User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Hm... I don't relate much at all to Slytherin's ambition considering how much of a lazy, indecisive bum I am. Hufflepuff assumes I care about other people to some extent. Gryffindor puts too much value over being actively fighting trouble and being good n' all that crap... definitely not me. So I guess that leaves me with Ravenclaw? I can accept that... no wait... I definitely am that! If Luna Lovegood is there, then there's no way I could be in any other house! I remember years ago I actually proclaimed love to her... but that needs not be discussed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Pottermore put me in Gryffindor. Looks like the house cup is ours.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I've seen a lot of "which House do you belong in?" quizzes and "how do the Hogwarts Houses match up with MBTI types", but I haven't ever heard much actual discussion of what Houses people feel best suited to or drawn to and why. My apologies if this has already been done - if so, didn't find it in search.
    I appreciate you making this thread, because it encourages people to discuss this in more depth and dispel stereotypes. I'd say the Hogwarts Houses is a valid typing system in its own right and I feel like too many people subscribe to those stereotypes and thus take on a very shallow interpretation which doesn't do the system justice. I've said again and again (to friends and on PerC where I've been much longer) that I want to write better descriptions for the houses. It might be audacious of me to say this, but I don't even think JKR did it justice (Slytherin seems almost irreparably the "evil" house ), though of course it still has potential.

So... Which Hogwarts House do you identify with most, and why?
    Gryffindor. I'm a really indecisive person so it took me an extremely long time to truly think it out and decide upon it... but since I've developed my understanding of the Houses more and learned more of myself, it's hilariously obvious. Why? I will give anything to do what's right. I'm warm and forward and want to take an active role in helping people out. I would die to do what's "chivalrous." I know most people toss that sort of stuff around, but scared as I might be, I couldn't betray my heart. I might hesitate, I might mess up, but again and again, I personally have to face it to be at peace with myself, to come to a decision, and after so much doubt and many experiences struggling with it, I can say with some measure of confidence that I will try and try, I will find a way to tap into that previously quite elusive inner strength. I don't type at Gryffindor because I see myself as "brave" and "daring" by default. It's because I value those things so deeply and I've tried so very hard to develop those characteristics (though I say I've always had potential for it).

Does it seem to fit with your MBTI type? Your Enneagram? Instinctual variant stacking? Do you relate with the characters in that House? Any other interesting related thoughts?
    I would never say that these are the hard and fast rules to this. None of what I said is exclusive to Gryffindor, nor will anything I might write to describe the Houses will be exclusive to an individual House. But I do believe there are general trends and I clearly fit with Gryffindor. With regards to it fitting with JCF (ENFP) / Enneagram (6w7 2w3 1w2) / Instinctual variant stacking (so/sx), I'd say yes, it fits very much so, but again no hard and fast rules to the Hogwarts Houses. I think it's like spirit animals (which I like to play around with :P). Everyone has these unique nuances that come together as a whole to determine the ultimate conclusion, outside of JCF/enneagram I think.

Do I relate to the characters of this House? The funny thing is that if I were to have written the Harry Potter series (LOL I WISH ahaha), I probably would have placed some of the characters in different Houses. It's hard to say, because throughout the series, you see these people do things that do justify that House, but my argument to this is that... this is natural, because all in all, the four Houses represent something in all of us and to think otherwise is flawed logic in my opinion. I think when taken together, they represent a pretty good balance of characteristics. To completely separate yourself from the other Houses is where some people go wrong, I think, because people are much more three-dimensional than is sometimes portrayed in the books/movies. Believing that for the most part, only Gryffindors will do brave and courageous tasks doesn't make sense to me. Nor does believing that for the most part, only Ravenclaws care about knowledge and learning. And so on.

So do I relate to characters in Gryffindor? Yes and no. I wouldn't put too much stock in that because Gryffindor is really the only House that is expanded upon. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw we see very little of. And we only really see one side of Slytherin.

^_^

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I've been unsure of it for a long long time. Recently though after *actually* looking into it and considering what each house actually is and represents, I'm solidly in Slytherin. No question. Pottermore put me in there as well.

The main difference is I'm not all that big on "helping my own kind". I'm generally focused on myself first, and I help those who need it. That said, I am very selective and picky with people, and ultimately am much more inclined to "help my own" at the end of the day. I'm also not a "play to win" kind of person, and do not step on or over people to get ahead. With that said, I always put in my best effort, and I always try to take the top spot. I feel really shitty if I don't meet my own standards which are quite high. Interestingly, many of my friends say I am very aggressive and do play to win quite a lot. I'm just sort of "quiet" with it and sneak up on it. So ultimately I am play to win. The other major points on slytherin are directly true, or there is a hidden aspect to it as well. I've realized over the years, that my reasons for being "sneaky" with these things is to A. not appear as a dick and B. being passive and hidden about it gives you a bigger advantage.

As far as ambitious, no one would mistake me for anything else. That's painfully obvious.

In essence, I'm a covert slytherin, which is ironically a very slytherin thing to be.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

What I think made Slytherin students support Voldemort was a tendency towards conformity. They wanted to maintain proper appearances as means to acheive their ends, and so they tended to side with who they thought had the most power.

Likely, some of them had private doubts about Voldemort, or justified what Voldemort did somehow.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    What I think made Slytherin students support Voldemort was a tendency towards conformity. They wanted to maintain proper appearances as means to acheive their ends, and so they tended to side with who they thought had the most power.

Likely, some of them had private doubts about Voldemort, or justified what Voldemort did somehow.
    I've been known to do such things before so long as "the ends justify the means".

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I've been known to do such things before so long as "the ends justify the means".
    See, I'm not really in favor of that. I tend to think that kind of thinking backfires. That's just my opinion, though.

I like being honest, or at least striving for honesty, and the creation of conditions where it is difficult for honesty to thrive is something I'm opposed to. Such an environment goes against my nature.

I'm not someone who will dedicate my life to doing good, but neither will I be eager to engage in deception or do things that I think are wrong. I don't want to support causes I think are harmful. And I'd like to help make things easier for the do-gooders, or at least try to prevent them from being hindered.

The thing I figured out is that if the do-gooders fail, us ravenclaw dorks are going down with them.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    See, I'm not really in favor of that. I tend to think that kind of thinking backfires. That's just my opinion, though.
    When I've done it it's served me well. It's also resulted in me undoing the person I aligned with for a time since I fundementally disagreed with them outright.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    When I've done it it's served me well. It's also resulted in me undoing the person I aligned with for a time since I fundementally disagreed with them outright.
    Right, but I think your emotional state suffers damage for it.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

If I had gone to Hogwarts, I would have been a geed.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth