User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Living In NYC

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Living In NYC

Does anyone here live in NYC, Would you recommend it?

I used to live in NYC - in Manhattan, specifically. I don't know, it depends on your personality, what you're looking for in a location, and which borough you've chosen. I hated it. I do love cities but Manhattan is very homogenous, very pretentious, and exceedingly expensive.
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I used to live in NYC - in Manhattan, specifically. I don't know, it depends on your personality, what you're looking for in a location, and which borough you've chosen. I hated it. I do love cities but Manhattan is very homogenous, very pretentious, and exceedingly expensive.
    Old Money Socialites... I was thinking of moving to Bushwick

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Old Money Socialites... I was thinking of moving to Bushwick
    I took the train over to Brooklyn a couple of times. I'm not overly familiar with the area but I liked what I saw. Definitely better than Chelsea, I'd imagine.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I think cities are fine for a visit, ok to go to if you have to work there, but if I can avoid it I don't want to live in any.

The idea of being surrounded by millions of people, all huddled together in a relatively small area of space, and the pressure of all those different lives is just a horrible thought. I don't like crowds as it is, but a city is like one big crowd and it's around all the fucking time.

The insanity and pressures just leap from person to person like an electric shock until it erupts in some form.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think cities are fine for a visit, ok to go to if you have to work there, but if I can avoid it I don't want to live in any.

The idea of being surrounded by millions of people, all huddled together in a relatively small area of space, and the pressure of all those different lives is just a horrible thought. I don't like crowds as it is, but a city is like one big crowd and it's around all the fucking time.

The insanity and pressures just leap from person to person like an electric shock until it erupts in some form.
    I love the city for the privacy it provides

I love the city for the privacy it provides
    I guess I'm biased against the notion of privacy in cities, when living in England with a ridiculous number of CCTV cameras, particularly in the cities. Also while some small towns and villages often have gossipy *we know everyone round here* social cultures, there are plenty who don't.

Having been to many removed and small country areas, I've found them particularly private.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I guess I'm biased against the notion of privacy in cities, when living in England with a ridiculous number of CCTV cameras, particularly in the cities. Also while some small towns and villages often have gossipy *we know everyone round here* social cultures, there are plenty who don't.

Having been to many removed and small country areas, I've found them particularly private.
    That's another thing I can't do without... I love to party there is nothing that makes me happier then a cocktail with LSD

That's another thing I can't do without... I love to party there is nothing that makes me happier then a cocktail with LSD
    *Shrug*

Parties can be ok I suppose. I'll take or leave the cocktail though.

- A.A. Milne.

across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

I spent about 5 weeks in NYC a couple of years ago. I liked it a lot. I don't know what it would be like if I actually lived there though...I was just vacationing.