Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by st-t-toat View Post
    when a person whom you do not know scrolls through your posts, do they really get the feel of the real ... you?
    They could be spot on, or they could not be. Of course posts reflect thoughts, or at least what one's thinking about. How others choose to extrapolate to form a picture of what I actually am, for good or for bad, is up to them. But not every picture of me that's bad is necessarily wrong, either.

In addition, maintaining an online persona that's too much different from one's own is like any other form of stretching the truth: it can be difficult to pull off. If one's speaking the truth, it's easier to fill in holes. One has the truth to observe or recollect and/or fall back upon, which is easier to track than fabrication.

It's not worth the effort to impress. I'd rather just 'be.'
    do you care?
    Only if it's needed for the sake of discussion. Which it rarely is. So, pretty much 'no.'

People gonna think what they gonna think.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

my dear Mole

thank you

but we told the medium is the message?

when one steps back into reality, what medium is in play there?

what medium shapes our psyches in the real world?

do we again dwell on content, rather than effects?

does reality, too, just become ... illusion?
    This is a very good question, my dear Mr St-t-toat. The only approach I can make to answering it is to compare media.

So one of our first media is the spoken word, then historically we moved to cave drawings, then to manuscripts, then to print, then to the electric telegraph, telephone, radio, TV, computer and the net.

The spoken word is generally considered to be reality but by the time we reach the net, the net is considered to be virtual reality.

I think this is special pleading and the net another medium like the spoken word.

Of course all new media appear to be in some way not real. This is simply because the content of any medium is the previous medium, just as theatre is the content of the movies, and the manuscript is the content of the printing press.

An interesting question we are unable to answer is, of what medium will our present electronic medium be the content of? Who knows?

The general principle is our present environment is invisible, and the content of our present environment is the previous environment.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

These questions are always interesting and I've seen them before.

I often ask myself them. So far I've broken it down to a simple notion: it's as true to me as any other thought or concept that arises and what's there has always been there, if people listened.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

when a person whom you do not know scrolls through your posts, do they really get the feel of the real ... you? do you care?
    Hardly. No, I do not care.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Probably the important things on Typology Central are that we are being psychologically shaped by an electronic medium, and that this is hidden from us because content of our electronic medium is print.

So the really important question to ask ourselves is, how are we being psychologically shaped on this electronic medium?

This is a difficult question to answer because we are the very psyches that are being shaped.

And this is a difficult question to answer because our psyches focus on the content of the medium rather than the effects of the medium itself.

So I think it is fair to say that we are being unconsciously shaped by Typology Central, while at the same time having the illusion we are in conscious control.
    But if u are aware of the medium then you should be shaped in a way that is appropriate for the medium...not everyone does this though. TV is a perfect example. Tv will shape others even though it is a figment of someone imagination. A scripted interaction as if it was real, exciting, and random. Same with books.

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    But if u are aware of the medium then you should be shaped in a way that is appropriate for the medium...not everyone does this though. TV is a perfect example. Tv will shape others even though it is a figment of someone imagination. A scripted interaction as if it was real, exciting, and random. Same with books.
    Books create the literate individual with a point of view who is emotionally disengaged.

While all the electronic media, from the electric telegraph, the telephone, the radio, the television, and the internet, create electronic tribes (etribes) in the global village. The etribes are emotionally engaged in real time.

And the content of the electric media is the previous medium, namely print. We see that here on Typology Central were we are now reading and writing, not print, but electronic print (eprint). So print is the content of eprint.

So the elecronic medium (emedium) of Typology Central is shaping our psyches as part of the etribe of Typology Central.

The medium is the message.

MBTI
    INFJ

life through the typologycentral lense ...
    I got it on my phone now... my PHONE.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    I got it on my phone now... my PHONE.. lol
    This opens an interesting question as some of us make the distinction between sincere and phoney. And of course print is sincere while the phone is phoney.

Who would have guessed?

Perhaps if we knew that the first book printed was the Bible and so print was inherently sincere, while the phone keeps ringing and interrupts our reading. The phone is like the apple in the garden of print, a constant temptation, a temptation women rarely resist. And women, like Eve, want us to talk to them too, on the phone. In fact the last thing a woman will say on a first date is, You will ring me, won't you?