User Tag List

12 Last

Default dream techniques

so sort of a jung related topic for a first *real* post? i have a bunch of probably annoying questions to ask about yalls dream lives.

-how often do you guys remember your dreams?
    -do you have color/sound/smell in your dreams
    -do you record your dreams and if so, how
    -do you have a most common dream type (anxiety, flying, etc.)
    -any lucid dreamers?
    -were your dream lives markedly different as a kid?
    -repetitive dreams/nightmares?
    -have you noticed any similarities you might share with fellow types that have to do with types of dreams..or anything related to dreaming
    -experience hypagogic jerks? how often?
    -have you figured out any tricks for manipulating your dreams (other than lucid dreaming?)
    -if you fly in your dreams, describe your flying style.

you can even share your most recent dream(s), altho as im sure you all know, sharing actual dreams is usually really boring for everyone but the person talking about their dream. but go ahead anyway, i'm curious 8)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

-how often do you guys remember your dreams?

Most of the time I'll remember them for a while after experiencing them. Sans recording them, they'll tend to fade unless they were reoccurring or strikingly memorable.

I experience all of those things in dreams.. or at least I think I do.

usually I type them up as soon as I wake up if I want to record them for analyzing later. My technique that's worked best so far:
    - Sit with my eyes closed for a moment as soon as I realize I've woken up.
    - Go through the main ideas of the dreams in chronological order
    - Sort through the details of the main ideas leading to one another, or important things like if a place was orange vs normal colors or if a book had writing in it... This whole process shouldn't take more than a minute.
    - Then I write it down but I do it in that order again. The main ideas, the big details, all the way to the gritty details that are getting fuzzy by then.
    - Then I make more of a cohesive story out of it, a descriptive essay of sorts, and see if that jogs my memory while I'm editting and writing it.

The whole thing usually takes abut 5-10 minutes.

A few... but not just one particular that stands out except the fact much of it happens in nature and in outlandish situations of nature at that.

-any lucid dreamers?

Very rarely have I realized I was sleeping while dreaming. I always wake up soon after I realize I'm sleeping. Example: I'm trying to scream or yell in a dream, or fight back an attacker or something, and I realize I cannot.. I don't move, or I can't move, or I lose my voice.. and I'm questioning why, and my mind jumps to 'because you're trying to in real life and you're paralyzed and you can't because you're just sleeping not being attacked/falling/yelling' and then I realize this, feel it, and wake up.

I want to say yes? I dreamed more dreams that made no sense as a kid. 2-D paper bears running away from a camp fire on a paper mountain while flowers acted like twinkling stars in the sky. No story, no rhyme or reason for any of it.

Constantly. One of the more comforting things about being with someone is that they'll wake me up when they see me struggling with a nightmare of sorts.

-have you noticed any similarities you might share with fellow types that have to do with types of dreams..or anything related to dreaming

Everything is pretty idealistic in my dreams. I'm awesome. I can fly. Or I can kick ass. I can save people. I'm not just in a forest.. I'm in a deep, dark, black forest with scary things in it and giant spiders. My imagination is allowed to run wild and it tends to as a result.

More when I was a teenager as I didn't sleep much, but I twitch when falling asleep a little bit most times and I've noticed most people do as well--an arm or leg twitching a bit when they really fall into an unconscious state. I've had my fair share of "falling awake" moments of shock, but I noticed that whenever I experienced those I was either sitting upright or I was extremely tired and I was falling asleep very rapidly. Slow, methodical normal sleep doesn't make that happen for me.

-have you figured out any tricks for manipulating your dreams (other than lucid dreaming?)

None. The only thing I've learned is that my dreams feel extremely realistic to me, and sometimes I'm unsure of where I am for several moments after waking up.. and I'm not sure if I've woken up to a dream, or from one. It helps a lot to take a moment to lay there with my eyes closed, and process the information one at a time--what my body feels, what I smell, if what I am touching is familiar, before I open my eyes and recall the events leading up to waking up.

Usually without wings, and the ability to go really fast like a roller coaster ride almost--with sudden twists and turns and maneuvers. I like dreams where I fly. Either that or I slowly float, like climbing up without any climbing effort on my part.

I have a dream journal I update periodically if you're truly curious, but I won't bore you here with them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Have always been deeply involved in my dreams. I don't feel like filling out the questionnaire though..
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by toluene View Post
    so sort of a jung related topic for a first *real* post? i have a bunch of probably annoying questions to ask about yalls dream lives.

-how often do you guys remember your dreams?: most of the time if i get quality sleep. even (I actually use my dream remembering as a gauge of the quality of sleep i'm getting)
    -any lucid dreamers?

you can even share your most recent dream(s), altho as im sure you all know, sharing actual dreams is usually really boring for everyone but the person talking about their dream. but go ahead anyway, i'm curious 8)
    1. most of the time if i get quality sleep. even several dreams in a row
    2.yes all of them sometimes i can even feel tactilly
    3.yup, but that's cuz i get excited and want to tell people
    4.lot of death either me dead or dying.
    5.I have on accident a few times, but i don't really try to lucid dream tbh
    6.yes instead of me dying it was everyone else
    7.when I was a kid yes, now nope
    8.not really asked
    9. Yes often when i'm about to fall asleep (if I'm not confusing it with something else)
    10.nope
    11. I don't think I've ever flown in a dream but I have fallen great distances and been perfectly fine

check this thread for people's dreams: What's the Last Memorable Dream You Had?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Evee liked this post

@kyuuei thank for taking the time to write detailed answers! I would LOVE to see your dream journal- i am always fascinated to hear people’s dreams, the bored comment was mostly a joke directed at how often i’ve seen people’s eyes glaze over when i describe my own dreams.
    i have serious trouble gathering the discipline to write down my dreams regularly and i think it impacts my ability to remember them, hearing how other people record their dreams is useful and encouraging.
    i will probably reread your answers and bug you with questions at some point again if that is okay.. < u <

also, the trick you mentioned about staying still was exactly what i was getting at haha- i've even found that practice can allow me to slip back into a dream i wanted to go back into if i manage to lie there still enough. another thing i've found is i can sometimes keep myself from waking up if i realize i'm dreaming by spinning my dream body around in a circle.
    @Evee Ahhh but i love hearing from people who are actively involved with their subconscious.. if there’s anything that sticks out to you that you feel like sharing sometime, let me know 8)

@prplchknz thank you for the link to the dream thread! i knew i should have checked.. thank you for answering my questions and don't feel like you have to answer these also but can you describe any experiences where you clearly remember smelling something in your dreams? I HAVE NEVER SMELLED ANYTHING that i can remember in dreams i'm so curious about smelling in dreams. also do you have dreams where you are already dead/keep dreaming after you die, or do you wake up when you die?

MBTI
    yupp

@prplchknz thank you for the link to the dream thread! i knew i should have checked.. thank you for answering my questions and don't feel like you have to answer these also but can you describe any experiences where you clearly remember smelling something in your dreams? I HAVE NEVER SMELLED ANYTHING that i can remember in dreams i'm so curious about smelling in dreams. also do you have dreams where you are already dead/keep dreaming after you die, or do you wake up when you die?
    I've had dreams where i'm dying but haven't died, and dreams where i'm already dead but never dreams where i start out alive die and keep dreaming. oh wait yes there was one I died and got resurrected and got the super power of repelling potato chip crumbs which was awesome.

I'll have to think on the smelling dreams but when i remember I will tell you
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

@prplchknz repelling potato chip crumbs????? now that is a superpower worth yearning after... i eagerly await information on smelling dreams 8I they are on my bucket list

MBTI
    yupp

@prplchknz repelling potato chip crumbs????? now that is a superpower worth yearning after... i eagerly await information on smelling dreams 8I they are on my bucket list
    I know it be so useful, especially before interviews. you know i get them the strangest of places. not anywhere disgusting, mostly cuz i don't eat them naked
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It seems to me that my dreams come and go in cycles - maybe every two weeks or so? They'll be much more frequent and memorable for a few days, then I go back to occasional yet vivid ones that I don't remember too well.

I've never lucidly dreamt. Dreams are such a strange thing for me, it's like I'm really not even dreaming, but I don't know I'm not in reality when it happens.

As a kid, in my dreams I was constantly getting hurt or being scared, but now all I do is have a good time and get in trouble without considering consequences in my dreams. As a kid my recurring dreams were nightmares, like getting rabies from a wild animal or my teeth getting knocked out. About a year ago I kept having one of a tiger. It was in my house, and I had to go capture it. Now I just see places in my dreams I know I have seen, but I absolutely don't know where and I know they're not from somewhere in real life.

I can't describe the colors, sounds, and smells in my dreams. It's frustrating and hard for me to grasp how they are.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Evee Ahhh but i love hearing from people who are actively involved with their subconscious.. if there’s anything that sticks out to you that you feel like sharing sometime, let me know 8)
    Maybe I will.