User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 93

Thread: Bored

  1. #41
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    60%
    Only 60 percent chance of cutting it half or only can cut 60 percent off?

    Forever.

  2. #42
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Only 60 percent chance of cutting it half or only can cut 60 percent off?
    Neither. It's 60% easy.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  3. #43
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I think you can answer yourself the questions which you asked. The truth is that which corresponds to the facts. There are some who seek true theories and others who seek useful theories. There are fewer true theories than there are useful theories, and while true theories are always useful, useful theories are not always true. In any case, you can choose between whichever goal you like, since the two have no special claim on scientific investigation, which can stumble upon either. Personally, I am far more interested in the truth, and I suspect that you are too.
    The truth is that which corresponds to the facts, but our data sets are ultimately always incomplete. Once I thought the Newtonian universe was true, but now I see that it is a narrower version of the Einsteinian universe. If something so seemingly flawless as Newtonian physics can be a shadow of the truth, then what isn't? Ultimately all I can know are the things which haven't proven to be false.

    Your assertion is everything that is true is also useful. I suppose there is some reason to that, since if an idea isn't useful then we really shouldn't care if it is true or not. So if we study the set of useful ideas, then a subset of that would be true ideas, and that subset can be the empty set.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #44
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Did Faith leave?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  5. #45
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Neither. It's 60% easy.
    "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #46
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The truth is that which corresponds to the facts, but our data sets are ultimately always incomplete.
    That is irrelevent. If a statement is true then it doesn't matter if there is no data set, since the facts do not depend upon our investigation of them.

    Once I thought the Newtonian universe was true, but now I see that it is a narrower version of the Einsteinian universe. If something so seemingly flawless as Newtonian physics can be a shadow of the truth, then what isn't? Ultimately all I can know are the things which haven't proven to be false.
    Do not worry yourself with what you can and can't "know".

    Your assertion is everything that is true is also useful. I suppose there is some reason to that, since if an idea isn't useful then we really shouldn't care if it is true or not. So if we study the set of useful ideas, then a subset of that would be true ideas, and that subset can be the empty set.
    The empty set has no truth-value. But yes, true ideas are useful because they allow us to organise our activities around the facts, not in conflict with the facts--in other words, construct useful technology and develop effective techniques. There are also useful false ideas, but a true idea will always be more useful (except, perhaps, if you are a politician).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  7. #47
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Did Faith leave?
    Faith is back in Alabama and I shall be joining her there again soon.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  8. #48
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Faith is back in Alabama and I shall be joining her there again soon.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  9. #49
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post


    What is a Tootsie Pop?
    A spherical lollipop with a chewy chocolate-ish center.

    [youtube=LZ0epRjfGLw]Yay US pop culture![/youtube]
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  10. #50
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    That is irrelevent. If a statement is true then it doesn't matter if there is no data set, since the facts do not depend upon our investigation of them.

    Do not worry yourself with what you can and can't "know".
    I do not understand these two statements taken together. You say are saying that the facts exist whether or not we know them, but I shouldn't be concerned with what I can and can't know? Put together this means that I shouldn't be concerned with the facts, which means I shouldn't be considered with the truth.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Why is INTJforum So Boring?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 443
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM
  2. [NF] NFs -- Are you BORED?
    By CzeCze in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
  3. bluebell is bored
    By bluebell in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 02:28 AM
  4. [NF] NFs: are you boring?
    By MacGuffin in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
  5. [INTJ] Posts here mean I'm bored
    By Wolf in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO