a way to have fun, there are just as many people who use online interaction as a way to, for a lack of a better encompassing word, survive.

Much of my middle school days had more online interaction than any other years (or maybe it was more intense during that time) because it was a really bad time for me. I honestly wouldn't know where I would of been in middle school if it wasn't for online interaction

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Pro tip: do not get addicted to MMORPGs
    Unfortunately, I did (amongst other things.)

Quote Originally Posted by ExNinjaTropPervertie View Post
    To me gaming would be a total loss of time. Time is so precious...

A good book is interesting : you learn some vocabulary, you develop your imagination, your enjoy the author's tricks and traps, and you are into a new world.

Be on a forum is interesting : you are sharing informations with real people (I don't care if I see them or not) who can think about your own ideas on many subjects. And vice versa.

But that probably depends on how many hours you are playing, which kind of game it is and so on...

I know yes... some games are said to be very educational.
    But yes, it really depends, some of the many games I've played had such great stories, worlds, and even self made languages and names.

Many tactical, chess-like, games are just rudimentary chess, but thinking about how much thought it took in creating these devices wowed me. In some ways, I had as much fun time reading Harry Potter in Elementary school-High School as I was interested in Kingdom Hearts and FFXI. I loved looking at the amount of time it took to create these worlds and stories as much as I loved the world of Harry Potter, Ender's Game, and Bean Trees when I read those respective books.

I ended up having first-hand experiencing on trying to make 3-d models on the computer, and...... it.....was.... hard.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I dunno what kind of games you've been exposed to, but a lot of the ones I've played have done just this.

Particular series like Zero Escape - 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward - have actually introduced me to theoretical concepts such as the Prisoner's Dilemma, Shrodinger's Cat, Morphic Resonance, digital roots and base numbers (these ones are not as theoretically I guess haha). Also they taught me how the colors of light actually work and combine and what the astrological symbol is for each planet - I guess a Google search would have sufficed for that one. Other games like Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney allowed me to exercise my ability to make inferences deductions based on given evidence. They also carry out like a story, including plot twists and substantial character development.

I guess on a more mainstream scale (even though the games mentioned above have been picked up by a larger audience), Pokemon taught me how to strategize and make decisions within a given system - albeit mostly unconscious. When I was younger I learned a lot of vocabulary from it as well. But most importantly it greatly engages your imagination and allows you to project whatever you feel into this world and make it your own.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I dunno what kind of games you've been exposed to, but a lot of the ones I've played have done just this.

Particular series like Zero Escape - 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward - have actually introduced me to theoretical concepts such as the Prisoner's Dilemma, Shrodinger's Cat, Morphic Resonance, digital roots and base numbers (these ones are not as theoretically I guess haha). Also they taught me how the colors of light actually work and combine and what the astrological symbol is for each planet - I guess a Google search would have sufficed for that one. Other games like Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney allowed me to exercise my ability to make inferences deductions based on given evidence. They also carry out like a story, including plot twists and substantial character development.

I guess on a more mainstream scale (even though the games mentioned above have been picked up by a larger audience), Pokemon taught me how to strategize and make decisions within a given system - albeit mostly unconscious. When I was younger I learned a lot of vocabulary from it as well. But most importantly it greatly engages your imagination and allows you to project whatever you feel into this world and make it your own.
    *thumbs up*

Star Ocean is actually the game that got me into studying quantum mechanics. And my first taste of love was Squall and Rinoa in FFVIII

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Well...I guess I have to meet at least once in my life a gamer boy or girl who knows how to explains me (directLIVE) all the benefits.
    A friend of mine is a gamer (as well as his girlfriend). It's incredible how many hours they can play in those virtual worlds...
    It seems much more addictive than a book. It is probably the reason why I my curiosity very limited when you speak of that subject.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Unfortunately, I did (amongst other things.)
    You had one job!

Anyways,

one should have a job to pay the expenses though

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sounds like Minecraft.