123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Default Guys What Could I Do At Work? Please

Yeah so it's not like I don't have enough work, I always have work to do at work, but I know how to avoid it when I have the chance, and at those moments when I'm avoiding work I'm just kind of feeling the boredom.
    I have network restrictions (they are set up and administered by an external IT company) that are so well done and all encompassing (all games sites and social networks are blocked, and trying to access websites with proxies is immediately recognized as "proxy avoidance") that I firmly believe that not even a true hacker could bypass them, let alone someone as ignorant in that field as me. So no point in trying that. Definitely not. And I can't even access this forum from there.
    So. Any ideas about what I could do at work when I'm not working? I would appreciate your input on this subject, but please only serious replies.

The rules are:
    1. I have to be physically present in my office
    2. I have two coworkers in my office so I have to try not to make it obvious in front of them that I'm not working (which excludes reading books, making selfies with my phone and such)

Please feel free to share your ideas of all sorts. They will be carefully considered.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Plugin a USB wifi adapter and create a mobile hotspot with your phone?

That's what I would do anyways.

Of course, that would require you to have a mobile phone with unlimited or at least decent bandwidth usage or it might end up being a bit costly.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes iHeartCats, vorfreude liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Depends on your field and/or what your job entails. e.g. if you're reading to "broaden your horizons in your field," you might get away with that.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes iHeartCats liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Plugin a USB wifi adapter and create a mobile hotspot with your phone?

That's what I would do anyways.

Of course, that would require you to have a mobile phone with unlimited or at least decent bandwidth usage or it might end up being a bit costly.
    Yes. Thanks.
    We have those all-in-one desktop computers... I haven't even looked for the USB port yet (we got those new ones a couple of days ago), but it should exist somewhere on that thing, according to what I've read about all-in-one computer just now.
    It seems that my mobile phone network doesn't offer any rates with unlimited bandwidth usage (how outdated is that).

Anyway, it is a very good idea, I must find out if any other mobile networks in my country offer unlimited bandwidth usage for a reasonable price, if some of them do, I'm pretty sure I couldn't resist buying a new SIM card from another mobile network provider and trying it out.

MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by iHeartCats View Post
    unlimited bandwidth usage
    I think mobile bandwidth would only be an issue if you're streaming Netflix and Pandora at the same time.

Slight exaggeration. But if you're just mucking around on the web, bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Way back in undergrad, I'd tether my laptop to my phone wirelessly. Never had a problem.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Depends on your field and/or what your job entails. e.g. if you're reading to "broaden your horizons in your field," you might get away with that.
    The only kind of books I would want to read there are crime novels........
    Oh! I could take one of my novels to a copy shop, have it copied to make it look like printed/copied study material, and then "study" from it at work. Yes.

MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by iHeartCats View Post
    The only kind of books I would want to read there are crime novels........
    Oh! I could take one of my novels to a copy shop, have it copied to make it look like printed/copied study material, and then "study" from it at work. Yes.
    Still too much work. Use a dust cover from some other relevant book and slip it over your novel.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"

- Elevenetics

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

I think mobile bandwidth would only be an issue if you're streaming Netflix and Pandora at the same time.

Slight exaggeration. But if you're just mucking around on the web, bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Way back in undergrad, I'd tether my laptop to my phone wirelessly. Never had a problem.
    It's not the speed that is the issue (maybe I expressed myself wrong)......Where I live, mobile network providers only offer 1-3 GB of Internet per month for a fixed monthly fee (as far as I know). I'm pretty sure I would exceed that in a week at most, even if I didn't watch any videos there. And when you use that 1 GB, then they by default go back to charging you a ridiculously expensive fee for mobile Internet browsing.
    My only hope is finding a mobile network provider that offers flat Internet rate for a reasonable monthly fee.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you could write your own crime novel!

also things like crosswords and such don't require the internet at all...

or reorganize the office for maximum efficiency and minimum anybody else having a view of what you're doing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Still too much work. Use a dust cover from some other relevant book and slip it over your novel.
    Yes, I see your point. But unfortunately, my coworkers are very curious ladies. They would notice immediately. I must be very sneaky.