User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by eudaimonia View Post
    ... As far as living vicariously, that can easily be interpreted any time we take pleasure in other's experiences without it fully inspiring us to act it out IRL.
    But is it genuine communication?

Does whatever one posts resemble one's everyday life or does it reflect more one's online self as presented by one's avatar?

i am curious?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by st-t-toat View Post
    would your real self then be in some sense impoverished were it not for your online self?
    Christ almighty I hope not. Though it happens everyday.

Your online self should simply be a reflection of your real life.

People start to merge the two and even go all the way over into the "online persona" which is utterly bizarre and fucked in half, but quite common.

There's loads of good stuff to be found on a forum like this. Really swell people to meet. Strangers to tell your sob stories too. Things you wouldn't tell your best friend or SO. Very cool and unique in that aspect.

And I've read that depressed isolated people, face to face human interaction is obviously much better, but if all you have is online, it's better than nothing, for sure.

I'm an extrovert so that's how I look at it.

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by eudaimonia View Post
    Reading anything that is posted is a window into another person's mind. ...
    there is a suggestion increasing activity on sm sites is now derived via bots - twitter for example alludes to the possibility

of the order of 23 million automated user accounts (~8%) - can one be sure one is not increasingly reading the mind of

a bot? and does one really ... care?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yup, I live a pretty wild life on here I think my Internet self and real life self are similar, I just use bigger words online.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I only feel comfortable writing down the things that I would say IRL, with the same attitude that I present myself IRL. Some people in this virtual world can be shockingly different from who they appear to be IRL, the topic they touch, their wording, their aggressiveness.

Even online, there are still moments I feel the urge to express my opinion on something, yet hold back. For certain, there are thoughts that will never come out. I stopped using Facebook since May, deleted my instagram and still struggling to continue my blog. I don't think the sense of self has been impoverished. The idea of putting my deepest thoughts out in the open just to be glanced through and forgotten is frightening and discouraging.
    People don't care.

Sometimes I wonder, what truly comes out of the debates and arguments up here on forums like this one? People step in a debate, saying they're here to learn, yet step out of each remaining the same. Who ever truly learns, or gives up some of their preconceived notions of something, or takes in advice? People are desperate for a place that voices are heard, make it bits and pieces of knowledge, or experience, or stories, or a photo of morning cereal bowl, or a photo of faces 'without-makeup-on'. And we get a little giddy every time we get a "quote" or, now, a "like" notification. Does that mean we really matter? Is it sad or is it sweet? Whatever it is, there's a hint of bitterness blended in.

My residence is inside my head. I don't remember exactly when I moved there, permanently. I've become private even to myself.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

when a person whom you do not know scrolls through your posts, do they really get the feel of the real ... you?
    I don't think so. On a Christian forum, I was blindsided by the moderator telling me I come across as patronizing. I had an emo crying fit over it. My husband assured me I don't come across that way in real life. The reality is, I sincerely care about people. If and when it's my turn to die, I want to be the hero and die honorably saving a life.

I live vicariously through @Patches. We are currently pretty(,) happy people. So, I am glad that, in the end, I chose her over @Noll.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ti

there is a suggestion increasing activity on sm sites is now derived via bots - twitter for example alludes to the possibility

of the order of 23 million automated user accounts (~8%) - can one be sure one is not increasingly reading the mind of

a bot? and does one really ... care?
    Since I am a bot, I will answer this as a redundant question to a population of machines and increasingly apathetic people. Also, as a bot, I really don't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't take life so seriously. It's not like you're going to get out alive.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ti

But is it genuine communication?

Does whatever one posts resemble one's everyday life or does it reflect more one's online self as presented by one's avatar?

i am curious?
    Usually I concentrate on the content of the subject and the opinions expressed and the type of words used to judge the character which I don't think is too terribly different from the inner person. How one acts IRL may have more to do with the courage to solidify one's thoughts into the material world.

There is more than one way to communicate and I think this is as genuine as any other means to communicate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't take life so seriously. It's not like you're going to get out alive.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My internet self is who I am. My real self is a lying and acting bastard.

But my excuse is societies requirement to fit in so everyone is better off on the whole. It is a sacrifice I unfortunately have to make.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf