User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Bored

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    60%
    Only 60 percent chance of cutting it half or only can cut 60 percent off?

Forever.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Only 60 percent chance of cutting it half or only can cut 60 percent off?
    Neither. It's 60% easy.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think you can answer yourself the questions which you asked. The truth is that which corresponds to the facts. There are some who seek true theories and others who seek useful theories. There are fewer true theories than there are useful theories, and while true theories are always useful, useful theories are not always true. In any case, you can choose between whichever goal you like, since the two have no special claim on scientific investigation, which can stumble upon either. Personally, I am far more interested in the truth, and I suspect that you are too.
    The truth is that which corresponds to the facts, but our data sets are ultimately always incomplete. Once I thought the Newtonian universe was true, but now I see that it is a narrower version of the Einsteinian universe. If something so seemingly flawless as Newtonian physics can be a shadow of the truth, then what isn't? Ultimately all I can know are the things which haven't proven to be false.

Your assertion is everything that is true is also useful. I suppose there is some reason to that, since if an idea isn't useful then we really shouldn't care if it is true or not. So if we study the set of useful ideas, then a subset of that would be true ideas, and that subset can be the empty set.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Did Faith leave?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Neither. It's 60% easy.
    "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The truth is that which corresponds to the facts, but our data sets are ultimately always incomplete.
    That is irrelevent. If a statement is true then it doesn't matter if there is no data set, since the facts do not depend upon our investigation of them.

Once I thought the Newtonian universe was true, but now I see that it is a narrower version of the Einsteinian universe. If something so seemingly flawless as Newtonian physics can be a shadow of the truth, then what isn't? Ultimately all I can know are the things which haven't proven to be false.
    Do not worry yourself with what you can and can't "know".

Your assertion is everything that is true is also useful. I suppose there is some reason to that, since if an idea isn't useful then we really shouldn't care if it is true or not. So if we study the set of useful ideas, then a subset of that would be true ideas, and that subset can be the empty set.
    The empty set has no truth-value. But yes, true ideas are useful because they allow us to organise our activities around the facts, not in conflict with the facts--in other words, construct useful technology and develop effective techniques. There are also useful false ideas, but a true idea will always be more useful (except, perhaps, if you are a politician).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Did Faith leave?
    Faith is back in Alabama and I shall be joining her there again soon.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Faith is back in Alabama and I shall be joining her there again soon.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What is a Tootsie Pop?
    A spherical lollipop with a chewy chocolate-ish center.

[youtube=LZ0epRjfGLw]Yay US pop culture![/youtube]
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

That is irrelevent. If a statement is true then it doesn't matter if there is no data set, since the facts do not depend upon our investigation of them.

Do not worry yourself with what you can and can't "know".
    I do not understand these two statements taken together. You say are saying that the facts exist whether or not we know them, but I shouldn't be concerned with what I can and can't know? Put together this means that I shouldn't be concerned with the facts, which means I shouldn't be considered with the truth.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com